Merged: Surtain for Feeley/Feeley Trade | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Surtain for Feeley/Feeley Trade

I dont get it. If we didnt trade him and he signs with another team next year, the same people would cry because we didnt get anything for him. Give me a break! :shakeno: :shakeno:

KB21 said:
Miami has a nasty habit of undervaluing their own players and basically giving them away in trades. They did it with Ogunleye, and now they have done it again with Surtain.
What did O-gun do for the bears last year? I think Booker contributed more to us, don't you?

Stefins said:
Bottom Line is....

We traded Surtain for AJ feeley.

In the spirit of attacking the post and not the poster, this is the most ridiculous post I've ever seen.

We overpaid for AJ Feeley and got pretty decent value for Surtain (sorry, KB). The two deals should in no way be linked.

You might as well say we traded Dan Marino for Sage Rosenfels.

KB21 said:
Miami has a nasty habit of undervaluing their own players and basically giving them away in trades. They did it with Ogunleye, and now they have done it again with Surtain.
Both deals involved the other team's paying a HUGE signing bonus with plenty of guaranteed money, though. You don't get a team to do that AND give up a mega draft pick. We were lucky to get the #2 -- next year we would've gotten nothing. Why do you think there weren't more teams jockeying for Surtain? Why didn't some other team hear about this deal and say, "hey wait! -- we'll give you a #1!"

Part of it is that the former regime (DW) put us in a cap position in which we had to undervalue a player.

Marino Forever said:
What did O-gun do for the bears last year? I think Booker contributed more to us, don't you?

I don't think Booker contributed as much as Ogunleye would have. We still haven't replaced his 15 sacks.

shouright said:
Both deals involved the other team's paying a HUGE signing bonus with plenty of guaranteed money, though. You don't get a team to do that AND give up a mega draft pick. We were lucky to get the #2 -- next year we would've gotten nothing. Why do you think there weren't more teams jockeying for Surtain? Why didn't some other team hear about this deal and say, "hey wait! -- we'll give you a #1!"

Someone please explain to me how it remotely makes sense that Miami is lucky to get a #2 pick for Patrick Surtain, a top 5 NFL cornerback, when Oakland gets a #2 and a #3 for a nickle back in Philip Buchanon?

A top 5 STARTING cornerback in the NFL vs a NICKLE back?

KB21 said:

No, the problem is that our players are NOT as talented as all of our aqua-glasses-wearing fans think. The other teams know what our talent level is... and laugh at us. Not to mention virtually anyone with any NFL knowledge outside of South Florida.

We draft cheap and look for "cap" bargains and have been doing that for 10 years now. That's how you get to be 4-12.

We NEED impact offensive STARS and you got to PAY to get them. Everyone keeps screaming Trade Down, Trade Down, so we can blow our draft again just like wannabe would.

so now that we got a 2nd rounder, are we unlikely to trade down?

KB21 said:
Someone please explain to me how it remotely makes sense that Miami is lucky to get a #2 pick for Patrick Surtain, a top 5 NFL cornerback, when Oakland gets a #2 and a #3 for a nickle back in Philip Buchanon?

A couple of things were working against Miami....Pat isn't "old" yet but he'll be there in NFL years soon, & his contract length/demands nearlt forced Miami's hand.

Another factor in this is the Texans....it looks like they are more than willing to overpay for mediocre talent (see Morlon Greenwood).:D

KB21 said:

I'll let Jason Cole explain it -- I don't have time to pull up the link but this is from his Herald Q & A Forum:

The reason Buchanon is more appealing for Houston is that he's still on his rookie contract. He makes $700K this year and $800K next year. Surtain is going to get a $14 million signing bonus from KC if he goes there. That's why there is so little interest in Surtain. It's hard for teams to not only give up the pick, but also the money. It's a huge risk. Beyond that, the Dolphins are in a tough cap situation. They are only $1.1 million under the cap and will need to clear about $3 million more just to sign their draft picks. If they can't deal Surtain, that means they are either going to have to cut some solid players (David Bowens, etc.) or guarantee money to Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas, which only adds to future cap woes. On top of that, they will lose Surtain without compensation after this season (forget about franchising him after this year, no matter what Saban says). So a straight comparison of the Buchanon deal to a potential Surtain deal fails to factor in everything. In short, if the Dolphins can get a second rounder, it's a fair deal all the way around.

Marino Forever said:
But did he get 15 sacks for da Bears? No way. Why- JT wasn't lined up on the other side.

Did David Bowens get 15 sacks? No. Why not? Didn't he have Jason Taylor on the other side as well?

Oh, BTW. Just as I told you before the season. Jason Taylor had another season where he did not get double digit sacks without having an end on the other side getting double digit sacks. Jason Taylor benefitted from Adewale Ogunleye just as much as Ogunleye benefitted from Jason Taylor.

David Bowens simply isn't that good. He couldn't keep teams from double teaming Jason Taylor like Ogunleye did, and he couldnt' take advantage of the one on one match ups that presented themselves like Ogunleye did. Of course, over the last 8 games of the 2003 season, Ogunleye was drawing the double teams.

But we gave him away for a friggin wide receiver and a third round pick.

KB21 said:
But we gave him away for a friggin wide receiver and a third round pick.
We gave him AND his outrageous Drew Rosenhaus-driven contract demands away.

Back
Top Bottom