McDaniel should've known Fangio scheme wouldn't work with our players? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McDaniel should've known Fangio scheme wouldn't work with our players?

No offense to the OP, but the premise of this thread is incorrect. Fangio not having the right players for his scheme wasn’t the issue. Once the players got comfy playing in the system and Ramsey returned to the field, we saw that they could run his system just fine.

The problem was Vic deciding he wanted to be a petulant child and not let anybody else play in his sandbox. A good example is Cam Smith. I’ve seen a lot of discussion about that player this offseason and how for whatever reason, he wasn’t a fit for what Fangio wanted to do, but something I’m not seeing brought up NEARLY enough is the fact that Fangio was ALREADY OUR ****ING DC WHEN THE CAM SMITH PICK WAS MADE!!! It’s not as if Smith was picked before Vic came aboard. Say what you want about Grier, but the man simply does not draft players if they’re not a scheme fit for his coaches and he seeks coach input on every single player he drafts. There is a 0% chance that Miami drafts Cam Smith if Fangio says “I can’t use that kid”. So to make the Cam Smith/Vic Fangio saga even more frustrating is the fact that Vic absolutely had to be on board with drafting the kid or Grier wouldn’t have picked him to begin with.

they were good until we have edge players who were lawnkeepers the week before
Funny enough, they were still good enough.

The performances we got from defense the last two “must win” games were good enough if our offense was complimentary.

The thread starter promotes that fangios scheme didn’t work - it worked just fine. Maybe it wasn’t a personality mesh, I’ll buy that… but on the field the players and the scheme performed well and even with injuries.

I'm completely puzzled by these statements. We had a top 10 defense. Yes, we could have played better. I would have like to see Ramsey shadow top WRs, more blitzing, more Cam Smith, press coverage when needed, a different outcome for that Titans game meltdown ....but jeez.

Top 10 is quite respectable. The players seem to fit the scheme, IMO. In fact, I think we were top 5 before that embarrassing Ravens game late in the season.
HI s, I don't really agree with the top 10 ranking, it is like grading on a curve, looks great but not so real. The number one indicator of how good a defense is, points against. Using this stat, Miami ranks 20, think about this out of 32 teams, they were 20. That means they were in the bottom 50%, and it really showed up when it came to playing away and the best offenses in the league. As far as the Fangio/Mikey issue, I think the thought of winning now overcame everyone in the front offices brain as they threw good sense to the Gators, and became obsessed with the win now concept. It was obvious before the hiring that he was not a "collaborative kind of guy", he walked into a culture the he was never ever going to fit. Again, it is amazing how management couldn't see this, "blinded by the light" I guess.

The Ever Glad For The Change In D VIPER

I know we blame Fangio a lot for not utilizing the players the best way but I feel like McDaniel should've realized that scheme wouldn't match the talent we already had.
The Dolphins were one of the best defenses in the league when they had their starters in the lineup and before the defense was decimated by injuries to key starters on the defense.

They were extremely effective against the run and they had the third best sack total in the entire league.

While I didn’t like the way Fangio used Ramsey, overall he did an excellent job with the defense during the season. So I have no idea why you think hiring Fangio was a mistake by McDaniel.

Last edited:
The only problem I had with Vic. Was not giving Smith some time on the field in the blowout wins or loses.
Smith looked good in the preseason would of been nice to see more than the 10 to 15 plays he got.

Yeah, offseason is always slow, and brings out the crazies.
Yep. Just over a fortnight and we'll have FA. This week there will be a lot of restructures and releases. Should be something to discuss from this point forward.

Agreed. I think his heart was never in Miami, (he was watiting for Philly) and we were a 1 year windfall because Ross opened the checkbook and he couldn't refuse it. Good for Ross but a horrible fit for the team and young HC. I look at Fangio like a hooker, we paid, he faked a few orgasms, took our money and departed.
This is how it was. The guy never wanted to ne here and that's what you get. He was just like a hooker except he wasn't any fun! Get lost who needs these take the money and run aholes?

This is how it was. The guy never wanted to ne here and that's what you get. He was just like a hooker except he wasn't any fun! Get lost who needs these take the money and run aholes?
I hope we used protection. 🤣

Funny enough, they were still good enough.

The performances we got from defense the last two “must win” games were good enough if our offense was complimentary.

The thread starter promotes that fangios scheme didn’t work - it worked just fine. Maybe it wasn’t a personality mesh, I’ll buy that… but on the field the players and the scheme performed well and even with injuries.
McD needs to look at himself in the mirror and come clean

And because he didn’t really embrace being here he didn’t wanna take his time with rookies like Smith. He wanted to field vets as to not take any steps backwards. He knew he was outta here real soon

McD needs to look at himself in the mirror and come clean
About what? You don't really expect him to say Fangio was a prima donna who thought he was above the direction of the HC, do you?

The players, as a whole obviously didn't like him. Old school thinking says "who cares?", but I believe it matters, at least to some extent, in today's NFL. It's far easier to replace a coordinator than 20 disgruntled players with crap attitudes.

About what? You don't really expect him to say Fangio was a prima donna who thought he was above the direction of the HC, do you?

The players, as a whole obviously didn't like him. Old school thinking says "who cares?", but I believe it matters, at least to some extent, in today's NFL. It's far easier to replace a coordinator than 20 disgruntled players with crap attitudes.
I don’t care what the players thought of him the defense played well enough the second half of the season to win
Offense didn’t help the defense at all
And I’m only saying this if McD deep down is harboring resentment about Fangio’s issues because McD had a lot of his own on his side of the ball

I don’t care what the players thought of him the defense played well enough the second half of the season to win
Offense didn’t help the defense at all
And I’m only saying this if McD deep down is harboring resentment about Fangio’s issues because McD had a lot of his own on his side of the ball
And all I'm saying is that the HC is in charge. I get the distinct impression that Fangio was not willing to collaborate, accept or act on the HC's input. That situation can not continue in any type of high level organization.

The players are a separate issue. You are old school so, as I said before, you don't care. That is not reality today. IMO. BB was the last dinosaur that could get away with that, and then only because he was a proven SB winner.

Back
Top Bottom