Merged: Universal Draft Hits the Sun Sentinel | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Universal Draft Hits the Sun Sentinel

I'm not demanding that these guys be 3-4 DEs in terms of power at the POA but I would like to see a punch knock someone backward a little, and I'd like to see active hands helping to shed blocks.

Thanks Bob. I'm not trying to say that by moving Merling to SOLB it's the cure all. What I'm saying is that you're going to put a player who many of us thought would be an OLB in a 3-4 anyway, in a position where he might excel. I thought when at Clemson that in the 267 to 272 area he was very explosive, very sudden, changed diretion well and stacked up against the run. At times in his final year he was a beast. I think he was first round value that dropped because of injury. He's more athletic than Matt Roth and if you can get him rotated, especially when we run some 5-2, I think he could do a job there.

absolutely. merling's strength lies in his lower body - unlike langford who plays real stiff and relies on his upper body strength to throw people around - which is perfectly fine for an end. merling moves very well and knows how to use his hips for lateral direction - i've been wondering why they haven't done this sooner given our depth at end and lack thereof at OLB - think its about that time.

I am very excited about pick #43. I see the following players having 1st Round grades which could equate to some serious talent being in play at #43

Jimmy Clausen, Sam Bradford, CJ Spiller, Jahvid Best, Jermaine Gresham, Dez Bryant, Arrelious Benn, Golden Tate, Damian Williams, Mardy Gilyard, Mike Iupati, Russell Okung, Bryan Bulaga, Bruce Campbell, Trent Williams Charles Brown, Anthony Davis, Joe Haden, Taylor Mays, Eric Berry, Earl Thomas, Morgan Burnett, Rolando McClain, Brandon Spikes, Sean Weatherspoon, Sergio Kindle, Jerry Hughes, Jason Paul Pierre, Jared Odrick, Ndamukong Suh, Gerald McCoy, Dan Williams, Greg Hardy, Brandon Graham, Carlos Dunlap, Brian Price, Everson Griffen, Arthur Jones,

Thanks guys.

Just a couple of points I'd like to pick up on; first of all unless he kilks someone, there's no way Jerry Hughes falls to round 2. As for Pierre-Paul, I spoke to one scout who said that 2 GM's with teams in the playoffs would take JPP in the top 5. There is more than enough game tape, practice tape, JUCO tape as well as scout visits throughout the season. Don't forget, it's not like JPP came from nowhere. He was highly recruited, he was a JUCO AA and turned down Miami, Florida and FSU. He's a better rush threat than Sergio Kindle, is much better in space, has far better COD skills and is a better athlete. He's a rare specimen. I wouldn't say it was an Al Davis move on any level.

I am sorry Boomer and that's only MO... but there is no way JPP is a top 5 pick or even a top 20 pick.. I think it's a huge mistake taking him that high.

I watched 2 USF games and he did not look explosive to me of the edge, he is strong against the run but not much rushing the passer, maybe he played better in other games.

Really reminds me of Jamal Anderson from Arkansas.. I think Derek Morgan is a much better prospect that JPP and the best DE in the draft... JMO

An interesting comment from DraftDaddy:

Ole Miss OT #77 John Jerry received tons of attention from the Dolphins coaching staff. His appeal to power-running teams is apparent.

dexter mccluster is killing it in 1 on 1's...wow

taylor mays not so much...

How many players do I see with bonafied first round talent? You didn't ask but I suppose I'll tell. Just a warning, this is somewhat of a pessimistic view.

QB: Jimmy Clausen, Sam Bradford
WR: Dez Bryant
TE: --
RB: C.J. Spiller, Ryan Matthews
FB: --
OT: Russell Okung, Trent Williams, Bruce Campbell
OG: Mike Iupati
OC: --
DT: Ndamukong Suh, Gerald McCoy, Jared Odrick, Dan Williams
DE: Derrick Morgan, Everson Griffen, Jason Pierre-Paul, Corey Wootton, Brandon Graham, Jason Worilds
LB: Rolando McClain, Brandon Spikes, Jerry Hughes, Sergio Kindle, Sean Weatherspoon
CB: Joe Haden, Amari Spievey
DS: Eric Berry
DB: Earl Thomas

That last bit is because I'm not fool enough to keep Earl out of the first round but at the same time I've not been a huge buyer of his. I tend to think that when a guy that small tries to play safety at the next level, you HAVE to be extraordinarily physical despite your stature, a la Bob Sanders. It's not that you look at 5'10" on a piece of paper and think it's so much different from other guys like Ed Reed who are not that big. It's the look on the field. Earl has always looked small to me on the field. I don't think you can be that small on the field and be a strict cover guy unless you move to corner, and I think that could be in his future especially with his speed and how he played virtually a CB position at Texas on a lot of downs.

