Merged: Rivers, Losman Etc./Rivers (site) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Rivers, Losman Etc./Rivers (site)

Re: Rivers

Originally posted by Noland
I am not a North Carolina State fan I am a UNC fan an I wish he played for the tarheels but he did'nt so I wish he will play for the dolphins. No disrespect against Losman I Know he has got alot of talent I just Know Rivers does to. His size and his ability remind me of Marino. You know if I will talk good about a rivarly team's player like NC State is you know I think he is good.

Understood. that eliminates the "are you biased question". However I cant beleive noone else in concerned about the volatility of this situation. Soo many like Ben and Eli, it just feels like they would be a safer bet.

White won the Hesiman this year on hype. Some players are better at generating pre-draft hype to improve their position in the draft (Leaf, Shuler). Rivers completed 71% of his passes this year against some decent competition. Not to mention the fact that he did it with a lackluster supporting cast. The last time I saw a QB who I thought was going to be a stud in the NFL it was Favre. I live in Atlanta and people thought I was nuts when I kept saying he was going to be really good. When they traded him to the Packers I thought I was wrong. Sometimes you have to go with what you see on the field rather than what some draft guru guy says. The only player this year that made me say “how did he do that†more than once was Rivers. I think 5 years down the road Manning and Rivers will be the cream of the QB crop this year. Manning is more the robo stand in the pocket QB and Rivers is more improvisational. Rivers would be a perfect fit for Miami.

Originally posted by chambers84
If not Eli Manning, then I would take a WR at #20 and get Brunell in FA. EOS

WE need both a WR/Oline and QB in the first Rd. Another reason to get wally out. Love him but he has more value in picks vs. play.

I'm just gonna go by the books, they say Losman is rated higher then Rivers who could be a 2nd-3rd rounder. If Riveres was that good, he wouldn't be ranked that low by professionals who do this for a living year round. I don't think we need to waste a #1 on a QB unless we are rebuilding like Sand Diego, Arizona, etc. We need to spend that pick on WRs or OL. We should get a QB via FA and promote Sage. WRs and OL can jump in and be successful quicker then QBs can and we aren't rebuilding.

Prospect: Jonathan Paul “J.P.†Losman

School: Tulane

Position: Quarterback

Height: 6-2 1/2

Weight: 212

40: 4.73

Draft Projection: Mid Round 1/Early Round 2

Bio: Born March 12, 1981 in Venice, California… wears number 7 on game tape… High School All-American… rated the number 3 high school quarterback in the nation by PrepStar Magazine… originally spent a Spring in UCLA… transferred to Tulane in 1999… redshirted his freshman year at Tulane… took over the starting job in 2002 after the graduation of Washington Redskin quarterback Patrick Ramsey… set school record with 5 touchdown passes against Navy his junior season… Top Ten in every passing category all-time at Tulane… Preseason All-American by Draft2004.com… Preseason All-Conference USA by many publications… On the Davey O’Brien watch list, given to nation’s top D1-A quarterback… Classical Studies major… received a 7.2 grade from the National Scouting Services, one whole point higher than the second quarterback (Eli Manning with 6.2)… has been invited to the 2004 Senior Bowl

Stats: 58 of 115 for 722 yards, 4 touchdowns, and 2 interceptions as a freshman… 31 of 49 for 487 yards, 4 touchdowns, and 1 interception as a sophomore… 230 of 401 for 2468 yards, 19 touchdowns, and 10 interceptions as a junior… 163 of 263 for 2048 yards, 22 touchdowns, and 8 interceptions through 7 games a senior

Character/Medical Issues: Missed 5 games in 2001 because of a sprained MCL.

Arm Strength: Has a very, very strong arm. Has the ability to hit receivers perfectly on stride 30+ yards downfield. Shows great power on his long passes.

Accuracy: Very accurate passer. Hits small targets with no problem.

Field Vision: Has good field vision. He is able to see blitzes, as well as the movement of defensive backs in the opposing secondary.

Touch: Shows very good touch on his passes.

Mobility: He is a great athlete and he shows this through his mobility. He is able to make plays running the ball or even by throwing on the run.

Release: Has a quick and smooth delivery.

Mechanics: Unfortunately, this is by far his biggest weakness. He has poor footwork, he doesn’t set his feet, and he poorly rotates his hips. Poor body control.

Drop Back: In Tulane’s pass-heavy offense, he isn’t asked to drop back a lot. Although when he does he is quick and efficient in his steps.

Judgment: Has great judgment. This is proven by a 21/828 interception to attempt ratio, the highest in school and conference history.

Pocket Presence: Doesn’t get rattled easily. Improving presence in the pocket.

