Merged: Reggie McNeal | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Reggie McNeal

4evaFinz

Practice Squad
Reaction score
"Athletic QB?"

I remember there being a little week or two span during the season when Saban had been talking about an athletic QB. I understand that Mueller also hs a late draft QB philosophy. Well does anyone think we may go after Reggie McNeal. I know he is a Mike Vick-esque type of QB. There are also alot of question marks on him (accuracy, smarts, etc.). But the kid has a cannon, and some wheel to go with it. Opens up our deep game, takes pressure off of the o-line, and if we can get some QB coaching the kid just might be able to make it in the NFL. Think we go after him late in day one, or in day two as a project QB?

Athletic doesnt mean you can run a 4.3

It means you can buy time in the pocket, scramble when needed and make all the throws

Remember that

Unless its Vince Young id rather have a pockett passer this year than a project

Alex22 said:
Athletic doesnt mean you can run a 4.3

It means you can buy time in the pocket, scramble when needed and make all the throws

Remember that

Unless its Vince Young id rather have a pockett passer this year than a project

You can't question his ability to move in the pocket, he is more than a 4.3. The issue is if he can make the play through the air when he makes time to throw.

Any QB we get will be a project. Especially cause they wont see any real playing time till 2007...

4evaFinz said:
You can't question his ability to move in the pocket, he is more than a 4.3. The issue is if he can make the play through the air when he makes time to throw.

exactly, the point is a scrambleing QB who has questionable passing ability and bad decisions cant be good just because of speed, Athleticism has almost nothing to do with speed at all is my point

Usually they coincide, but not always that's true. However, McNeal's accuracy is terrible quite frankly and we need someone who can hit above 57% atleast in college.

Alex22 said:
exactly, the point is a scrambleing QB who has questionable passing ability and bad decisions cant be good just because of speed, Athleticism has almost nothing to do with speed at all is my point

I don't understand your arguement. Are you saying an athletic QB is an athletic QB because he can throw the ball? Some can, but those aren't the traits that make them athletic QBs. What does Vick have that Manning doesn't? Speed, Agility, Acceleration, etc. All things McNeal has. He is more than speed, he has all the attributes that make a QB, an athletic QB. The question is can he build the traits that make him an effective QB? I think with the right coaching he can. Plus he has a natural arm. Accuracy and decision making are the things he needs to work on. But really 90% of QBs coming from college have to work on those, it is just he has more work to do. With the right work ethic, and good coaching he could be a great QB. But can we offer that, and he can he offer the will?

Jaj said:
Usually they coincide, but not always that's true. However, McNeal's accuracy is terrible quite frankly and we need someone who can hit above 57% atleast in college.

Exactly my concern. But is it correctable? The idea of a late pick is not to get someone you expect to start from the beginning. But rather someone you hope you can develop. So can we develop him?

4evaFinz said:
I don't understand your arguement. Are you saying an athletic QB is an athletic QB because he can throw the ball? Some can, but those aren't the traits that make them athletic QBs. What does Vick have that Manning doesn't? Speed, Agility, Acceleration, etc. All things McNeal has. He is more than speed, he has all the attributes that make a QB, an athletic QB. The question is can he build the traits that make him an effective QB? I think with the right coaching he can. Plus he has a natural arm. Accuracy and decision making are the things he needs to work on. But really 90% of QBs coming from college have to work on those, it is just he has more work to do. With the right work ethic, and good coaching he could be a great QB. But can we offer that, and he can he offer the will?

Exactly my concern. But is it correctable? The idea of a late pick is not to get someone you expect to start from the beginning. But rather someone you hope you can develop. So can we develop him?

Reading defenses and the flow of being a quarterback doesn't come from coaching very often. Some have it some don't...

4evaFinz said:
I remember there being a little week or two span during the season when Saban had been talking about an athletic QB. I understand that Mueller also hs a late draft QB philosophy. Well does anyone think we may go after Reggie McNeal. I know he is a Mike Vick-esque type of QB. There are also alot of question marks on him (accuracy, smarts, etc.). But the kid has a cannon, and some wheel to go with it. Opens up our deep game, takes pressure off of the o-line, and if we can get some QB coaching the kid just might be able to make it in the NFL. Think we go after him late in day one, or in day two as a project QB?

Mike Vick-esque is not the best way to sell a player IMHO. What Vick qualities makes you want a QB like him?
Inacurate-esque?
Soft-esque?
Can't win big games-esque?
Quitter-esque?
Heartless-esque?
Will always be talked about in terms of potential not performance-esque?

Vick is the last QB you want to pattern yourself after if there are a lot of fast, hard hitting LBs and Safties in your division.

Not to rain on your parade or anything. I'm just sayin'.

NawlinsBucFan said:
Mike Vick-esque is not the best way to sell a player IMHO. What Vick qualities makes you want a QB like him?
Inacurate-esque?
Soft-esque?
Can't win big games-esque?
Quitter-esque?
Heartless-esque?
Will always be talked about in terms of potential not performance-esque?

Vick is the last QB you want to pattern yourself after if there are a lot of fast, hard hitting LBs and Safties in your division.

Not to rain on your parade or anything. I'm just sayin'.
I would take Vick-esque over frerotte-esque but of course would rather have Brady-esque.

having seen their performances in the bowl games... Troy Smith and Michael Robinson are intriguing prospects, as well as Brad Smith.

Any love for these guys?

finsnchips said:
having seen their performances in the bowl games... Troy Smith and Michael Robinson are intriguing prospects, as well as Brad Smith.

Any love for these guys?

Robinson will probably be converted to WR. Smith might also be converted.

I should have put projects rather than prospects. Of the three I prefer Troy Smith, he impressed against Notre Dame.

finsnchips said:
I should have put projects rather than prospects. Of the three I prefer Troy Smith, he impressed against Notre Dame.

He definitely had a great game, showed unbelievable poise. He will stay for his senior year though.

Back
Top Bottom