McDaniel should've known Fangio scheme wouldn't work with our players? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McDaniel should've known Fangio scheme wouldn't work with our players?

What makes you think he didn't?

To be fair, I don't know what the conversations were behind the scenes, but I think it is clear that there are many different narratives here and I'm not sure I would assume the worst on the part of McD. These are not the types of conversations or management issues you will likely see be discussed publicly.
They may have talked about it. But did you see any major adjustments during the year. I didn't. Seen minor changes, some forced due to injury. But nothing of significance. Which is why we got killed in the middle of the field all year long. McD had the chance to force it in the Titans game and didn't. I mean, he might of tried, and vic refused. I just don't see McD as a guy that even pays attention to the defense. **** even on offense he doesn't! Lol just keeps calling the same plays even when the defense stops it!

Defense was stellar considering the injuries. Only blind idiots could have seen it any other way. Fangio was a great coach. Our players were heroes out there.

They may have talked about it. But did you see any major adjustments during the year. I didn't. Seen minor changes, some forced due to injury. But nothing of significance. Which is why we got killed in the middle of the field all year long. McD had the chance to force it in the Titans game and didn't. I mean, he might of tried, and vic refused. I just don't see McD as a guy that even pays attention to the defense. **** even on offense he doesn't! Lol just keeps calling the same plays even when the defense stops it!
It will not surprise you, that I don't agree.

I see McD as someone who has enough self confidence to try to hire the best defensive coordinator he possibly could. There is no way to know why Fangio did what he did.....but you can clearly see the defensive play calling frustrated many of our key players on defense. I don't buy into the narrative he doesn't pay attention to the defense, he hired the best in the business supposedly because he understands the importance of the defense and made Fangio the highest paid D-Coordinator in the league. The Fins removed all of the obstacles for Fangio to be successful and yet he couldn't connect with the players or use them effectively.....and I don't believe Fangio simply forgot how to coach, he clearly was just not personally invested in being in Miami. I think the fact that the Philly job was waiting for him and he took it without considering other offers is telling in this situation. It is also telling that a not 100% Fangio produced a pretty good product when everyone was healthy which speaks to his coaching ability

I don't think blaming McD for this makes much sense. In my view, he did what he should have done and Fangio holds the responsibility of his own failures.

Defense was stellar considering the injuries. Only blind idiots could have seen it any other way. Fangio was a great coach. Our players were heroes out there.
Let's not get carried away. He was a solid coach in terms of Xs & Is. He had other failing that stood in the way of being "great" for the Dolphins.

I will admit, when others were touting him as some kind of " second coming", I could see it was not a great match. Some of that was due to a philosophy that I was luke warm about, but I also do not think "old school" approaches work in most circumstances today.

Last edited:
McD is on his 3rd DC in 3 years with experience levels and styles all over the place.

Hard to claim ignorance on McD’s behalf… Coyle and Fangio were both known commodities. I don’t think McD knows what he wants on defense.

Last edited:
It will not surprise you, that I don't agree.

I see McD as someone who has enough self confidence to try to hire the best defensive coordinator he possibly could. There is no way to know why Fangio did what he did.....but you can clearly see the defensive play calling frustrated many of our key players on defense. I don't buy into the narrative he doesn't pay attention to the defense, he hired the best in the business supposedly because he understands the importance of the defense and made Fangio the highest paid D-Coordinator in the league. The Fins removed all of the obstacles for Fangio to be successful and yet he couldn't connect with the players or use them effectively.....and I don't believe Fangio simply forgot how to coach, he clearly was just not personally invested in being in Miami. I think the fact that the Philly job was waiting for him and he took it without considering other offers is telling in this situation. It is also telling that a not 100% Fangio produced a pretty good product when everyone was healthy which speaks to his coaching ability

I don't think blaming McD for this makes much sense. In my view, he did what he should have done and Fangio holds the responsibility of his own failures.
Of course you don't! Lol. It's all good. Convos like this I like. Not the personal attack stuff.

But anyway, since when does the boss get absolved of his employees mistakes? The Titans game was the biggest tell for me. In that case, McDaniel should've seen that coming. I mean ****, we all seen it coming. Vic didn't adjust. McDaniel should have cut his Mike (if he told Vic to adjust and Vic refused) and forced the change. That's part of the problem with hiring coaches that have absolutely no experience, especially as a coordinator. Which we've been doing the past 4 coaches for Christ sakes!

only mistake they made with vic is that they hired him when they probably should have read the tea leaves and realized he wasn't excited about joining this team. When you get major delay for two weeks signing and have to throw a boatload of money at the guy to make him come here. He simply didn't want to be in florida or a miami dolphin and he didn't like the culture we had here. You will see a much better vic fangio next year with the eagles. Cause he wants to be there. It sucks but I am happy with our move to cut bait after one year and hire Weaver.

