Merged:Andy Cohen is right on/Dolphins Put Their Faith In Fiedler And Feeley | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged:Andy Cohen is right on/Dolphins Put Their Faith In Fiedler And Feeley

njfinfan

Finheaven's "First Lady"
Reaction score
Andy Cohen is right on

in this article. Opinions?

Dolphins Put Their Faith In Fiedler And Feeley
June 3, 2004

What about Kerry Collins? How about Kurt Warner? Or Tim Couch? Everyone wants to know, or so it seems, why the Dolphins aren't shopping hard for a veteran quarterback this off season. Truth is, there really is no great mystery to it. When the Dolphins traded for A.J. Feeley and then re-signed Jay Fiedler, the door was closed shut. The team's brain trust was convinced they had the right men for the job.

Whether they are correct in this evaluation will have everything to do with the success of this year's team. Sure, it hasn't been the best of off seasons for the Dolphins. Dan Marino said yes and then no. A couple of highly-acclaimed free agent linemen – Damian Woody and John Tait – said no, period. And there have been some shake-ups in the coaching staff, which was not exactly what everyone had in mind.

But let's be realistic here. The Dolphins finished 10-6 a year ago and, if anything, they have improved upon the team that barely missed the playoffs.

How much they have improved, I believe, depends on the play of the quarterback.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/home/home_index.asp

"How much they have improved, I believe, depends on the play of the quarterback."

...and the offensive line. (assuming everyone else plays at the same level)

i think if they waited a little longer and held off on feely collins would of been in a dolphin jersey.

.....and if we waited.....and everone got snapped up and had to settle for Kordel Stewart....and missed half the QB schools......all h#ll would have broken loose......we have made improvements over last years team........it remains to be seen if were all done adding to the team and if it will be enough.......lets start getting behind our team!.....COME ON PHINS!

why do people want other teams trash? what has warner done lately or tim couch
collins is the only maybe in the bunch. different isn't always better

ltfinfan said:
Perfectly said. Even then Collins qb rating is about the same as Fiedler's. At least that is what I remember reading here when it was said he was to be released. I truthfully would rather wait and see what a young player with potential (Feeley) can develop into. Hope RS was right in his evaluation of him.

ltfinfan said:

"Grass always greener, etc.". Spot on post. Apparently a ton of fans have joined the media hobby of second guessing everything without considering the context of the situation facing the decision makers at the time the decisions were made. Such ill-informed blathering is nothing more than farting in the wind.

ltfinfan said:

i agree with you but you might as well put collins in the same category. he isnt that good of a QB

ltfinfan said:
You should ask Spielman the same thing. Considering that Feely was arguably the 3rd stringer. Although Couch hasn't done squat, Warner has 2 sb rings and a 2 time MVP. Collins took his team to the playoffs a few tmes and the sb. What has Feely and Fiedler done in their career or lately?

Having said this, I am sure about one thing. If Feeley and Fiedler are close when the time comes to decide on a starting quarterback, if injury or performance hasn't created a huge gap between the two, then Feeley will be your starting quarterback on the opening Sunday of the season against Tennessee. Take that one to the proverbial bank.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/pressbox/andycohen/andycohen.asp?contentID=3290

very good article Andy :up: , but I do disagree with this "As the offensive line is re-built, it will be up to the quarterback to make quick decisions. " It is backward. The OL will effect RW and the QB. They are a bigger question mark

ltfinfan said:

Collins took the Panthers to the NFC Divisional Title game and then took the Giants to the Superbowl. Collins had a bad year behind a HORRIBLE O-Line that was plagued with injuries. The guy has talent he isnt TRASH.

While Feeley wasnt me first choice I am optimistic now about his success... well I kinda have to be if Miami is going to have a good season :).

This is my take on the QB issue..

Release Jay Feidler flat out.. give him the same walking papers as Brian and Ray got!!!!

Sign Feely (even with the 2nd round pick) and let him and Sage battle it out in QB school. IF it is apperant that neither of the two QB's was ready to become the leader of the offense.. then and only then shop for Couch, Warner, Collins or what ever veteran QB was going to be cut on June 1st.

Surely the writing was on the wall before June 1st and front offices should have had an idea of what caliber veteran QBs would become available.

The $4 Mill saved by releasing Jay could have been used as bait for the best availble veteran QB.

Best case scenerio, Sage or Feely kicks butt in QB school and we have the new franchise QB..

Worst case... We pick up a veteran QB to lead the team one year while Feely and Sage continues to grow.. However, I believe this is the 3rd season Sage has been with us and in that time, if Sage hasnt matured and improved enough to lead the offense, then he has no business taking up roster space..

Lastly.. I think the biggest mistake DW made was not picking Dorsey in last years draft.. I think he was a 7th round selection by the 9ers and rumor out here is Tim Rataay {sp} is injured and Dorsey might be the starting QB come September..

ltfinfan said:

Dude it's called free agency! What had Ricky done lately when he came here or Chester, or Boston. They come to Miami to turn over a new leaf and get back to form. All 32 teams are looking through the trash for the unpolished gems. If we don't take a chance then we hve no chance at winning.

njfinfan said:
in this article. Opinions?

Dolphins Put Their Faith In Fiedler And Feeley
June 3, 2004

What about Kerry Collins? How about Kurt Warner? Or Tim Couch? Everyone wants to know, or so it seems, why the Dolphins aren't shopping hard for a veteran quarterback this off season. Truth is, there really is no great mystery to it. When the Dolphins traded for A.J. Feeley and then re-signed Jay Fiedler, the door was closed shut. The team's brain trust was convinced they had the right men for the job.

Whether they are correct in this evaluation will have everything to do with the success of this year's team. Sure, it hasn't been the best of off seasons for the Dolphins. Dan Marino said yes and then no. A couple of highly-acclaimed free agent linemen – Damian Woody and John Tait – said no, period. And there have been some shake-ups in the coaching staff, which was not exactly what everyone had in mind.

But let's be realistic here. The Dolphins finished 10-6 a year ago and, if anything, they have improved upon the team that barely missed the playoffs.

How much they have improved, I believe, depends on the play of the quarterback.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/home/home_index.asp
You see questions on the message boards and hear them on the radio talk shows about Sage Rosenfels, the No. 3 quarterback. Why doesn’t he get a shot? After all, the third-string quarterback is always one of the most popular players on the team. But the hard, cold reality is this: If Rosenfels was that good, wouldn't the coaching staff have elevated him by now? Wouldn't they have seen it in the practice sessions? Wouldn't they have made a bolder commitment in his direction?

Ha! Andy comes clean...he's a FinHeaven addict just like the rest of us. :cooldude:

Andy's article is on target, waiting would have drawn more fire. RS thinks he has found a gem, let's see. An improved Oline helps everyone on offense be better.

Back
Top Bottom