Merged: Chad Jackson in the first | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Chad Jackson in the first

SMadison29 said:
You guys have just fallen in love with size & speed, that's not all that makes a football player. Santonio Holmes is still & has been the #1 WR in the draft.

Yeah I kinda agree with you. Personally I would be hesitant to draft any highly rated Florida WR early. No offense to ex & current gators on the

board, but this schools top WRs range from busts to at best "just okay" in the pros. And I do like Jackson's combine #s btw, but I refuse to use that as

a barometer for NFL success for any player. I feel the same way about top rated Buckeye LBs and Penn St RBs (L. Johnson being the recent exception).

This is why I plan to watch Jackson's & Hawk's careers closely regardless of the teams who drafts them.

SMadison29 said:
You guys have just fallen in love with size & speed, that's not all that makes a football player. Santonio Holmes is still & has been the #1 WR in the draft.

Your right

But that said I also think Jackson has better hands than Holmes, and I think Jackson is a better player

I love the stereotypes around here. Maybe to extent it is deserved. Its true Gator WRs haven't exactly lit up the NFL, what school's WRs have? When was the last time a Gator WR was arguably the Top WR in the draft? I could careless how past players from any school turned out in the pros. That has nothing to do with the current player.

we don't have any major needs and will be able to take BPA throughout the draft, Saban likes Jackson and if he's the BPA than we will take him. he would be an upgrade at the #2 spot over Booker for sure

SpeedRush99 said:
I love the stereotypes around here. Maybe to extent it is deserved. Its true Gator WRs haven't exactly lit up the NFL, what school's WRs have? When was the last time a Gator WR was arguably the Top WR in the draft? I could careless how past players from any school turned out in the pros. That has nothing to do with the current player.
Miami wideouts have a pretty good history. S.Moss, R.Wayne, A.Johnson, M.Irvin, etc.

not trying to dispute your agruement because I agree, you can't judge a player by the history of that position at that school

I like Holmes too. But like you pointed out. Size and speed. We already have a smaller type WR in Chambers. DC made a living throwing to a big fast WR in Moss. Someone who will win the jump ball contest all the time, or just straight burn the D. I see Jackson as that kind of WR.

I see Holmes being good in the NFL. But I think the first time he crosses the middle and gets drilled by a LB or a big S, he will get a rude awakening.Welcome to the NFL. Jackson, I dont think will have that problem.

since we are talking WRs I just want to say that Brandon Marshall will be the steal of the draft, he will be a beast but has 3rd round status as of right now

SpeedRush99 said:

Speed, I am a strong proponent of judging an individual instead of unjustly grouping him, but when it comes to prospects performing in the NFL it's more than a coincidence. I don't know if it's mental or what but I can't name not one highly drafted gator WR who turned into a top NFL WR. Remember I'm only talking about the one's who scouts tout as can't miss:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/schools/FL

nick1 said:
Miami wideouts have a pretty good history. S.Moss, R.Wayne, A.Johnson, M.Irvin, etc.

True, but using the same logic for that stereotype you should expect every Miami WR to be good.

SpeedRush99 said:
True, but using the same logic for that stereotype you should expect every Miami WR to be good.
thats true, I agree with you

Itsdahumidity said:
Speed, I am a strong proponent of judging an individual instead of unjustly grouping him, but when it comes to prospects performing in the NFL it's more than a coincidence. I don't know if it's mental or what but I can't name not one highly drafted gator WR who turned into a top NFL WR. Remember I'm only talking about the one's who scouts tout as can't miss:
[URL="http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/schools/FL"]http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/schools/FL[/URL]

That was part of my point though. You don't see a Gator WR at the top of the class all that often. Plenty of Gator WRs have had solid careers in the NFL, superstars no. But I don't see how that has anything to do with Chad Jackson, who IMO is the best WR to come out of Florida in a really long time. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Its cool, I just find that stereotype very annoying. Its not like Florida has a history of 1st round WR busts or anything.

I think wr is a possibility, with Jackson and Holmes pretty close IMO. Holmes might actually be a better compliment to Chambers/Booker. I think a lot will depend on whether Miami is able to sign Arrington or Peterson. If not, then the Dolphins have a serious need at LB and, for Saban, I believe that would trump the need at wr. Greenway, Lawson or Carpenter if Arrington/Peterson sign elsewhere.

SpeedRush99 said:
That was part of my point though. You don't see a Gator WR at the top of the class all that often. Plenty of Gator WRs have had solid careers in the NFL, superstars no. But I don't see how that has anything to do with Chad Jackson, who IMO is the best WR to come out of Florida in a really long time. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Its cool, I just find that stereotype very annoying. Its not like Florida has a history of 1st round WR busts or anything.

Cool. Maybe I should have included a "just my opinion." :D
But I disagree w/you about UF's wr history:

"solid careers?"
Ike Hilliard + Reidel Anthony = drafted in 1st rd
Jacquez Green = 2nd rd
Travis Taylor = 1st
Jabar Gaffney = 2nd
Reche Caldwell = 2nd
Taylor Jacobs = 2nd

We're supposed to learn from history right? So staying on the thread's topic, do you really want to spend the 16th pick on this type of player or draft someone else.

at the same time, you could end up getting someone like a Rod Smith. He was undrafted. Look at his career

Back
Top Bottom