MERGED: Speilman on Thin Ice? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Speilman on Thin Ice?

"Spielman on Thin Ice?"

I can't believe they actually put a question mark at the end of that statement.

"Keep in mind that the coach at that time was on the hot seat and his job (ultimately was) decided on that season."

That's part of the problem I have with how Rick handled last year. He was given ultimate authority over the club, and that includes it's future. Just because you inheret a head coach who desperately needs to win in order to save his job doesn't mean you need to start burning draft picks like they're monopoly money. Imagine how much better the situation would've been if we'd had the 2nd overall pick in every round this year.

Obviously, last year was historic in terms of how much went wrong, and from every angle, so I can't dump 100% of the blame on him. What I can blame him for is his knee-jerk reaction to the events of '04. As lord over all personnel matters, you need to exhibit self control, patience and longterm vision. It became pretty apparent that the Fins had suffered too much damage that couldn't be fixed in one year early on, so he should've hung tight for the most part.

In terms of pure scouting ability, he was a definite upgrade over Wannstedt.

I did like the L. Gordon trade. Think he'll be productive for us in the future, and that move actually made some sense.

Overall, I like the current philosophy much better. Build through the draft, be patient, be balanced and don't tie up too many cap dollars to one side of the ball.

Rick should accept his demotion and take notes, or move on.

Back
Top Bottom