Overall Analysis: J.P. Losman has absolutely sky-rocketed up the draft boards recently. He will push Eli Manning to the limit, as far as the first senior quarterback chosen. He is probably the top overall athlete at the position, as well. His strength numbers include a 375 lb. bench press, 460 lb. squat, and 35 in. vertical. He has an extremely strong arm and has the touch to complete the long passes. He is also very accurate on short and medium passes. He has a quick delivery and he doesn’t waste time in the pocket. He makes good judgments both throwing and running. As I said his mechanics are poor. He has what is known as “happy feetâ€Â. His feet are constantly moving but in not always in the right directions and he has a consistent habit of throwing off of his back foot. This is definitely his biggest concerns. He is similar to Patrick Ramsey, as well as last year’s sky-rocket quarterback: Kyle Boller. People may question the talent he is playing against in the Conference USA, but I do not see it. Teams like TCU and Southern Miss have top 20 overall defenses in the country and non-conference games like Texas are definitely not easy. The offense he plays in is also somewhat of a concern. Mostly shotgun formations with 3,4, and sometimes 5 wide receivers. Although, this also shouldn’t be a concern because he is very, very smart and should be able to quickly adjust to more NFL-style formations and playbooks. He has been invited to the Senior Bowl and should be invited to the combine. To do what he has done with the players around him is very impressive. Look for him to continue to rise because of his athleticism and passing skills. Although, I never see him reaching the level of Eli Manning.

Rivers

Everybody says that Rivers has a bad release if I can remember right Marino had a bad release at times and Brett Favre has a bad release at times to an he don't get alot of passes batted down. I just enjoy watching Rivers play he may not be that good I just enjoy watching him play? I was watching them play against Maryland or FSU I cant remember but the announcers said that Rivers release and the way he played reminded them of Dan Marino? Rivers, Marino, and Favre are close to the same size.

Philip Rivers

Position: Quarterback

School: North Carolina State

Height: 6-4

Weight: 230

40-Yard Dash: 4.95

Positives: Rivers has good size and arm strength, but it's his incredibly quick release and uncanny accuracy (71%) that catches my eye. He is an intelligent pocket passer, and he has good instincts for the position. Goes through his progressions well, often finding secondary receivers. Not very athletic, but he does throw well on the run. A tremendous leader who doesn't rattle easily.

Negatives: He is probably never going to be the type of quarterback that you would hold up as an example for young players to study. He has a very unorthodox delivery (tends to sidearm the ball) and his footwork needs some improvement.

Projection: Philip Rivers is a bit of a concern because of his throwing motion, but I believe he can be a solid starter in the NFL. I expect him to be selected in the late first or early second round of the 2004 NFL Draft.

PHILIP RIVERS Senior | North Carolina State
HT:6'5
WT:235

ANALYSIS: 4-Year starter. Excellent college player. Steady, consistent and wins. Is a big, classic dropback passer with a nice arm and good accuracy and touch. A lot will be made of his unorthodox throwing mechanics but he improved on them quite a bit last season and it hasn't affected his productivity so to me, it's nearly a non-issue. His release is quick and the ball has great velocity coming off his arm. The only problem is that it is low but at 6'5, he hasn't had problems with the ball being batted down. He has worked greatly on his athleticism and is much better moving around the pocket now. Still not someone you can count on to make too many defenders miss and make plays downfield. Has a great head for the game and will work hard to succeed. Is mature enough to handle stepping in to the NFL.

OVERALL: Will be a good NFL starter. Has the intangibles to succeed and arm strength is good. Plus he has constantly improved his question marks. Late 1st/early 2nd.

I would take Phil Rivers over any college quarterback this year. ITs just a feeling I have had watching him. IM not a NC state fan or anything, but he just looks like someone who is going to make it. I like his attitude, his maturity and leadership. THe guy is tough and takes hits (Ohio state game had 3 guys on him and still made a pass, reminds me somewhat of Brett Favre) I love this guy, I really think he will be great.

With Sage already logging NFL time and looking damn good, I'd prefer to use the #1 pick on a top WR or OL and bring in Brunell or other FA QB.

I Know this may sound crazy but if the dolphins is looking for a new QB and looking for a QB in the draft. Would it be great if they could hire Marino as a QB coach to teach the younger qb's he would be a excellent qb coach? I know he is enjoying what he is doing in broacasting an he probably would't do it and later on he could work himself to be a Head Coach. He has so much fire and compassion for the game he would play now if he could. Just a crazy thought what do yah think?

Thanks for the analysis guys. I like the sound of both I guess. It is really really hard to figure out which QBs will be good and which not.

It sounds to me like JP Losman will take sacks.

If the delivery on Rivers is really unorthodox there probably isn't an NFL coach out there who won't try to coach it out of him. But the side-arm is exceptable in certain situations and Rivers will have to learn the difference, like Gannon did during his hey-day with the Raiders.

Re: Re: Rivers

Originally posted by dreadlockera

However I cant beleive noone else in concerned about the volatility of this situation. Soo many like Ben and Eli, it just feels like they would be a safer bet.

safer bet, maybe... so were shuler, leaf, mirer
so many good qbs have not only come from later in the first round, but on the second day of the draft even, i dont think we need to trade up for one of those two. Stand strong, hopefully get extra picks with ogun and use them to get us better and younger at various positions. Would like to get Losman or Rivers, hopefully the new GM can evaluate QBs, and put us in a position to land one of those two as well as improve our OL/WR spots.

As much as i want rashaun woods or lee evans, i would not be opposed to passing on a WR until the third round, that's how deep this wr draft is. then signing someone like muhsin or bruce and using our 3rd rounder as our 3rd wr for a year while he learns.

Back
Top Bottom