Merged: Saban considering trading up? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Saban considering trading up?

sports24/7

Bleeder of Aqua and Orange
Reaction score
Saban considering trading up?

In this little blurb at the bottom of this article it says a source says he expects Saban to "aggresively explore moving up from 16 to select a QB."

the link is posted below.

as for saban moving up, people also thought we were going to take aaron rodgers or try to trade up and get alex smith. i think its just a smoke screen right now...

IMO, if Saban has the balls to give up something substantial in order to get a higher pick, it shows he is indeed willing to give something up, in which case there's no telling how high we could trade up. Imagine if we landed Leinart!

"Nolan has control of personnel decisions with the 49ers, and there has been speculation he might be willing to trade down from the No. 7 spot. The Dolphins might be interested in that spot if a quarterback, such as Jay Cutler of Vanderbilt, were available.
Williams, who has expressed a desire to play on the West Coast and has a sister who works in San Francisco, is one of the strongest pieces of trade bait the Dolphins might have to get from No. 16 to a higher position in the draft."

Very interesting that we could trade our 1st and Ricky for a higher 1st. I wonder if that article was written before the senior bowl, because I wouldn't want to spend our first and Ricky to effectively land Jay Cutler. I'd prefer trading with someone else and trying to land Hawk.

HysterikiLL said:
IMO, if Saban has the balls to give up something substantial in order to get a higher pick, it shows he is indeed willing to give something up, in which case there's no telling how high we could trade up. Imagine if we landed Leinart!

Huh :confused: If he is willing to give something up it shows he's willing to give something up?

DonShula84 said:
Huh :confused: If he is willing to give something up it shows he's willing to give something up?

What I meant by that was it doesn't seem like Saban is a guy who would be willing to give up much, if anything, in order to get a higher draft pick. If he is going to trade up, it would show that his instinctive beliefs are not relative to what would be typical of him to do, therefore there's no saying where we'd trade up to...e.g. if we're willing to give up something to move to seven, it shows we're willing to trade quality for perceived value in this draft, so we could try and make a deal to two or three using the same reasoning. Hope I cleared that up.

HysterikiLL said:
What I meant by that was it doesn't seem like Saban is a guy who would be willing to give up much, if anything, in order to get a higher draft pick. If he is going to trade up, it would show that his instinctive beliefs are not relative to what would be typical of him to do, therefore there's no saying where we'd trade up to...e.g. if we're willing to give up something to move to seven, it shows we're willing to trade quality for perceived value in this draft, so we could try and make a deal to two or three using the same reasoning. Hope I cleared that up.

gotcha :D

If Saban believes Cutler is the real deal he HAS TO TRADE UP! Props if he does it because it shows he's got the stuff to be a succesful in this league. It's not all Xs and Os and Rah rah motivation crap( we have a process, one play at a time, yada, yada yada). He instantly vaults behind Shula if he's got the stuff to move up. Even if Cutler doesn't pan out, it shows he understands the game, the rules, the business of football.

And if he doesn't move up, I'll assume he either doesn't feel Cutler is worth or the trade wasn't there, and I'll be fine with that if we bring in a free agent QB.

So long as we don't start 2006 with Gus, Sage and Cleo again I'm happy

If Saban trades up i hope it would be for Vince Young more so than Cutler.

KingCrowder said:
If Saban trades up i hope it would be for Vince Young more so than Cutler.

that is what Im thinking. Based on yesterdays game, Cutler is not really the real deal as far as being in the top 5. I think Saban thinks he could take Croyle or Whitelhurst and still do the same damage over time. Its way too early to assume that Saban would do anything for sure at this time.

I smell a minny cold pizza in the microwave.

adamprez2003 said:
If Saban believes Cutler is the real deal he HAS TO TRADE UP! Props if he does it because it shows he's got the stuff to be a succesful in this league. It's not all Xs and Os and Rah rah motivation crap( we have a process, one play at a time, yada, yada yada). He instantly vaults behind Shula if he's got the stuff to move up. Even if Cutler doesn't pan out, it shows he understands the game, the rules, the business of football.

And if he doesn't move up, I'll assume he either doesn't feel Cutler is worth or the trade wasn't there, and I'll be fine with that if we bring in a free agent QB.

So long as we don't start 2006 with Gus, Sage and Cleo again I'm happy

So if he doesnt bring in a Free agent QB then he is a piece of crap isnt he?

I think if by any chance Leinart or Young are not picked in the top 4 and the Jets pass on them we trade to the # 7 spot in front of Detroit and Baltimore.
ex.
1st-Houston-Reggie Bush
2nd-New Orleans-Vince Young
3rd-Tenn-Jay Cutler
4th-NY-D'brick Fergusion
5th-Greenbay-Mario Williams
6th-Oakland-AJ Hawk
7th-Miami(from SF)-Matt Leinart

Back
Top Bottom