Merged:Joe Gibbs carted off to hospital immediately after interview w/ Mark Brunell | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged:Joe Gibbs carted off to hospital immediately after interview w/ Mark Brunell

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
Joe Gibbs carted off to hospital immediately after interview with Mark Brunell...

...was reported on ESPN News last night I saw it.

Though reasons for Gibbs' illness remained unconfirmed, sources say Gibbs suffered a mild heart attack after hearing Brunell's list of demands for a trade to Washington to be consummated in good faith.

Brunell has reportedly asked that the Skins roster no quarterbacks other than himself, that they sign Terrell Owens in free agency, and that they take all running plays out of the playbook...in addition to his not-so-subtle suggestion that his $6.5 million 2004 base salary could use "a bit more padding"

Disclaimer: Ok its a joke but in all seriousness ESPN News did report last night while I watched that Gibbs indeed was carted off to the hospital immediately after meeting with Mark Brunell. For those conspiracy theorists claiming that the meeting might not have happened or that Washington's interest is only minor, its confirmed Gibbs did meet with Brunell and only hours before that he gave an interview that was on ESPN News. Then he flew down to FL, met with Brunell and immediately was carted off to the hospital with undisclosed illness. ESPN News speculated that Gibbs' past history with diabetes suggests perhaps it was related to that, but Gibbs was released from the hospital within the night.

That makes sense. Think ole Joe will pony up even more cuz he knows Brunell is such a nice guy?

The Herald is saying only 4th round picks are on the table at this point.

No, the Herald is saying that two NFL sources say that its POSSIBLE that only 4th round picks are on the table. The Jaguars themselves say they have a confirmed 2nd round pick offer, which could mean a conditional pick in 2005 that could be a 2nd rounder depending on what Brunell does in 2004.

According to various reports, the Jaguars already have secured a second-round offer for the rights to Brunell and are hoping the four teams interested in the player -- Miami, Washington, San Diego and Dallas -- will conduct a bidding frenzy that will drive the price higher.

Then they say...

But two NFL sources said Monday that the Jaguars might have only fourth-round offers for Brunell in hand

Notice the word "MIGHT" The sources obviously have no way of knowing, and they are speculating.

Gibbs is fine. When he took the job he announced that he is a diabetic and when he had the job previously...he was given to many late night snacks. He said that he would have to be much more careful.

Obviously, Gibbs was not careful. The local media here is DC reported that Gibbs starting feeling bad when he was on the flight to florida. Then sighted that Gibbs was NOT eating right. He was trying to get by off of pizza and soda.

The local media reported that it was Brunell himself that took Gibbs to the hospital. So much for great first impressions.

As far as the second round pick thing...I've always had trouble believing that. It sounds to me that the Jags are trying to drive up his value...which would be in there interest to do so.

Sure but it would be bad form for them to outright lie. I think it much more likely that a team (maybe even us) have offered like a conditional pick in 2005 that could become a 2nd rounder if Brunell gets us to like, the AFC Championship or something.

It's bad form to try and surreptitiously hammer out details of a trade before the trading period starts, too.

Not really. There's no rules against it. Its not considered unethical in the least or bad form in any way.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Sure but it would be bad form for them to outright lie. I think it much more likely that a team (maybe even us) have offered like a conditional pick in 2005 that could become a 2nd rounder if Brunell gets us to like, the AFC Championship or something.

Actually, there is no lie that could be traced back to any official. There has been a BUZZ created by the media.

Now, the media is starting to check those numbers to see if they are realistic.

Of course, you have the Synder factor in there...and you never know what he is willing to offer. But, I don't see Gibbs that willing to overspend when they still have tremendous needs at other positions.

I have no trouble believing that the Jags asked for a 2nd round pick as a starting point in the negotiations...but a fourth round pick is much more realistic...especially if other teams such as the Dolphins are still considered in the running.

Its much more realistic, but once again considering the sources I find it much more likely than not that a 2nd rounder has at least "come up" in the discussions. Like I said, it might have been a conditional 2nd or whatever, but thats what Jags are telling teams who want to enter bidding.

So here's the question: if you're Mark Brunell, does this hospital trip give you a chance to bond with a prospective coach, or does it make you say: "Uh-uh. No way."?

Originally posted by DrAstroZoom
So here's the question: if you're Mark Brunell, does this hospital trip give you a chance to bond with a prospective coach, or does it make you say: "Uh-uh. No way."?

Hmmm. I was wondering the same thing. IMO, they already have a connection that goes beyond the realm of football...they are both men committed to the same faith.

Does the insulin incident sweeten the deal or is it a warning sign to avoid the Redskins? We shall see.

Interesting perspective Dr Z! I wonder if Brunell is having second thoughts now!? I doubt it, but would be interesting thought.

Back
Top Bottom