MERGED 2X: freeman is just like chris carter | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED 2X: freeman is just like chris carter

You are right we all were happy when we signed carter maybe just because of the name. There was no way for us to know he was gonna get sick. I think Freeman will be more of an asset for us. Think about it who do you want Thompson or Freeman catching balls for us? I think they both have potential so we shall see.

The situations are not comparable.Carter was projected to be a starter (Turned out to be more of a showboat ).Freeman is expected to provide depth and will not be costly.As a matter of fact if we do add Freeman we can still use and acquire McCardell with a little creative thinking (Lets see if Rick has it in him)

freeman isn't particularly attractive to me....

here's my order:
1) McCardell - of everyone that will be available, this guy can put it up the best, best numbers by far... downside is it would cost us $2.5mil +
2) Tim Brown - if you want veteran experience and "mentoring", this is your guy. At best a 3rd down posession receiver, which is exactly what we need. Just wants to play, so won't command high salary.
3) Our existing receivers - we have a ton of guys in TC right now that impress.... there is no way they'd ALL collapse in game-time like DT did.... so lets try them out in the pre-season, one by one.
4) Letting Boston limp around - he'd be slow and not able to break away, but he'd be a good blocker at least
5) finally..... Freeman. This guy i just don't like. Doesn't seem to bring much to the table.... just appears overly attractive b/c he's available RIGHT NOW, and is desparate. We COULD sign him tomorrow. He is kinda like a female on an overseas US military base.... looks WAYYYY more attractive b/c not a lot is available at the moment - but as soon as she gets back to US shores, its ugly time!

estrada507 said:
Wanny feels he needs vets on the team. Which isn't a bad idea. but, it doesn't allow the younger receivers to develop. Newson, Tolver, simmons. Give these guys a shot! NOTE TO WANNY: Get rid of your security blanket ( the need for vets) and go play with the kids (Newson, Tolver, Simmons)!:yell:

agreed.

give the kids a chance.... at least in the preseason... if it doesn't work out then, THEN get Freeman. He'll still be available!

dolphguernica said:
yeah so we sign freeman at wide receiver we still need some speed on the other side of chambers to open up the field. the bucs got tim brown today we need mccardell he has the speed we are looking for freeman is not the answer and i cant take thompson being our 2 receiver again. offensively we have the same line up as last year without ricky we are gonna struggle again on offense unless we bring in a fast, stud of a receiver
You do not need two deep threats a Wr. You only need one. You need the other guy to be able to go across the middle.

When Dallas was great in the '90's they did not have two deep threats. Harper was the deep threat and Irvin was the across the middle guy.

MNicholas said:
I think Freeman can come in here and help us out in more ways than one. He can help our younger receivers by showing them leadership. I still think we should try to get McCardell from Tampa. If we sign both of them, I don't think we will feel the loss of Boston.
100% AGREE I ALSO THINK WE COULD GET A STUD RB FOR -OGUN STRAIGHT UP MIAMI QUIT BULL****TING LETS MAKE A BLOCK BUSTER TRADE OR IT'S DAVE AND RICKS JOBS AFTER THIS YEAR. :yell:

finjim123 said:
I think we should go get Mccardell NOW! he is great. Just think Chris & Mccardell wow Freeman is to old finjim
MCCARDELL IS OLDER THAN FREEMAN 34 COMPARED TO 32.

texasPHINSfan said:
freeman isn't particularly attractive to me....

here's my order:
1) McCardell - of everyone that will be available, this guy can put it up the best, best numbers by far... downside is it would cost us $2.5mil +
2) Tim Brown - if you want veteran experience and "mentoring", this is your guy. At best a 3rd down posession receiver, which is exactly what we need. Just wants to play, so won't command high salary.
3) Our existing receivers - we have a ton of guys in TC right now that impress.... there is no way they'd ALL collapse in game-time like DT did.... so lets try them out in the pre-season, one by one.
5) finally..... Freeman. This guy i just don't like. Doesn't seem to bring much to the table.... just appears overly attractive b/c he's available RIGHT NOW, and is desparate. We COULD sign him tomorrow. He is kinda like a female on an overseas US military base.... looks WAYYYY more attractive b/c not a lot is available at the moment - but as soon as she gets back to US shores, its ugly time!
While I think McCardell is a great receiver I think he is too expensive like you said . And I think Freeman will do the same job and he has more experience which in a crazy year like this could be valueable. Also count tim brown out he got picked up. Which i don't care for him anyhow.

