Merged: The truth on Rivers, all subjects covered/Philip River haters | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: The truth on Rivers, all subjects covered/Philip River haters

I know one thing if we get Brunell Peter Warrick or proven good Issac Bruce on one side and CC on the other there will be some scoring in dolphins land. I don't believe Brunell will have a problem getting the ball to them. Unless Wanny wants to play conservative all year which I would'nt doubt.

Originally posted by ChambersOwnz84

Yeah, and many also "pretend" that they've watched Rivers all year, when they've only seen him in the bowl game, and in the senior bowl. ;)

And you would know this HOW? You really sound like a ___ sometimes!!

One thing the Super Bowl highlighted for me is how bad our QB play has been the past 4 years. Say what you want about the Pats finding Brady in the 6th round and the Panthers grabbing Delhomme out of obscurity in New Orleans but the QB play in the Super Bowl was superb. It just highlights for me how much we need a good QB if we want this franchise to take the next step. A lot of people make the mistake I feel of seeing the humble backgrounds of guys like Brady and Delhomme and taking that as evidence that we shouldn't get in the business of drafting QBs high but a good QB is a good QB. When you have a chance to get a guy who does everything right like Phil Rivers does, you gotta take it.

Just because Brady and Delhomme are not high pedigree it doesn't mean they aren't, and weren't good QBs. These guys have extensive histories of playing well, and what you have to realize is that 32 teams were just plain flat out WRONG about them. If teams had recognized the signs correctly Brady would have been a first rounder bottom line. Cuz he was a 6th rounder people want to say that they surrounded him with talent and are lettin him shine. No. He's just flat out good. By the time he's done, he may be considered one of the best ever. Bank on it.

It reminds me how many people on this board use to come on here and completely dis Brady sayin he's not very good blah blah blah, he got lucky in that one super bowl blah blah blah, I'd take Fiedler over Brady LMFAO@SHEERSTUPIDITY!

Talent scouting in the NFL is a flawed process. But just because so many people missed on guys like Brady and Delhomme, doesn't mean they ALWAYS miss. Most of the time guys last until the final rounds for a good reason. Heck lots of people are still hating on Phil Rivers, but he's still gonna go in the first round and be a damn good QB. He's a 4 year starter and if you surround him with the right people he can elevate this team and do the same things he did at NC State right here.

ill give you brady, since he didnt have a chance til bledsoe got hurt, but delhomme has had several chances to start and never put it together. even this year he came in as a backup yet again. I think he just finally put it together this year, im not sure he had it all along.

The thing that was impressive about the QBs in the SB was the clutch play. That has been Brady's strong suit in both college and the pros. My understanding is that was the reason Brady beat out Henson, despite Henson's greater skills. There are QBs in the NFL with better physical skills, but I don't think there is one that has been more clutch. That's why I get upset when people go on about arm strength or "being able to make all the throws". That's not what matters. What matters is when you need the play can your QB make the play. That's what I see in Rivers. He has a history of making the play. I hope that he can become as good or better than Brady. It's also what worries me about Henson (a guy I haven't seen play). That while he may be a better passer, he will always be the guy that wasn't as good a QB as Brady.

When did brady beat out henson? I thought henson only played one year at michigan then took the money from the yankees. My good friend is a Michigan fan and depises the yankees for that reason. I asked him about henson this weekend and he said "I'm convinced that michigan would have won the national title if henson came back. Just another reason why i hate the F'in yankees"

Originally posted by Jaj
I hope it helps, been some ridiculous posts declaring Rivers should be drafted higher than Eli.

I'd prefer Rivers over Henson since Henson's obvious first choice was not football.
Anyway, other than raw blazing speed, overall arm strength is the only thing and it's still not tHAT bad. It makes you wonder just what measuring stick is used to judge arm strength anyway. I would venture to guess that it must be just how far you can flat out heave a ball. if so, then that alone wouldn't have anything to do with accuracy, which i'd much rather have first. Doesn't do anyone any good to have a cannon but can not aim it.
But with proper coaching, the footwork and other stuff can be changed/learned. i feel that we stand a good chance at him at
#20.

Originally posted by Dolphins17-0
When did brady beat out henson? I thought henson only played one year at michigan then took the money from the yankees. My good friend is a Michigan fan and depises the yankees for that reason. I asked him about henson this weekend and he said "I'm convinced that michigan would have won the national title if henson came back. Just another reason why i hate the F'in yankees"

Well, I'm going on hearsay b/c as I said I didn't watch him play but here is something I read on another board. (I haven't verified the facts, but the poster sounds credible):

"You're also wrong regarding Brady's career and it's comparison to Henson's. Brady wasn't a 4 year starter. He was redshirted in 95 and spent 96 as the No.3 behind Scott Dreisbach who beat out Griese. He also played 3rd string in '97, Griese was the starter, and his year ended early due to an emergency appendectomy. He beat out both Henson and Dreisbach in 98 finishing with 2,636 yards and 15 TD's. Only Jim Harbaugh had thrown for more yardage for Michigan up until that point. In '99 he and Henson split time until Brady seperated himself from Henson in that years game against Notre Dame. In the first quarter of the Notre Dame game, Brady spearheaded a pair of drives that resulted in Michigan field goals. In the second quarter, Henson led the team to a third field goal. Notre Dame, however, was scoring touchdowns against the Wolverine defense. At halftime of that game Lloyd Carr decided to pick one player and go with him the rest of the way. He chose Brady, who erased a 14-point deficit and led the team to a stirring 26-22 win with a late touchdown. He finished the day 17 of 24 for 197 yards.

