Merged:Andy Cohen is right on/Dolphins Put Their Faith In Fiedler And Feeley | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged:Andy Cohen is right on/Dolphins Put Their Faith In Fiedler And Feeley

I may be a little bit off here, but didn't Warner lose the last 6 or 8 starts he had and declined to enter a game after Bulger got injured? I believe Collins has about the same pass rating as Feilder, played behind a better line for most years(not last one) and had a reputation for choking under pressure at both Carolina and NY.

Brunell would have been an upgrade, but the contract signed by the Redskins was absurd and would have hamstrung our team. Honestly I know very little about Couch so I can't comment on him, but Feely doesn't seem any worse than the other options we had, and a good deal better than most.

Ohiophinphan said:
Andy's article is on target, waiting would have drawn more fire. RS thinks he has found a gem, let's see. An improved Oline helps everyone on offense be better.
Exactly. Ponder this scenario:

We wait, don't trade for Feeley, lose out on any of the other QBs that were available, and we start the season for Fiedler. The same people hyperventalating about Feeley would be up in arms about Spielman. I can imagine the posts. How many "Rick has no balls!" and "Fire WanSpiel!" threads would we see?

I rest my case...

RICKYSABEAST said:
Dude it's called free agency! What had Ricky done lately when he came here or Chester, or Boston. They come to Miami to turn over a new leaf and get back to form. All 32 teams are looking through the trash for the unpolished gems. If we don't take a chance then we hve no chance at winning.

most unpolished jems are not in there mid 30's ricky is still young

Oboy said:
Perfectly said. Even then Collins qb rating is about the same as Fiedler's. At least that is what I remember reading here when it was said he was to be released.

Actually, Collins' career QB rating is five points lower than Fiedler.

Yeah I think if we had the #1 pick in the draft Eli Manning would be in a Fins uniform right now.

In response to Jeeps' post; I think Keeping Fiedler was a smart move. He will be a good backup to Feely, he knows our offense,and he knows the AFC East. He will be like an extra coach. And if Feely were to go down he will be good off the bench. Like Cohen Said, if Sage was really that great don't you think the coaches would notice. As far as the June 1st cuts they are other teams castoffs! Warners' super Bowl ring came 5yrs ago,when nobody in the NFL knew much about him.Once teams studied how defend him, his game fell off. And Now he is not nearly the player he was (injuries,age&wife).The other free agent Q.B.s are really just castoffs. Feely has nothing but upside in my opinion and we just need to see what does when the bullets fly for real. Then and only then will we see what game he has.

Agua said:
"Grass always greener, etc.". Spot on post. Apparently a ton of fans have joined the media hobby of second guessing everything without considering the context of the situation facing the decision makers at the time the decisions were made. Such ill-informed blathering is nothing more than farting in the wind.

Amen brother Aqua. Preach it..

Jeep said:
This is my take on the QB issue..

Release Jay Feidler flat out.. give him the same walking papers as Brian and Ray got!!!!

Sign Feely (even with the 2nd round pick) and let him and Sage battle it out in QB school. IF it is apperant that neither of the two QB's was ready to become the leader of the offense.. then and only then shop for Couch, Warner, Collins or what ever veteran QB was going to be cut on June 1st.

Surely the writing was on the wall before June 1st and front offices should have had an idea of what caliber veteran QBs would become available.

The $4 Mill saved by releasing Jay could have been used as bait for the best availble veteran QB.

Best case scenerio, Sage or Feely kicks butt in QB school and we have the new franchise QB..

Worst case... We pick up a veteran QB to lead the team one year while Feely and Sage continues to grow.. However, I believe this is the 3rd season Sage has been with us and in that time, if Sage hasnt matured and improved enough to lead the offense, then he has no business taking up roster space..

Lastly.. I think the biggest mistake DW made was not picking Dorsey in last years draft.. I think he was a 7th round selection by the 9ers and rumor out here is Tim Rataay {sp} is injured and Dorsey might be the starting QB come September..
With the possible exception of your last take on Dorsey I agree with your post, Jay has had four years to step up in big games/playoff games and make plays when we need them and he hasn't shown the ability to do it with any consistency. All the reports of Jay's good practices mean really nothing to me, I've been to many practices and seen Jay practice well in the past, it doesn't translate to consistency in big games during the season, it would have been a much more positive move to me to cut the cord with Jay

Agua said:
"Grass always greener, etc.". Spot on post. Apparently a ton of fans have joined the media hobby of second guessing everything without considering the context of the situation facing the decision makers at the time the decisions were made. Such ill-informed blathering is nothing more than farting in the wind.

I agree that second-guessing past decisions is futile, but those who made the decisions need to be held accountable for their poor decisions. Wannstedt should have been fired, not "demoted".

Agua said:

Yup.

mbmonk said:
Collins took the Panthers to the NFC Divisional Title game and then took the Giants to the Superbowl. Collins had a bad year behind a HORRIBLE O-Line that was plagued with injuries. The guy has talent he isnt TRASH.

Though I agree that Collins isn't "trash", I don't think that he was worth waiting for. He simply isn't that much better than what we already have. Sure, he took 2 teams far in the playoffs..but that was over 3 years ago. We can go further back and see that Warner was a superstar. That doesn't make him the better choice right now.

The numbers clearly show that Collins is not even better than Fiedler the last 3 years (with good talent, I might add)...

2001 - Collins 19 TD's, 16 INT's
2001 - Fiedler 24 TD's, 19 INT's

2002 - Collins 19 TD's, 14 INT's
2002 - Fiedler 17 TD's, 9 INT's

2003 - Collins 13 TD's, 16 INT's
2003 - Fiedler 14 TD's, 13 INT's

Look at those numbers and tell me that Collins is a clear upgrade.

QB J. Fiedler is better than Warner {he's done}, he's better than Couch, and he's also better than Collins. None of those QB's would have made our offense any better IMO....

QB J. Fiedler will also be the starting QB in 2004 IMO. He's looking better than ever right now, and his confidence is high... :D

As for Feeley, he's a wildcard right now. He could be great, or he could be the second coming of Fiedler. Either way, I think his future is a bright one. :cooldude: His potential upside is what makes him interesting....

3rd string QB S. Rosenfels has done nothing to prove he's capable of starting in the NFL. I don't know where these "Sage should start" comments come from, but I laugh everytime I see one... :roflmao:

Passing on QB K. Dorsey a mistake???...The guy is one of the worst QB's I've ever seen. You think Fiedler has weeny arm??? It's a roaring cannon compared to Dorsey's slingshot....

PHINZ RULE!!! :eek:

Dolphins Put Their Faith In Fiedler And Feeley

Dolphins Put Their Faith In Fiedler And Feeley
June 3, 2004 - Andy Cohen

Check this article if you haven't already at the miami dolphins official site, linked from the front page:

"Having said this, I am sure about one thing. If Feeley and Fiedler are close when the time comes to decide on a starting quarterback, if injury or performance hasn't created a huge gap between the two, then Feeley will be your starting quarterback on the opening Sunday of the season against Tennessee. Take that one to the proverbial bank."

I think his reasoning for this conclusion makes a lot of sense.

Back
Top Bottom