MERGED: Official World Cup thread: Talk about the tournament here | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Official World Cup thread: Talk about the tournament here

WestPhish

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
The usual favorites are:

Argentina
Brazil
Germany
Italy

but I am throwing Spain in the pot...they are playing incredible football....cannot wait till June!

Forza Azzurri !!!!!!!!!!! Gotta go with Italy as I lived in Verona for fours years. I have four soccer channels on my dish to catch games from England, Italy, Mexico and here in the USA.

Well as I from Ireland I care, i get to laugh at Englands typical pathetic and foolishly futile attempts at winning said competition.

Spain are Favourites

Brazil cant be forgotton.

Italy - reasonably strong slim chance

Germany - solid Bet for semi finals

France - Quarterfinals

Argentina - Quarterfinals

England ( first plane home wishful thinking) but quarterfinals prob

I copuld go on but am here cos American football not football (no one calls it soccer )

With the injury to Fabregas, Spain will be hurting a bit
Beckham is out for England...

So I honestly don't know England will fare without the manchild himself

With the injury to Fabregas, Spain will be hurting a bit
Beckham is out for England...

So I honestly don't know England will fare without the manchild himself

England will not miss Beckham. He would not have been in the starting line up anyhow even if he was fit. This English side under Cappello are much more consistant and organised than they have been under any of the last few coaches. I actually think they will be quite dangerous in this tournament.

As favorites go, you will always have the same names knocking around, but for me, Brazil are the team to beat. Ireland played both Italy and France in qualification and neither team looked on a par to what I've seen from Brazil. Italy lack the killer instinct up front, while Fance do not have the same quality they had in years gone by. France also have some major issues off the field regarding senior players and the manager Domenech. Argentina mean while looked awful in qualification and will go no-where under Maradona, who is out of his depth as a coach at this level.

But as we have seen in previous years, that even after average qualification, the big teams can turn it on when it matters. Germany and Spain are ones to watch out for, while dark horses for me are the Netherlands.

Argentina, had trouble qualifying and they have an terrible coach in Maradona. But they have the best player in the world in Messi, and some of the top scorers in Europe like Higuain, Milito, Tevez, etc. Just by talent alone Argentina should get to the quarters.

Brazil-- has been playing good football, but not great football. They are not the dominant teams of yester year.

Spain-- is a well oiled machine, they have not lost a qualifying match and to me they are the team to beat in the World Cup.

Argentina, had trouble qualifying and they have an terrible coach in Maradona. But they have the best player in the world in Messi, and some of the top scorers in Europe like Higuain, Milito, Tevez, etc. Just by talent alone Argentina should get to the quarters.

Brazil-- has been playing good football, but not great football. They are not the dominant teams of yester year.

Spain-- is a well oiled machine, they have not lost a qualifying match and to me they are the team to beat in the World Cup.

I actually think Argentina will struggle to come out of the group stages. I think against a well organised team like Greece they will struggle to break down and Nigeria will also be tricky. While they have great individual talent, they are poorly organised and Maradona hasn't a clue tactically. I'd like to see Argentina do well as two Newcastle lads will be in the squad, but I dont see it happening.

Your right that Brazil do not have the same individual talen as years before but they still have some very good talent and look more assured at the back. Think they are more balanced than past Brazillian sides. Spain will also be dangerous with or without Fabregas.

Other teams from South America to look out for:

Chile--- They are playing very good football, and under coach Bielsa they are force to be reckoned with.

Paraguay--- Had a great qualifying campaign and has very dangerous offensive players.

Other teams from South America to look out for:

Chile--- They are playing very good football, and under coach Bielsa they are force to be reckoned with.

Paraguay--- Had a great qualifying campaign and has very dangerous offensive players.

Both teams along with Uruguay got nice enough draws so all three have got chances of advancing to the knock out stages.

Out of the African sides I really like Ghana and the Ivory Coast, however both got bad draws especially Ivory Coast. Brazil and Portugal in the same group!!!

i could care less since Ireland was cheated by a non hand ball call so the world cup can go to hell

Back
Top Bottom