Merged 3X: Marino having 2nd thoughts? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged 3X: Marino having 2nd thoughts?

PhinPhreak

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
Marino having 2nd thoughts

Well if Mort is speaking the truth looks like Dan is having second thoughts on his management roll, he is supposed to decide soon. Man I can't imagine the backlash from the fans if this indeed happens. It will just make it look all the more like things aer going to be the same in good ole South Florida.

Marino having 2nd thoughts?

Mort just said he may quit because he either wants to do it all the way or not at all. Sounds like he realized his figurehead position is just to drum up attention for the franchise. Personally I don't want him controlling any operations due to lack of experience. Prove your way from the bottom up, don't just inherit something and possibly turn it into a disaster.

just saw it also but a slightly different take was that wayne wants him to take a few months and spend with family while supposedly dan wants to do it 100% or not at all.

we will see this 1000 more times today on sportscenter so maybe more to it than meets the eye?

sick...thats how this whole thing makes me how it feels.

why is it this whole process has looked like a keystone cops episode?

not to mention speils answer when posed a question about something related to this on "ask rick" this week at phins site.
rick answered the calls will be his.

i'm sure he does have cold feet. he's on the last round of his talk shows. it's going to be sad to leave them after 3 years. he'll be onto something bigger and better.

Do you have a link to this?

I have scoured ESPN, and all the media outlets and see nothing on this.

I am not going to worry about it until there is more credible evidence that its an issue.

Dan seemed way pumped up abut it and I don't believe he is changing his mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was just said on T.V. on ESPN. They showed Marinos picture and promised more info. Man,what now?

Guys I wouldn't buy into this crap. All aritcles from Dan have quoted him as saying he can't wait to get started.

I am not going to buy into back room gossip. I assure you with the draft around the corner the Man will be involved.

It doesn't mean its real. My guess it was one of those "rumor has it" kind of stories.

he already has been involved... he was at the senior bowl practice.

from what i saw on espn, to just say that "Dan is having 2nd thoughts" is an inaccurate representation of what is happening...

they said WH has told him to take some time off, and be with his family, and not dive in head first and get caught up in the management side of the job. i interpret this to mean he wants Dan as a figure head, and/or public relations tool, not a serious front office football guy. and that is why Dan is having second thoughts. he wants to be an active, participating member of management with responsibilities and oversight, and wants to apply himself to the job.

they closed their (albeit brief) coverage of this story on Countdown earlier by saying Dan respects the game and the organization too much to not put his full efforts into the job.

to portray it as "Dan having second thoughts" can be misleading to the casual fan/reader/listener. i think the media should have reported it as there being a misunderstanding between DM and WH as to what his role is and what responsibilities he will have.

from pft:
MARINO MIGHT QUIT

Kudos to ESPN's Chris Mortenson for his minutes-ago report that Dolphins new V.P. of football operations Dan Marino might resign from the job he took just a few weeks ago.

As Mort reports, there are questions about Marino's role. Owner Wayne Huizenga supposedly is encouraging Marino to take a couple of months off and enjoy his family, and Marino supposedly plans instead to go full tilt in his new gig.

Based on our past reports, however we think that the real issue here comes down not to hours but to power.

As one league insider told us in the wake of the Marino hire, what happens when Marino tries to be something more than a figure head, an ambassador? Specifically, what happens when Marino tries to make hard-core football decisions?

Marino simply doesn't have the credentials to run a pro football operation. But he provides a solid liaison (or, as the case may be, buffer) between the football guys in the organization (Rick Spielman and Dave Wannstedt) and the non-football guys (Huizenga, Eddie Jones, Bryan Wiedmeier) -- if, of course, Marino is willing to accept his intended role, despite his given title.

So it seems that our insider's prediction has already come to fruition. In our view, Marino either has attempted to wield the power he doesn't have, or he's asked pointed questions regarding whether he's merely intended to be an empty suit with no juice.

If Marino really does have ultimate power and control over the football operation, why would Huizenga invite him to take a couple of months off at one of the busiest, most important times in the offseason? The cap has to be managed, decisions have to be made regarding free agency, rookie have to be drafted, etc.

As we see it, Huizenga now has to decide whether to give Marino power that he doesn't have the skills to use, or whether to risk a P.R. nightmare by letting Marino quit before the ink on his deal had dried.
=========================
and to the above reply i say bs it is second thoughts!

Originally posted by fin-atic
Do you have a link to this?

I have scoured ESPN, and all the media outlets and see nothing on this.

I am not going to worry about it until there is more credible evidence that its an issue.

Dan seemed way pumped up abut it and I don't believe he is changing his mind.

I agree fin-atic.... ESPN has turned into a "Howard Stern" shock sports reporting venue ..

Their credibility as a news source has really fallen by the way side the past 2 years !!!

:rolleyes2

Marino1983

Back
Top Bottom