MERGED 10X:Law to the Jets/Law a Jet/Law goes to Jets | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED 10X:Law to the Jets/Law a Jet/Law goes to Jets

Smizzy

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Jets, CB Law finalizing agreement on multiyear deal

Jets, CB Law finalizing agreement on multiyear deal
Saturday, August 06, 2005
BY DAVE HUTCHINSON
Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- The Jets and free-agent Pro Bowl cornerback Ty Law have reached an agreement in principle on a multiyear deal, which is contingent on Law passing a physical, according to two people with knowledge of the discussions.

"It's done," one person said.

Jets assistant general manager Mike Tannenbaum and Law's agent, Carl Poston, met Thursday night and agreed to many of the parameters of a deal and are now trying to fine-tune the contract. They negotiated throughout the day yesterday.

The deal is believed to include a signing bonus of $5 million to $6 million and average roughly $6 million per season. It is said to be incentive-rich and heavily backloaded. Law will come to New York for a physical early next week.

At issue had been the back end of the deal. The Law camp is said to have agreed on bonus money and first-year salary early on in the talks. Law was reportedly seeking a deal averaging between $6 million and $7 million per season.

Also at issue is that Law wants to get paid if he performs and the Jets want to protect themselves if he doesn't.

The Jets may have to rework several contracts and perhaps even release a veteran or two to make any deal work under the salary cap. One player who might be adversely affected is cornerback Ray Mickens.

Law, 31, is coming off a foot injury that caused him to miss nine games last season. He claims to be fully healthy but some NFL insiders think he might be less than 100 percent and will never be the player he once was. He has worked out for the Chiefs, Jaguars and Lions.

Last season, Law turned down a four-year, $24 million offer from New England, which released him in February for salary cap reasons. Law has found that teams have been reluctant to meet his demands.

While the Chiefs, Jaguars or Lions may be able to pay Law more than the Jets, Law's relationship with Jets coach Herman Edwards, running back Curtis Martin and secondary coach Corwin Brown plus his desire to play for a winner gave the Jets an edge.

Martin, who played with Law in New England, has actively recruited him, talking to him almost daily. The pair are very close.

Law, a four-time Pro Bowl and three-time Super Bowl champion, will start opposite David Barrett. He's the shut-down cornerback the Jets have been searching for since the departure of Aaron Glenn in 2002. He'll replace Donnie Abraham, who retired.

The arrival of Law means the veteran Mickens, if he remains, will return to his customary nickel back position. Mickens, who has longed to start, has said he'll welcome a player of Law's caliber. ...

Good move for the jets.

For their sake though, I hope they didn't overpay for him. To me, he's still got to prove that that foot is healed.
(and I would say the same thing if the Dolphins would have signed him)

He is a question mark in terms of how much he hurts our cap and how well he can still play. There is a lot of upside for a 3 time Super Bowl champ though, this guy can play.

Basically, if he can help us win those two games against the Pats (picking off Brady a few times would be nice) it would be great upside.

BZ

If he's anywhere near close to 100% this is a potential move that can put us over the top. It remains to be seen if he is healthy though reports have come out that he has looked good in workouts and our organization has been very conservative w/ FAs so i don't think they'd do it just for a name(like the old Jets did for Ronnie Lott back in '93), they are doing it b/c thy feel he can still play at a very high level. Barrett did a great job las year but he is more a #2 CB and this move will allow him to be that and allow young guys Miller & Strait to learn from a future HOFer.

Only a 5-6 million dollar signing bonus!? Wasn't he seeking like 12-14 million up front? Wow...Very incentive based and back loaded, what more could a Jets fan ask for?

NYJ EcKo151 said:
Only a 5-6 million dollar signing bonus!? Wasn't he seeking like 12-14 million up front? Wow...Very incentive based and back loaded, what more could a Jets fan ask for?

As I said above, all I could ask for is for him to return to form, be a shut down corner (which some Pats fans say he never was) and help us beat the Pats twice or three times this year. :)

There has to be some advantage to having him practice against the Pats offense for years.

BZ

Man, we still got to put up with him two times a year. The Jets are now very deep at CB, with Law coming in. I just wonder if the Jets will give Law what he wants, not deserves.

PhinDude88 said:
Man, we still got to put up with him two times a year. The Jets are now very deep at CB, with Law coming in. I just wonder if the Jets will give Law what he wants, not deserves.

According to the reports, he is going to get less money with the Jets than he would have at other teams which I think says that he wants to be a Jet and thinks they can be competitive this year.

BZ

Jets | About to Sign Law?

Jets | About to Sign Law?
Sat, 6 Aug 2005 00:19:01 -0700

Dave Hutchinson, of the Star-Ledger, reports the <A href="http://www.kffl.com/team/27/nfl">New York Jets have reached an agreement in principle with free agent CB Ty Law (Patriots). The multi-year deal is contingent on Law passing a physical. One source called it a "done deal." The deal is believed to include a signing bonus of $5 million to $6 million and average roughly $6 million per season. It is said to be incentive-rich and heavily backloaded. Law will come to New York for a physical early next week. At issue had been the back end of the deal. The Law camp is said to have agreed on bonus money and first-year salary early on in the talks. Law was reportedly seeking a deal averaging between $6 million and $7 million per season.

:rofl3: great news !!! have fun with him. i beleive hes a cancer and an overatted one at that. might have a season or 2 of productive play in him. herm edwards. couldnt be a better friend to a dolfan

Their secondary still stinks!

Back
Top Bottom