Merged: Fletcher and Dixon Get The Axe | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Fletcher and Dixon Get The Axe

VanDolPhan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Fletcher and Dixon Get The Axe

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/8062344.htm

Spielman going to town on the deadweight. Gotta love it :)

offensive lineman Mark Dixon will be released before the start of free agency Wednesday, the Dolphins told the players' agents. The Dolphins also were believed to have released cornerback Jamar Fletcher, although his agent declined to comment.

Very nice. The players that haven't been living up to their contracts are being confronted.

Something has to be done with Madison though without cutting him. Believe it or not, Madison may be the best #2 CB in the NFL and he should not be dropped. A pay cut should be necessary.

P U R G E D ! ! !

This is getting out of control. :yes:

I love this! Finally someone making BALLZZYY moves for this franchise to cut loose guys taking up cap and roster space.Spielman is proving me right so far that he's gonna be a great GM and I think our offense is gonna look very good come Sept. and our Def. will be special with a few stars but very good role players.

Wasn't fletch supposed to be some amazing CB? Ok, so we keep cuttin all these guys, is it really good? Are players really gonna want to come here thinkin they may be cut all at once? Oh well.. money talk..

So what are the open posistions, and who do you feel we will have to fill them?

That's the beauty,nothing is opened! Marion is replaced by Freeman,Fletcher was on dime duty only so Roundtree or draft pick takes that.Point is these guys werent progressing at all as far as fletcher goes and Marion is getting slow and as a FS thats a cover position so we need speed in our scheme.I dont know if you saw that week 5 OT loss to the pats but who do you think was being burned by old and hurt troy brown to end that game.

This is what this team needs. No more nice guys at the top. Nice guys don't win championships. Maybe now everyone will play with a sense of urgency.

Originally posted by finregime
That's the beauty,nothing is opened! Marion is replaced by Freeman,Fletcher was on dime duty only so Roundtree or draft pick takes that.Point is these guys werent progressing at all as far as fletcher goes and Marion is getting slow and as a FS thats a cover position so we need speed in our scheme.I dont know if you saw that week 5 OT loss to the pats but who do you think was being burned by old and hurt troy brown to end that game.

That's right...if you saw the replay of the bomb in OT, you'd see that Marion bit on the play-action and couldn't recover. He was a solid FS for several years..but his lack of speed was starting to hurt up deep. Hopefully Freeman is the answer.

Finally I can say if he's not he'll be gone thanx to Spielman.No more keeping dead weight guys it's time to win!

Dixon / Fletcher Cut?

"Pro Bowl safety Brock Marion, receiver James McKnight and offensive lineman Mark Dixon will be released before the start of free agency Wednesday, the Dolphins told the players' agents. The Dolphins also were believed to have released cornerback Jamar Fletcher, although his agent declined to comment"

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/8062344.htm

I agree that Spielman has made a lot of moves, many of them drastic. Heck, pretty much of our whole starting o-line from Camp is gone - and all of it may be gone if we lose Wade.

Yes, he's trimmed a great deal off the cap (20+ million according to this article, with Jay still on the roster) But we've lost a huge number of players, all of whom need to be replaced with someone else. This is a good start only if they are successful at replacing them with quality talent, or resigning some of them again.

Many of the players do not need to be replaced

Marion is already being replaced by Freeman, the Fins will draft a safety for depth.

Ruddy was already being replaced by McKinney as a result of age

Dixon had already been replaced by Smith

McKnight was not a starter.

We will need a replacement for Perry - this will be the focus of FA.

We will also need another DB

Hmm, I understand what you are saying, but if we're promoting backups, we at least need new backups. [/quote]

We've released, on the o-line:

Perry (starter)
Ruddy (starter)
Dixon (backup, but we didn't plan it that way)
and rumor is Nails will aslo go (starter)

If you think McKinny is the answer at Center (and he might be) we need a backup there. McKinny was also backup at guard positions, so we need to cover that as well. Last year inconsistant play on the o-line wasn't the only problem, so were injuries and missed playing time - quality backups will be crucial.

I also see players like Minor and Greenwood at risk to go via RFA.

I just see Miami in need of:
QB
WR
RT (if Wade leaves)
RG
C
LG
LT (backup at least)
OLB
CB (fletcher released, TBuck may leave, rumors of trading Madison) - maybe 2.
and S.

That's a lot of people. Not all of them are starting, I just see Speilman needing to step up and find good people. I think he can do it, he's just going to be busy.

WOW!!!!! There going overhaul but not that much.Nails is probably gonna be goen but Madison isnt leaving or T-BUC,O line is priority from day 1.Thats why cap space is being cleared and also possibly for Darrell Jackson to be our #2 WR

Back
Top Bottom