Merged: Reggie McNeal | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Reggie McNeal

kastofsna120 said:
frerotte is about the extent of athleticism they desire

I would agree to to an extent. That is all the athleticism you need to run this offense.

ether79 said:
I would agree to to an extent. That is all the athleticism you need to run this offense.

kastofsna120 said:
i'd say cutler is a perfect fit for the offense

Do we keep on running the same type of offense if Linehan leaves?

4evaFinz said:
Do we keep on running the same type of offense if Linehan leaves?

Some form of it I would expect. Saban likes that attacking style and would probably keep some derivative of it.

Reggie McNeal?

Does anyone know anything about Reggie McNeal? Texas A&M QB? 6'2 runs a 4.35 fourty? Nfldraft countdown has him listed at the 5th best QB.

Funny. I just replied in another thread that he'd make the best stealth pick in the draft if we convinced him during the combine to switch to WR. Then we'd promise him our selection in the 3rd round.

If he is anything like other QBs who became WRs in the pros, he could become the next Hines Ward -- with Randel El speed.

Hostile 17 said:
Funny. I just replied in another thread that he'd make the best stealth pick in the draft if we convinced him during the combine to switch to WR. Then we'd promise him our selection in the 3rd round.

If he is anything like other QBs who became WRs in the pros, he could become the next Hines Ward -- with Randel El speed.

Could be, but that's only if he has good hands.

FinaticalOne said:
Could be, but that's only if he has good hands.
True that. He'd have to be worked out at the combine with the other WRs before we promised that selection. We'd also have to work him out to see how he might fare getting off the line of scrimmage against DBs at the next level. That's been the knock on more than one QB-to-WR switch.

However, I am intrigued by the way many of these former college QBs become very good receivers in the league. Their knowledge of route-running and how to adjust to the ball is intrinsic to success at the WR position. Success stories have included Hines Ward, Drew Bennett and Matt Jones. All three have great hands.

ckparrothead said:
He was invited to attend the Senior Bowl as a wide receiver. He refused...
Give him time. Some guys just need to come to terms...

From his QB draft evaluation:

Reggie McNeal Texas A&M 6-2 209 4.35
***Strengths:
An amazing athlete with rare speed for any position let alone quarterback...Has a great arm and quick release...Can move outside the pocket and throw on the run...Has about a 2-to-1 TD / INT ratio the past couple of seasons...Very tough...Shows flashes of brilliance...The type of running threat that keeps defenders up at night...Has a lot of tools to work with and some major upside.

Weaknesses:
Very erratic as a passer...Struggles to read defenses...Makes bad decisions under pressure...Leadership abilities have been questioned...Stares down his intended targets...Despite his speed he is no Michael Vick when it comes to moves...Is not very tall and gets too many passes knocked down at the line...Is too cautious and worried about making the big mistake...Raw overall and will need development.

Notes:
May have to make a position change since he is a much better athlete than quarterback...Did not have the huge senior season everyone was expecting...Will more than likely get an opportunity to be a pro signal caller and in a worst-case scenario could move to wide receiver...An interesting prospect to say the least.
Doesn't sound like anybody who'd go in the first day of the draft, and certainly may not get drafted altogether if he refuses to switch positions.

Hostile 17 said:
Give him time. Some guys just need to come to terms...

Doesn't sound like anybody who'd go in the first day of the draft, and certainly may not get drafted altogether if he refuses to switch positions.

Someone might take a shot later in the draft and see what he can learn from a good QB coach. He'll probably have to make the move to WR, but I just think he's going to want a shot at QB first before he agrees to it.

Seeking Information on Reggie McNeal

Is there anyone out there with an informed opinion on Reggie McNeal? I saw him play 2 or 3 games as a junior, but I didn't catch any of his games this year before he got hurt.

I know he has the measurables...height, size, arm strength, but I don't know anything about his development as a passer. I also know that his development might have been stunted by having 3 or 4 different offenses to learn during his career.

If it came down to the 5th or 6th round, or even as a free agent, would McNeal be worth a look as a developmental project?

Reggie McNeal Texas A&M 6-2 209 4.35
***Strengths:
An amazing athlete with rare speed for any position let alone quarterback...Has a great arm and quick release...Can move outside the pocket and throw on the run...Has about a 2-to-1 TD / INT ratio the past couple of seasons...Very tough...Shows flashes of brilliance...The type of running threat that keeps defenders up at night...Has a lot of tools to work with and some major upside.

Weaknesses:
Very erratic as a passer...Struggles to read defenses...Makes bad decisions under pressure...Leadership abilities have been questioned...Stares down his intended targets...Despite his speed he is no Michael Vick when it comes to moves...Is not very tall and gets too many passes knocked down at the line...Is too cautious and worried about making the big mistake...Raw overall and will need development.

Notes:
May have to make a position change since he is a much better athlete than quarterback...Did not have the huge senior season everyone was expecting...Will more than likely get an opportunity to be a pro signal caller and in a worst-case scenario could move to wide receiver...An interesting prospect to say the least.

I replied in another thread that he'd make the best stealth pick in the draft if we convinced him during the combine to switch to WR. Then we'd promise him our selection in the 3rd round.

If he is anything like other QBs who became WRs in the pros, he could become the next Hines Ward -- with Randel El speed. However, I am intrigued by the way many of these former college QBs become very good receivers in the league. Their knowledge of route-running and how to adjust to the ball is intrinsic to success at the WR position. Success stories have included Hines Ward, Drew Bennett and Matt Jones. All three have great hands.

6-2 and 209, and runs a 4.35? He could be a Hines Ward with Randy Moss speed! Perhaps THE stealth pick of the draft.

I don't have an informed decision on him, but in a chat Mel Kiper said he might get a shot at QB in the later rounds, but has a good chance of switching positions in the NFL.

Back
Top Bottom