Memory Lane - 1982 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Memory Lane - 1982

royalshank

Not a Game-Changer
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
We came so close to a SB win as we all know against a bigger, better Skins team.

Watch Woodley on some of these plays. Tannehill reminded me so much of Woodley in the athletic ability and cannon arm. Andra Franklin’s TD run is sick in this one. Bokamper making the same INT in this game that we wish he had pulled off in the SB!

I know we've talked about it before, but I still think that was Shula's best coaching season.
Me too. That season even had the snowplow caper. If I’m not mistaken Shula went to his grave having never forgiven Ron Meyer (only time he refused to shake hands with an opposing coach) for cheating. If it were me, I’d be like “yeah I guess it’s funny now but not at the time - especially because we kicked their ass in the playoffs and went to the SB anyway”. But not Shula. All that’s being said about integrity and playing by the rules - whether it was football or checkers - was true. For the record, that game probably should have ended in a 0-0 tie. I don’t think anyone was scoring in 3 feet of snow on the ground lol.

Me too. That season even had the snowplow caper. If I’m not mistaken Shula went to his grave having never forgiven Ron Meyer (only time he refused to shake hands with an opposing coach) for cheating. If it were me, I’d be like “yeah I guess it’s funny now but not at the time - especially because we kicked their *** in the playoffs and went to the SB anyway”. But not Shula. All that’s being said about integrity and playing by the rules - whether it was football or checkers - was true. For the record, that game probably should have ended in a 0-0 tie. I don’t think anyone was scoring in 3 feet of snow on the ground lol.
By all accounts, Shula could definitely hold a grudge.

By the way, Woodley looked pretty good in that Vikings game.

We came so close to a SB win as we all know against a bigger, better Skins team.

Watch Woodley on some of these plays. Tannehill reminded me so much of Woodley in the athletic ability and cannon arm. Andra Franklin’s TD run is sick in this one. Bokamper making the same INT in this game that we wish he had pulled off in the SB!

Yep. that would be interception was the game. About 6 years ago while at the stadium for the draft party, I ran into Bokamper and said Kim, if you only held onto that pick against the skins we would have won the SB. He just turned and walked away.

Yep. that would be interception was the game. About 6 years ago while at the stadium for the draft party, I ran into Bokamper and said Kim, if you only held onto that pick against the skins we would have won the SB. He just turned and walked away.
Oh man!

Anyone else notice Woodley in shotgun and his hands are not even in the ready position? His hands are on his thighs until the ball is snapped. This was before my time so I dont know if it was common with others QBs or not, just looks odd today though.

Anyone else notice Woodley in shotgun and his hands are not even in the ready position? His hands are on his thighs until the ball is snapped. This was before my time so I dont know if it was common with others QBs or not, just looks odd today though.
You know - I don’t know now that you bring it up. I think Landry was first to use the shotgun. I’ll check out some Staubach footage to check it out. Still amazed what Shula got out of Woodley. I know he had a good team around him but the crazy thing is he holds the highest winning % of all QBs in franchise history.

Makes me recall how tough it was being a rabid young Dolphins fan in CO. No Direct TV, no internet streaming or fan sites! Hell, that was even before the comprehensive highlights of ESPN Sports Center. Could not go to the sports bars to catch them until later in life. Id catch a half dozen games a year on TV, watch for score updates the other weeks and devour articles in the local newspaper and other sports mags.

RIP Woodley
Very sad life. HBO did a documentary years ago about him. He suffered from social anxiety and drank to compensate. Was undiagnosed apparently. His ex wife said he drank an entire case of beer the night before the SB - he was that anxious about being on that stage. Liver transplant at 34 and kept drinking. Died at 44. Very talented guy - perhaps not a complete QB but a great athlete that’s for sure.

Back
Top Bottom