Be realistic

To get any two players to adequately replace RW and DB, it's gonna take a decent two draft picks in the next two years and Ogunleye unless the 'phins wait until just before Week 1 and final cuts.

I say send Ogunleye to Denver for Lelie and a pick to GB for Davenport.

Last edited by a moderator:
We'll see how much McCardell's price gets bid up if he's released...just remember that he's not available YET. The Bucs haven't released him, and for all I know I don't think they plan to. I haven't heard any rumors here in Tampa that lead me to believe they'll do it. In fact what I've heard is that the organization has dug their heels into the ground on the fact that they WONT release him. In the meantime they are trying to find some help but you can't blame them. They are bringing in Tim Brown, but Joe Jurevicious is down for I think the season...so thats kind of what they are thinking there I thought.

At this point I'm not sure Tim Brown is even an upgrade over Derrius Thompson, or Kendall Newson. I've heard some really bad stuff about Brown, including from corners who have covered him recently. Its simple, he's old and doesn't get off the line, nor does he like to be hit anymore. This stuff about bringing in guys to "mentor" I think thats a little overrated. We're talking about a late addition to the cast, a guy who will just be here this year. There won't be any mentoring going on. Thats for Jerry Sullivan to do. It would be one thing if the guy were going to be here for multiple years, like if we signed Keenan to a multi-year deal to play with Boston and Chambers...the younger sprouts like Newson and Tolver could possibly learn from him by watching him.

But at the same time, those young sprouts, Newson especially IMO, need their chance to play too.

If Keenan becomes available, I say go for him. He's too good of a #2 WR in THIS year to not go for him. If he does not, then I say we just sign Freeman as insurance in case we need a slot receiver we can count on to find the spots between the zones...basically as insurance that Derrius Thompson and/or Kendall Newson once again find themselves unable to produce during actual games. Freeman would help us move the chains...which is what we'd need.

finjim123 said:
I think we should go get Mccardell NOW! he is great. Just think Chris & Mccardell wow Freeman is to old finjim

Freeman is two years younger than McCardell.

The real shame is that if we somehow landed Keenan McCardell he would be a GOOD #2 WR for us, giving us a solid WR cast. Chambers will draw the doubles, and sometimes we're just not going to be able to get the ball to him, but Keenan can get the job done on the other side to move the chains for us until we can get Chambers free to make plays. The shame though is that, Boston was different. He wasn't just a good #2 WR, he wasn't just a guy that we could count on to get the job done if Chambers is being doubled and we can't get him the ball...Boston was a THREAT that genuinely would have made defenses wonder whether they really need to be paying attention to Chambers, or Boston. Some defenses might have even doubled both WRs, which would open R-Mac to terrorize linebackers that generally are not able to keep up with him in coverage.

Its a shame.

Yeah, but Freeman has not aged well and McCardell has. Keenan just came off one of his best years as a pro. Freeman had what, 14 catches in Green Bay this year?

WILLIS29 said:
i hate to be negative. but freeman hasn't had a good year in a couple of years. he's way past his prime (not even on a roster right now). when chris carter came in last year everyone was soooo happy. he sucked, then turned around and talked s@#t about our offence. guys hate to say it but, dw and rs are doin' some big time damage control. they left themselves in this position. there are a few other positions we are in the same danger ,ala LT. poor managment, really poor coaching. i've been a die hard fin fan for 15 yrs, still am. the FO and DW are really making it hard to be one. All this is not their fault, but we could have been better protected.

wether he was past his prime or not...when he was here he defended the offense...when he left and went back to hbo he on a regular basis and was asked what he saw he spoke the truth...that he saw more balls hit the ground in practice then anywhere else in his career...he was no savior and was reach to replace OG and didn't pan out but it was 2 seasons back not last year.

FinFan24 said:
ya, good post.

did you photoshop tht Dave Wanny pic or something? That is hideous:eek: !

Yea Finfan...I tried to portray what all the stress of this Dolphin season will do to Wanny. It will take quite a toll.

Back
Top Bottom