Merged: The truth on Rivers, all subjects covered/Philip River haters | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: The truth on Rivers, all subjects covered/Philip River haters

Jaj

What you say?
Reaction score
The truth on Rivers, all subjects covered

This is pretty much the best I can sum up on Rivers, my first and last post about him.

Let's review.

Size- no problem there.

Maturity- ya he's got it.

Character- I guess ya.

Mobility- He isn't that mobile, but he is not really a stiff either. He's got enough to be succesful.

The release motion- If he were 6-2 this would be a problem. At 6-5? It's not much.

Footwork- This is something that needs to change. He throws off the wrong foot alot. Can be fixed. Might even add to a bit more velocity on the ball.

Release- Pretty good, but no not Dan Marino fast, please.

Setup- This is a bit slow, but can improve as well. His footwork as a whole needs work.

Arm strength the big one- This I am going to give as best I can. It's stronger than Pennington, Gannon, Fiedler, and Griese with his bum shoulder and all. But no it isn't very good. Is it enough. Yes I believe it is.

Accuracy- Great short to mid. Deep it ain't that great. Yes I know he got that one to Devery, but he missed two others. This can improve. It really can.

The way I see Rivers is a late 1st rounder, and deservedly so. I believe his arm can improve a bit more and he can be succesful. Do I think he is as good as Henson? No, I like Henson more. Henson I see in a couple of years as I guy that can make a team better by himself. Rivers in a year is as a guy that if you give him two good WRs, a TE, a FB and a good line he will succeed.

Good analysis...I'm surprised nobody has added anything on this yet, being that most of you were creaming your pants over him after the senior bowl

I hope it helps, been some ridiculous posts declaring Rivers should be drafted higher than Eli.

Originally posted by CirclingWagons
Good analysis...I'm surprised nobody has added anything on this yet, being that most of you were creaming your pants over him after the senior bowl

Yeah, and many also "pretend" that they've watched Rivers all year, when they've only seen him in the bowl game, and in the senior bowl. ;)

Originally posted by ChambersOwnz84

Yeah, and many also "pretend" that they've watched Rivers all year, when they've only seen him in the bowl game, and in the senior bowl. ;)
:lol: ..so true

You focused on his physical and character attributes. But you left out things like vision, ability to read a defense, decision-making, football intelligence, leadership, etc. Things that make or break a great QB. All of which Rivers was blessed with.

I think he'll be a super player. And I hope he's wearing aqua when he gives it a shot.

Originally posted by Muck
You focused on his physical and character attributes. But you left out things like vision, ability to read a defense, decision-making, football intelligence, leadership, etc. Things that make or break a great QB. All of which Rivers was blessed with.

I think he'll be a super player. And I hope he's wearing aqua when he gives it a shot.
I agree Muck. He didn't put Rivers down but didn't give him enough credit for those things you mention. I really hope that all this talk won't be academic by us passing on him if he's there. I'm looking forward to us having a 1st round pick for a change and using that pick on the right player.One that doesn't come around too often imo.

Ozzy rules!!

These posts are very interesting, yes I did probably see Rivers more that most since I live up here in ACC country. Do I have high regard for him, "Yes" I do, from both what I have seen of him and what I have read about him. Am I biased because I am an NC State fan, "No". I am an FSU fan and also follow Virginia, both rivals of NCState. He has been smart, consistant, and durable and has played for 4 years breaking most ACC passing records.
I think he is going to be great by what he has accomplished and yes that is speculation. But not anymore speculation than seeing someone say they think Henson is going to be great or in a couple of years as a guy that can make a team better by himself, since Henson only started 9 games in college finishing his college career with 2,946 total yards when Rivers had 13,484 total yards at NC State.
Am I foolish enough to think Rivers is better than Manning or Roethlisberger, "No", But I don't think they will be available to Miami either, but we might be lucky enough to get someone the caliber of Phillip Rivers.

Accuracy I consider with all those other cateogires you mention.

a lot of scouts say Rivers isn't mobile enough... well either was Dan Marino, and currently Tom Brady. all 3 work the pocket GREAT.

Originally posted by Fisticuff
a lot of scouts say Rivers isn't mobile enough... well either was Dan Marino, and currently Tom Brady. all 3 work the pocket GREAT.

There has to be a pocket to work, he would have been killed in our "pocket" last season - this has to be fixed.

I will say it is probably different in the NFL but Griese got killed in the pocket this but he would wait there tell someone to knock the ball out of his hand. Rivers moves around a little more did anybody remember the td pass at the Senior Bowl were he was being rushed a little he ran up an threw a touch pass for a td. He is smart bad as I hate to say it he is alot like Brady he stick with the game plan. At the Senior Bowl as soon as he recieved the ball he knew were to throw it. Brady does that alot he throws the ball right to the spot.

I am a full pledge Rivers fan an I will take up for him on what ever everybody says bad about him. I seen him an for people to talk crap about like he done nothing makes me iretated.

I just base my post on the thread titles.:)

I like to talk about qb things I know more about that than I do about offensive line I will admit that.

How about this I hope we get Issac Bruce or Peter Warrick with Mark Brunell.:D

HAHAHAHAHA. Its all good bro. :)

I'm not sure who I'd wanna see come in at WR, but I think Brunell's definately a promising situation. Haven't given a real good look at the WR stuff yet. I didn't watch a whole heckuva lot of football last year 'cuz I had some other stuff going on so I really can't say what I think of the WRs. I don't like just relying on stats...I'd rather see 'em play. ChambersOwnz84 seems to be one of the FH experts on WRs.

Back
Top Bottom