Merged: If Stemke kicks like this all the time, he has to make the team!/Punter | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: If Stemke kicks like this all the time, he has to make the team!/Punter

Originally posted by Scotphin
Didn't see the game last night (not shown in UK!!!) but Stemke's stats were impressive. I still have doubts about him, as I saw him play with the Claymores in NFLE and he sucked. He didn't look like he could punt 40 yards, never mind 50!

He had great hang time, to this point he looks 10 tmes better than Royals.

Oliver...

I think Stempke will make theteam but if he doesnt play this year, i think he will be our punter next season because royals is a dinosaur...

The question comes down to this though Muck. You want a guy who can put distance on a ball when your deep in your end or a guy who won't give you the distance but can on occassion pin the ball on them.

I'd rather take the distance guy especially if your playing field advantage. Nothing stinks more then being stuck inside your own 15 and getting a net of 25-30 out of your punt.

It wasn't even the distance that impressed me. It was the hang time that allowed our guys to get down there to cover the punts to. That net was impressive.....haven't seen numbers like that since we had double R in here.

At worse you split the job. You have Royals come in to hold and do pinning punts and you bring the kid in to do the long punts. Teams are splitting up the kicking teams as is so why not the punting team?

Last edited by a moderator:
I gotta backtrack here a bit. I'm watching the game again a little bit. And I just saw Stemke kick one where the LOS was the Buccaneer 43 yard line. And he boomed that sucker way up and the returner fair caught it at the 12 yard line. The kick was so high that the gunners were standing around waiting for it to come down, right in position to down it if it rolled backwards.

So I gotta give props right there. Great kick!! Add fuel to the potential controversy.

PUnter

Although The new guy's punting was excellent last night, there is a BIG reason why it means nothing....Royals is Mare's Holder, and he's a good one at that! With the loss of Perry, you don't want to change the entire SPECIAL TEAMS!

This really sucks, cause the kid was one of the few bright spots last night.

Gator

But Muck's original point is right. We haven't seen this guy punt it from the 50 inside the 10. If most of you guys remember Matt Turk, he had a decent leg but he rarely could corner one. I know it's nice to have a huge leg but let's not forget that we haven't seen him directionally kick one yet. That's just as important. Royals was a very good directional kicker but didn't have a great leg and had a bad kick in New England. Although Stemke was great, it will take a whole pre-season to work this one out.

Originally posted by breckenridge55
Although Stemke was great, it will take a whole pre-season to work this one out.

That is why the thread is called "If He Continues...." ;)

Most of his kicks looked real good with great hangtime. But one of his was horrible but hit and had a great roll...

Anyone know if he can be a holder for Mare?

Back
Top Bottom