McIntosh update | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McIntosh update

midwest_phinfan

Starter
Reaction score
"It's coming along better than everybody is thinking," McIntosh said. "You'll see. I just may be ready by Game 1."

Article

Probably not gonna happen but what happens to him when he comes back? I want to see Carey at RT.

I like McIntosh, big body and a powerful run blocker you want on the right side of the line...It will be interesting where the coaching will let him compete.

He is probably the back-up tackle on both sides for this season. Even if he is back by the beginning of the season it will take him a few weeks to round into true football shape. Whether he is on PUP or one of the inactive linemen on Sundays, his value to us will come at best late in 2004 or in 2005.

starting carey is a stretch his rookie year. He's a great player, but he'll struggle his rookie season...a lot. There's no way I see them starting him over Mac if he's healthy.

Phinzone said:
starting carey is a stretch his rookie year. He's a great player, but he'll struggle his rookie season...a lot. There's no way I see them starting him over Mac if he's healthy.

If that is how it works out, isn't it kind of stupid to have drafted him for need rather than strictly taking the best player available? If both Carey and Wilfork would have been backups, why not just take the better guy?

If Mcintosh is healthy by game 1, I think he'll likely start as a backup and be worked into the starting lineup at RG. But if Carey has problems or gets hurt Mcintosh will be moved over to tackle and St. Clair will be put in at RG. I just cant see Miami using such a high pick on Carey and not give him every opprotunity to start at tackle.

Yeah, if Mac IS healthy enough to start by the opener, I'd rather see Mac at RT and Carey at RG, but I got a feeling they wouldn't do that even though it might provide the best lineup just because they'd want to develop Carey at RT after spending a 1st on him.

The news about McIntosh is good, but let's take this with a grain (maybe a shaker) of salt. A 330 pound offensive lineman with bad wheels doesn't usually heal quickly. Personally, I'm not counting on him at all this season, and I don't think he'll see regular playing time unless he either: a. makes a Lazarus-like recovery, or b. our right tackle, whoever it is, sucks out loud.

Phinzone said:

I don't think he was drafted to ride the pine. todd Wade started as a 2nd rnd rook and did well.

Phinzone said:

Carey was a first round pick. I would be SHOCKED if he didn't start.

Carey will probably be a better guard than McIntosh, who I think has never played the position, so if McIntosh gets back to 100%, I would expect to see him at RT and Carey at RG. I think McIntosh might just be a backup until he is fully recovered, and I doubt he will be 100% by the start of the season.

Smith started due to injuries to our starters. I would be VERY surprised if he (3rd round selection btw) got more than scraps for playing time last year had our OL been healthy.

This is my problem with drafting OL in roudn 1 guys. We have two starting tackles, and a versatile backup tackle. I don't see Carey starting this year IF Mac is really healthy. If that's the case, we used a first rounder for a posssible stop-gap tackle until Mac got better. Doesnt' seem too smart to me, we could have gotten a stop gap FA tackle (randall) relatively cheap, and not costing us a 1st round pick.

We now have this. A 2nd year OT that played pretty well (didn't do great, but he was a rookie that wasn't intended to start, and was forced into the position) and should be a solid tackle this year, and down the road. I like smith a lot.

Macintosh, who has an injury problem, but MAY be ready to go, and whom we just signed to a good chunk of a contract. Not breaking the bacnk, but if I remember correctly, he got a decent bonus, and won't be particularly fun to unload if it comes to that.

Carey. A taclke who struggled at guard, but who is a rookie, and we just spent a first round pick on.

I'm not sold at Carey as our Tackle, i think it's a big jump to start tackle your rookie year. Granted he's a RT, easier to flide into than LT, but still. So then we think about putting him in at guard. However, he didn't play very well at guard during college. But he was injured, etc.

So when it comes down to it, it's possible that we have 3 starting calibre tackles on this team this year. A little over kill, but none are breaking the bank, and this is all contingent on Mac being 100% when the season starts. But does it make you see that our OT position wasn't as desperate as people made it out to be? Randall was on the table, a 2 time superbowl starting tackle, who has skill, and has underachieved. Could have come cheap, and been a stop gap until Mac got back, etc. etc. And wouldn't have cost us a 1st.

well, you get the gist of it. I don't see Carey starting rookie year over mac if he's 100%. I don'tth ink he'll be, but if he is, we didn't spend that kind of money on Mac to ride the pine, and we'll have used a 1st on a tackle that probaly won't start there,w hen we could have used a 2nd or 3rd on a guard who can't play tackle, but would start there.

We'll see though, glad to see we have too many OL than too little.

Back
Top Bottom