MERGED: Speilman on Thin Ice? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Speilman on Thin Ice?

I would rather keep Spielman than have that guy from Tampa Bay taking over as GM.....

He's a good talent guy and he's also very young. It would not surprise me in 5-10 years if he's one of the top GM's in the league (for another team).

I second the motion about the Tampa guy. We need to eliminate all vestiges of the win-cheap-with-defense mentality.

Rick Spielman set this rebuilding process back a good year by last year's panic fest.

Thank God he's no longer in any type of authority.

jlfin said:
He's a good talent guy and he's also very young. It would not surprise me in 5-10 years if he's one of the top GM's in the league (for another team).

Very young? He must be pushing 50 about now.

Hes not a good talent guy. He sucks. He overpays for injury-prone problematic players.

It would not surprise me if he is Wannys lapdog again in Pitt next year.

Saban wants his own man, someone he's comfortable with. It makes sense.

Speilman is as good as gone and has been since Saban took over. I may have no idea how to predict opinions, i.e. who we or anyone else will draft, but the basic stuff is simple:

* Surtain trade was inevitable after months of speculation without denial he was being shopped. It was always a matter of reaching the deadline; draft day

*The trade down rumors were always overblown after we knew the players were blanketed in ability. Then we spent the final two weeks desperately hoping some other team would ignore that and donate in our direction

* You don't bring in an all-powerful personnel-oriented coach and then keep the panic mode, in-over-his-head former GM long term, insuring an awkward situation. If the organization (owner) didn't like Speilman personally he would have been dumped as soon as Saban took over. Since the opposite was true, they let him stick around for one more offseason and draft. He will quietly resign to take a position with another team before the season begins

Jnaledu3 said:
Very young? He must be pushing 50 about now.

Hes not a good talent guy. He sucks. He overpays for injury-prone problematic players.

It would not surprise me if he is Wannys lapdog again in Pitt next year.

i think he may have been referring to the TB guy??

I have come to the conclusion that little people on this board knows the meaning of the word panic

This Rumor is Gaining Momentum

The Washington Post is now reporting the same thing which is adding momentum to this rumor:

"The Miami Dolphins reportedly interviewed Ruston Webster, the Buccaneers' director of college scouting, for a front-office job.

Dolphins Coach Nick Saban was given the final say over all the club's football-related decisions when he was hired in December. It seemed likely that General Manager Rick Spielman would be fired or reassigned, but Saban put off a decision on that until after the draft.

Webster reportedly interviewed for the position of director of player personnel with the Dolphins. It's not clear whether Spielman would be dismissed if Webster or someone else is hired as personnel director. . . ."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/blog/2005/05/09/BL2005050900458_2.html

Big mistake for this organization to get rid of Speilman, he's a good talent evaluator, and the only thing I can see here, is Saban is scared to share credit for good drafts, which I think Speilman would ensure us.

The job is only half done in getting rid of Wanny.....Rick has to go too.

Roman529 said:
The job is only half done in getting rid of Wanny.....Rick has to go too.

Why and be specific, and it better hold water... :evil:

camanda said:
Keep Spielman as GM in title only, have Saban make the decisions and teach Rick how to do the job correctly (and not get schooled during the draft by Belichick), use his input on player evaluation and life goes on.

Firing Spielman now would just add to the turmoil the team has been going through since last year. It's over, finally. No gain for the team to replace him now, especially with the rumor of adding Webster from Tampa. Someone show me how that guy has made drastic improvements in the Bucs situation.

Trading up for Carey was an error, but not a crushing blow at the time. Who could have forseen the mess that followed with Ricky, Boston, Ogunleye and all the injuries? Feeley has a chance, Gordon and Booker were good additions at a time when the season was unraveling. Both guys can still play a role as this thing gets turned around.

As a first year GM Spielman got dealt a horrible hand. I believe he did well, and am prepared for the backlash I'm sure I'll get for actually typing those words. I truly believe that firing/demoting Spielman at this point serves no good purpose. Saban runs the show anyway.

Spielman got dealt a horrible hand?? So the solution is make the situation even WORSE for the future?? Please..spielman and the letters GM should never be mentioned in the same sentence EVER AGAIN!

Smithboy said:
Rick Spielman set this rebuilding process back a good year by last year's panic fest.

Thank God he's no longer in any type of authority.

I just don't get it...panic fest...lets see, we had no starting caliber RB on July 29th just when TC began. So, he trades for a decent RB. Keep in mind that the coach at that time was on the hot seat and his job (ultimately was) decided on that season. We go thru TC and none of the backs on the roster show anything. The pick he used to trade he got in the Ogun trade so it's not like we lost the pick this year (afterall we still have Gordon). I suppose it was RS fault that the guy got hurt 2 weeks after we acquired him ??

I am not a particular RS fan, but he didn't destroy the Fins last year or trade away our future as you all intimate...he did what he had to do to get thru the season. You say that he panicked and traded up for Carey...but who among us was there in the room ?? Carey himself said that he was on the phone with the Vikes when the Fins called him to tell him he as being drafted. He was the 2nd rated OL on the board and the 1st guy was already gone ?? How is that panic ?? I can't tell whether he was hoodwinked by Minny either and it doesn't really matter...we needed an OL and Carey was the best available player...

There were a lot of things wrong with the Fins that culminated in last year's debacle. Speilman was a part of that, no doubt. But realistically wasn't he trying to fix what was broken by Wanny in the 3 previous years ??

At any rate, even if RS stays on with the Fins, his influence for personnel moves is basically gone...He is and has been a good scouting coordinator. If he stays on it'll be because Saban thinks highly of him. Afterall, he did have input in the 2005 draft and we all seem to think it's pretty good ?? Yea, he didn't call the shot, but he helped set up the play...

Back
Top Bottom