I realize there are only 28 guys there right now. I think the rest of the players are somewhat on the cusp for me.

Ratliff\Odrick at #12 - we can get better value and trade up later and get this guy if need be

i just saw sparano patting mccluster on the back and talking with anthony dixon in a way that makes me think they'll both be high on our board...

of course it's pure speculation on my part...but dixon i'd love to see in a phins uni and mccluster is really something else in the acceleration and quickness dept...and he runs pretty darn good routes for a rb

How many players do I see with bonafied first round talent? You didn't ask but I suppose I'll tell. Just a warning, this is somewhat of a pessimistic view.

QB: Jimmy Clausen, Sam Bradford
WR: Dez Bryant
TE: --
RB: C.J. Spiller, Ryan Matthews
FB: --
OT: Russell Okung, Trent Williams, Bruce Campbell
OG: Mike Iupati
OC: --
DT: Ndamukong Suh, Gerald McCoy, Jared Odrick, Dan Williams
DE: Derrick Morgan, Everson Griffen, Jason Pierre-Paul, Corey Wootton, Brandon Graham, Jason Worilds
LB: Rolando McClain, Brandon Spikes, Jerry Hughes, Sergio Kindle, Sean Weatherspoon
CB: Joe Haden, Amari Spievey
DS: Eric Berry
DB: Earl Thomas

That last bit is because I'm not fool enough to keep Earl out of the first round but at the same time I've not been a huge buyer of his. I tend to think that when a guy that small tries to play safety at the next level, you HAVE to be extraordinarily physical despite your stature, a la Bob Sanders. It's not that you look at 5'10" on a piece of paper and think it's so much different from other guys like Ed Reed who are not that big. It's the look on the field. Earl has always looked small to me on the field. I don't think you can be that small on the field and be a strict cover guy unless you move to corner, and I think that could be in his future especially with his speed and how he played virtually a CB position at Texas on a lot of downs.

I realize there are only 28 guys there right now. I think the rest of the players are somewhat on the cusp for me.

I agree with this 100%. Ryan Matthews is a beast, I really really like him.

I think Rashawn Jackson out of UVA will be a great hybrid FB/RB.

And I agree with the Thomas comment. I said it earlier on in the year, Thomas is a little too small for me to be a full-time starter at FS. Especially with this regime, that won't bode well for him. Take a look at our Safetys right now. Gibril Wilson and Yeremiah Bell dont exactly shy away from contact. Tyrone Culver loves contact as well. Chris Clemons has Speed and Loves contact. Earl Thomas has excellent cover skills, but stature and physicality leave alot to be desired. He is physical, but its moreso how that will translate to the NFL game. He reminds me of Jason Allen in the sense he will become a tweener. FS right now, but a CB in the future.

as always good stuff. Finally glad somebody else sees Jay Ratliff in Odrick.

Everyone seems to forget that Ratliff was drafted with the idea that he was going to play DE in the 3-4. In fact he was moved to NT as an emergency replacement for Ferguson when he was with Dallas. Dallas actually moved him back to DE once they found what they thought was a suitable replacement. Trying to use a high draft pick on someone that is going to try to dulicate a very unique/unusual talent like Ratliff is the way that busts happen. The downside is that if he cannot play NT which the odds would suggest that he cannot then you have a player who would probably be a back-up to two pretty good DE's one of which is a marginal pro bowler. The fact that no other NT in the league is that size speaks volumes and to use the 12th pick is the way GM's get fired. If you use a third or fourth round pick on a guy like Mike Neal who has a similar skill set and is of similar size to Odrick then it might make some sense but to use the 12th pick, I dont see it. At least with a guy like Spiller if he is not the second coming of Chris Johnson then you at least have Reggie Bush which fills a need as well.

Back
Top Bottom