Of course you don't! Lol. It's all good. Convos like this I like. Not the personal attack stuff.

But anyway, since when does the boss get absolved of his employees mistakes? The Titans game was the biggest tell for me. In that case, McDaniel should've seen that coming. I mean ****, we all seen it coming. Vic didn't adjust. McDaniel should have cut his Mike (if he told Vic to adjust and Vic refused) and forced the change. That's part of the problem with hiring coaches that have absolutely no experience, especially as a coordinator. Which we've been doing the past 4 coaches for Christ sakes!
Yikes!

You either trust your coaches and subordinates or you shouldn't have them on the team. The end of the Titan's game was certainly a disaster, but the idea of a HC simply taking over the defense in the final 4 minutes of a game is a stretch and I would reasonably guess doesn't happen very often.

I'm not a fan of the argument about previous head coaching experience either. There was a time when I was advocating for this (when Philbin was hired, I was on the Shanahan train ) but I actually think McD is an excellent hire and when you look at the NFL world, first time HC's have had quite a bit of success. Each individual is different and all I do is see McD taking steps to try to make the team better. He certainly has some areas that aren't perfect and needs improvement, but who doesn't

Let's not get carried away. He was a solid coach in terms of Xs & Is. He had other failing that stood in the way of being "great" for the Dolphins.

I will admit, when others were touting him as some kind of " second coming", I could see it was not a great match. Some of that was due to a philosophy that I was like warm about, but I also do not think "old school" approaches work in most circumstances today.
Agreed, the old school of refusing to adjust is out of style and must change

Yikes!

You either trust your coaches and subordinates or you shouldn't have them on the team. The end of the Titan's game was certainly a disaster, but the idea of a HC simply taking over the defense in the final 4 minutes of a game is a stretch and I would reasonably guess doesn't happen very often.

I'm not a fan of the argument about previous head coaching experience either. There was a time when I was advocating for this (when Philbin was hired, I was on the Shanahan train ) but I actually think McD is an excellent hire and when you look at the NFL world, first time HC's have had quite a bit of success. Each individual is different and all I do is see McD taking steps to try to make the team better. He certainly has some areas that aren't perfect and needs improvement, but who doesn't
I'm hoping McDaniel improves but cmon man, act like a HC hasn't ever taken over or adjusted the DC or OCs decisions in game? Also, the HC is the boss, bottom line. So if one of his employees doesn't do what they're told, is he supposed to just let them? Is that why you still like Grier, because nothing is his fault he only does what the coaches want?

Agreed, the old school of refusing to adjust is out of style and must change
Did I say anything about adjustments?

I don't have any clue where you get the impression "old school" means unwilling to adjust. Coordinators have been making adjustments for over a century. Sometimes they work. Sometimes they don't.

I'm hoping McDaniel improves but cmon man, act like a HC hasn't ever taken over or adjusted the DC or OCs decisions in game? Also, the HC is the boss, bottom line. So if one of his employees doesn't do what they're told, is he supposed to just let them? Is that why you still like Grier, because nothing is his fault he only does what the coaches want?
McDaniel said when Fangio was hired he would be the HC of the defense. Run it how he wanted.

Hence one of the reasons he was let go. He was stubborn. We don't know what was said between the two but he is gone for a reason.

McD is on his 3rd DC in 3 years with experience levels and styles all over the place.

Hard to claim ignorance on McD’s behalf… Coyle and Fangio were both known commodities. I don’t think McD knows what he wants on defense.

This is a reach. Josh Boyer was pushed on him when he took the job. And Fangio was the best DC on the market when hired, who really wanted the Philly job last year.

McDaniel said when Fangio was hired he would be the HC of the defense. Run it how he wanted.

Hence one of the reasons he was let go. He was stubborn. We don't know what was said between the two but he is gone for a reason.
Yes but even still, the CDR still has to step in if one of his soldiers isn't following orders no? But anyway it's a moot point at this time. I just don't think it's good that McDaniel couldn't reign in the ropes. Alos, I don't like that our HC is only worried about one side of the ball. Not a good thing for the team. Imo of course

Back
Top Bottom