Merged: Devin Hester | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Devin Hester

South Florida said:
I would definitely take him in the 3rd withour pick, but I doubt that he'll be available there.

no way in hell do you take him with a 3rd pick. Like I said before, he has the gamebreaking ability, but he's making a mistake coming out early. He can accelerate and cut on a dime crazy style, but he also coughs up the ball at times similar to ol' Roscoe Parrish. As for Welker, he's definitely proven to be a pretty good returner with sure hands, but he just doesnt have that speed to break one off like a Hall, Hester, Parrish, Sproles, McGee, or Ponder. Not saying we get rid of him but I would like to see someone else back there.

I'm a Canes fan but I would only draft him at round 4 and beyond. He's got talent but he never settled into one permanent position. He should really have stayed in school. Too bad that his family didn't encourage him to stay but did the opposite instead.

Yeah you guys are right, we don't need Hester. Even though our secondary wasn't any good this year, we have no business drafting a guy that runs a 4.2 40 in the 3rd or 4th round. He would be at least a nickle back for us in his first year if we drafted him.

I still don't understand why he played CB at the U, I thought that was a mistake. I'm a huge UM fan but Hester irritated me more than he made me smile. A) he never found a true position, I blame the coaches for that but he could have really tried to focus on one position. B) I see him more as a slot WR or throwing to him out of the backfield on 3rd down.

305 LoCaL VoCaL said:
as far as punt returning is concerned willie reid cant even spell hester....hester is a sleepin giant watch he'll be like 2nd round-3rd round pick

Man, you got to be crazy!!! Willie Reid is a much better punt returner than Hester, and this is why. Willie Reid is going to get positive yardage every time he touches it with the possibility of breaking one(he has 4 the last 2 years), while Devin Hester may lose 8-10 yards trying to dance around. I would much rather have someone who catches and runs north toward the other endzone, because obviously that is where you are trying to get to.

miamirick said:
Personally, I think he's making a mistake by coming out.

For his long term development, I agree. He still hasn't been a real effective on either offense or defense yet, just returning kicks.

But he's coming out for the right reason, to help his family financially. I can respect that.

Devin Hester is a freak athlete. You guys really think Deion Sanders is that lousy of a handicapper? He takes someone under his wing and it's for a reason, phenomenal talent. Project against him at your own peril.

Whatever the position, Hester will be making big plays in the NFL while guys taken ahead of him frolic in mediocrity. He'll also be taken much earlier than the consensus here suggests. Once Hester gets into the combine and individual workouts and his speed and athletic ability will vault him above dozens of guys currently rated higher.

Awsi Dooger said:
Devin Hester is a freak athlete. You guys really think Deion Sanders is that lousy of a handicapper? He takes someone under his wing and it's for a reason, phenomenal talent. Project against him at your own peril.

Whatever the position, Hester will be making big plays in the NFL while guys taken ahead of him frolic in mediocrity. He'll also be taken much earlier than the consensus here suggests. Once Hester gets into the combine and individual workouts and his speed and athletic ability will vault him above dozens of guys currently rated higher.

Speed and Athelticism only get you so far. The only thing he is right now is a kick returner. He needs alot of work on his DB or WR skills, whichever he ends up being.

kpcane said:
Yeah you guys are right, we don't need Hester. Even though our secondary wasn't any good this year, we have no business drafting a guy that runs a 4.2 40 in the 3rd or 4th round. He would be at least a nickle back for us in his first year if we drafted him.

Is that sarcasm?

He would not be a nickle back, or even the dime back for us in his first year. He struggled at DB in college his whole career? What, you think just because he runs a 4.2 in the forty; he will make in immediate impact? It doesn't work that way. He made too many mistakes in at the U while playing CB, the only position he excelled at was a return guy; that's it. He is too raw to be considered in the 3rd round, I wouln't take him no earlier than the fifth and that's because we already have a very good return guy who can contribute at the WR position as well. The best thing he should've done was stay in college to improve his coverage skills, that would've improved his stock and merit a third round pick but that is not the case now.

Devin Hester

What happened to him? During the season I thought he was just a step below Reggie Bush and I was sure he was going to be a top 10 pick whenever he came out. Now I check some mocks and he is projected to go in the second round. I say if he drops to the second we absolutely have to jump on him.

But I am biased about him since he played highschool 20 minutes from me and I had the privelidge of watching him when he played at Suncoast.

i wouldnt take him before the 4th round, he has no position, he is just a KR and you dont waste a 2nd rounder on a KR. He was the 'canes #4 CB, he cant play CB in the nFL

Devon Hester

Here is a guy that many people haven't mentioned as a possibility in the draft for us. First off, it's clear that the team needs to upgrade the PR position. Welker has solidified himself as a reliable slot man and a good KR; however, his better PR days may be behind him. I think drafting a guy like Devon Hester could do many things. First, he could have an immediate impact in improving our PR game. The other aspect is that with his lack of true position, any team that drafts him will have some options for his development. Saban likes "redshirting" his rookies anyway, so once Hester was drafted Saban and staff could evaluate him and see where they want to aid his development (either as a WR or DB). Also with Mularkey at the helm, I'm sure he could take advantage of the guy's speed and put him in some reverses and plays like that. The positive thing is that even if he never fully develops into a suitable WR or DB, he could still have a decent career as a PR if he makes that his niche (e.g. Mel Gray, Desmond Howard, etc.). Any thoughts?

tmny99 said:
Saban likes "redshirting" his rookies anyway

:confused: What? We had 3 rookie starters this season.

what are you talking about? Welker is much better punt returner than kick returner.

If Devin Hester can do for us what Dante Hall is doing for Kansas City, then I think we should take a chance on him.

Back
Top Bottom