Brady was still sharing the job with Henson for the next 2 games though Brady continued to establish himself as the team’s true starter. He threw for 250 yards and two touchdowns against Purdue, then lit up Michigan State with 285 yards and two more scores. Against Illinois, he amassed 307 yards in another two-touchdown performance, which finally convinced Carr to end his rotating quarterback system. With Brady the starter Michigan closed out the regular season with four straight wins and an Orange Bowl bid.

Brady ended his Michigan career with a flourish in Miami, completing 34 of 46 attempts for 369 yards and four touchdowns against Alabama. His final pass as a collegian, a 25-yarder to Shawn Thompson, won the game for the Wolverines in overtime, 35-34. The final numbers on his senior year were 2,586 yards passing, 20 touchdowns, and just six interceptions. How does this make Henson a better QB in college?

hahah, yea really most of the people here are begging for us to get rivers, the rest are undecided on who they want. I dont think ive seen anyone come out and say no way should we consider rivers.

Well Delhomme was in New Orleans, he's a New Orleans native and thats the only team he ever wanted to play for but they have Aaron Brooks, who is flat out better than Delhomme. You gotta respect wantin to play for your home team I mean if any of us huge Dolfans became players with a shot at playin wouldn't you wanna be a Dolphin for as long as you could? Anyway...

Brady played for Michigan before Henson started. Henson was his backup in 98 and again in 99 though he curiously racked up 500 some odd yards passing in 99 even though he was just a backup. In 2000 Brady was drafted by the Patriots in the 6th round, then Henson went on to play 9 games, start in 8 of them, and complete 62% with 2,146 yards (a 9.0 yard per attempt) and 18 TD passes, 4 interceptions, with two rushing TDs.

He had great games against Auburn and Ohio State, had a bad game against Penn State....a great day against Northwestern.

Here's somethin, take this however you will but he played with at least 3 guys who are currently in the NFL. His go-to receiver that he ALWAYS looked for was David Terrell. His RB was Anthony Thomas, and his FB was a guy the Jets drafted I think in the 3rd round or somethin BJ Askew.

Lookin at the game highlights for each of Henson's games most of his greatest moments involved one of those three players. The funny thing is that David Terrell was drafted ultra high as a result of what he did on the field with Drew Henson but has never lived up to expectations, A-Train has had an up and down career as well and BJ Askew? Heck I don't remember ever hearin about him on the Jets.

Was it Drew Henson makin these guys look good? Especially David Terrell. Maybe.

Other notes: He runs a 4.7 in the 40 which is about what Losman runs. He benches 320 pounds. Has a 31 inch vertical. Played defensive back, punter, and quarterback in high school...along with baseball. People talk about how Rivers has been around football all his life well so has Henson, whose father was an offensive coordinator at Eastern Michigan.

And the thing about making clutch plays vs the armstrength and physical stuff is that in the NFL making clutch plays is nice, but if your physical stature isn't up to scratch then you're team isn't even going to be in position to make those clutch plays when you need them. If a guy can make a clutch play for you in the 2 minute drill thats all fine and good but how is that going to help when during the game his lack of armstrength causes CBs to sit on the short routes putting them in position to intercept the ball, while the other coach is sending safety blitzes because he knows the guy doesn't have the armstrength to beat them with a deep pass consistently. It doesn't work well to be a master 2 minute drill QB when during your 2 minute drill in the 4th quarter, you're down by 21 points.

When i saw rivers play against a talented Defense in Ohio State he didnt seem to play so well. And i know the D's in the NFL are alot better then the Buckeyes

Thanks for the research rafael that puts a lot of perspective on what I'm reading of Henson's stats.

Thing is, Henson went on the next year in 2000 and in only 8 starts nearly duplicated Brady's passing stats.

Rivers played the top college teams and tore them apart. He dominated the North defense in the Senior bowl and against teams such as FSU he kicked their ***. Im a fsu fan and I hated when we had to play Rivers, he kicked our *** every time. I would be MORE than happy to draft Rivers.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Thanks for the research rafael that puts a lot of perspective on what I'm reading of Henson's stats.

Thing is, Henson went on the next year in 2000 and in only 8 starts nearly duplicated Brady's passing stats.

No problem, but realize that wasn't my research, just a repost of someone else's stuff.

Regarding the clutch plays and physical ability, I agree you need a base amount of ability. IMO both Brady and Rivers have enough. I base this on my own observations, but also I've only read one report that questions Rivers' physical ability to be a starter while I've read several that opine that his arm strength is at least good enough. When it is only one questioning voice it seems likely that this person either has a personal agenda or is just so hung up on the mechanics that he can't see what is being produced. (By the way when I say produced I mean that passes themselves (velocity, accuracy, trajectory, etc.) not yards or TDs.

Back
Top Bottom