MERGED: Jim Bates Front-Runner for Packers... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Jim Bates Front-Runner for Packers...

DeathStar

Hall Of Famer
Reaction score
Jim Bates to Packers...

[font=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica][font=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica] A source said Sunday that Bates is the front-runner to become the Packers' new defensive coordinator. Bates would supplant Bob Slowik, who would shift to secondary coach to replace Kurt Schottenheimer.

Link:
[/font]
[/font]http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-dolnotes24jan24,0,6212154.story?coll=sfla-sports-front

Wish he could have done better than a step sideways like that, but good luck to him.

Well, PackPhin will be happy. The Packers defense should be much improved. They've got the talent at corner to play the type of coverage Bates likes (Harris, Carroll, Thomas).

You don't think Favre will retire do you? I don't. This is also probably the year that the Packers take their "future" QB. They shouldn't want to look stupid like us & not have a QB of the future ready when their HOF QB retires.

That article also states that Baggett will be the "assistant coach" under Saban when/if(expected) hired.

The PBP stated that Baggett will replace Sullivan, though.

Someone said my name. Thus I am Here. :beerbang:

At least Sherman got this one right. He had no business making a scapegoat out of Ed Donatell after that 4th and 26th at Philly. I wanted us to get Ed, as a defensive assistant when he gotfired, but thatwas when wanny was here. Anyway I guess everybody got what they wanted.

To be honest with you I think Favre himself doesn't know. If there's no word by March then he's staying cause then they'd have ample time to strategize for the draft. I believe he wants to win another Super bowl to makeup for that debacle against Denver. Somehow he thinks he's responsible because he had a chance to drive down and tie it but it didn't happen. Really if you look at it, favre has nothing left to play for and if this weren't a factor, I think he'd have retired last year. Guy didn't eat for days after the loss and he's been trying to win another one so he canretire in peace.

Frankly I think he'd making too much of it. 1 title and 2appearances is more than alot of QB can showfor thier career. But I guess he just doesn't wany to be the guy that was so good, but only managed to win one.

fishypete said:
But will they have a QB? If Farve retires....bates can't throw....can he?
Fiedler will be available. Bates could build a solid defense and Jay can come in a make their offense mediocre (at best). It would be like they never left the Phins. Best of luck to Bates though. I hope he has success wherever he ends up.

Good situation for him. GB is a playoff contender with some talent on DEF, yet their defense always seem to underperform. Plus Mike Sherman has been there for a few years and could step down with one more disappointing season - in which case Bates could ultimately receive consideration for the HC job.

I hope he takes it...

death7star said:
Good news, at least he wont go to NE and help them out.

I was hoping he would have gone there and help to teach them how to choke in big games. :(

Bates and Green Bay are a perfect fit... Over there in the NFC where we barely ever play them, so I can still feel good about Bates and wish him success :D

Back
Top Bottom