MERGED: Official World Cup thread: Talk about the tournament here | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Official World Cup thread: Talk about the tournament here

Prior to the game, I was hoping the Netherlands would win. but as the game worn on, I completely changed my opinion and was hoping the proper footballing team would win. The Netherlands ruined would should have been a fantastic game, with their consistent fouling and brutality. Spain went out and tried to play, while the Dutch went out to disrupt the flow of the game. I dont mind a team going in hard and trying to get in the faces of the opposition, but that was way over the top and they could have seriously injured someone.

The ref was mainly at fault for this, for not sending off Van Bommel and De Jong in the first half. Heitinga should have been sent off earlier. By not stamping his authority on the game early he let the Dutch run riot.

The worst thing for me though is that with players like Robben, Van Persie, Van Der Vaart, Sneijder, etc, the Dutch could have went out and played football as they have the talent.

Thankfully the team that plays football the right way won.

I felt the same when seeing the game, and thinking that spain has been faithful to their idea of football in the first place. They played the same way all the tournament, trying to treat the ball well. That's why i think spain was the best team in the World Cup, and the one who should've gotten the cup as they ended up doing.

Also congrats to Diego Forlan for winning the best player award. A deserving winner IMO.

Really bothers me to see most of the media discussing how ugly the game was and seemingly blaming it on Spain. All I hear are comments like, "Well, it wasn't pretty, but it counts." If Spain had it there way, it would have been pretty. The Netherlands were the villains to the sport. For me, anyway, the game was very exciting because of this aspect. Rarely in sports do you get an unbiased sense of good vs. bad. Here, though, it was clear. The out-classed Netherlands decided they'd try to even the game by daring the refs to drop yellow and red cards. And, they almost got away with it. In the closing moments of extra time, "good" triumphs. It's just not something you see in sports. Even when I root for the Dolphins, I have no illusions of good vs. bad - just what I want vs. what I don't want.

The Dutch play rough, that's their style....in this case I think it got a bit out of hand. The referee handled it fairly well considering the kind of hitting that was going on. I have heard people moaning that it was a boring game because there was no scoring, I guess you have to know the sport and appreciate skill to really see how great of a game this was. For those that are curious, this is how the top five teams ranked after the WC was done.....

1) Spain
2) Holland
3) Germany
4) Uruguay
5) Argentina

The Dutch play rough, that's their style....in this case I think it got a bit out of hand. The referee handled it fairly well considering the kind of hitting that was going on. I have heard people moaning that it was a boring game because there was no scoring, I guess you have to know the sport and appreciate skill to really see how great of a game this was. For those that are curious, this is how the top five teams ranked after the WC was done.....

1) Spain
2) Holland
3) Germany
4) Uruguay
5) Argentina

Bull. There were two obvious red cards in the first half. The refs were too afraid to take someone out of the game - as they should have done. The Netherlands dared the refs to try and take control of the game, and the refs failed. They should have been playing two men down for the entire 2nd half. Saying that they play "physical" is bull****.

Bull. There were two obvious red cards in the first half. The refs were too afraid to take someone out of the game - as they should have done. The Netherlands dared the refs to try and take control of the game, and the refs failed. They should have been playing two men down for the entire 2nd half. Saying that they play "physical" is bull****.

I agree that the referee showed some restraint with some of the fouls, if he didn't he would have expelled half the Dutch players. The Dutch played like this was an iteration of Wrestle mania, flying side kicks and all. Johan Cruyff, probably the best Dutch footballer of all time criticized the aggressive style of his country's team.

Back
Top Bottom