MERGED: Wednesday 08/04/04 Morning - TWO REPORTS | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Wednesday 08/04/04 Morning - TWO REPORTS

Finsflurry

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Wednesday 08/04/04 TC Report-Morning Session

Disclaimer: I got there late, left early, and couldn't see well. If I mess up anything, too bad.

Wooden, Surtain, Madison, McIntosh, Thomas, and Timbo were all held out of practice, and I don't think I saw Bell either. Mare made all his field goals to start off the drills, then they switched to punt coverage and downing the ball. Simmons, Russell, and Wilkins were back fielding the punts, Simmons and Wilkins looking very smooth doing so....Bua and Akins were the two main fliers that I saw.

I tried to pay attention to the o-line today, it's still hard cause they're on the far side of the field and I don' have binoculars, so if I screw up any numbers I apologize. I was impressed with Dan Goodspeed to some extent, mainly due to his size and wingspan. He's the tallest of all our o-lineman and has the greatest wingspan, but at 6-6 315 he really needs to add some solid muscle. He got pushed aside by the first teamers pretty easily, and his footspeed is nothing to write home about. That being said, I still think he can make this roster as a backup, if not the 53 man squad then definitely the PS. Vernon Carey is getting better with time, he's looking much more comfortable out there. IMO he already run-blocks and pass-blocks better than St. Clair, there is no reason he shouldn't be starting besides lack of game experience. I think he'll be twice as good as Smith was last year. Tony Pape is also huge, but I see him as much more a long-term project than even Goodspeed...Pape needs alot of work on his strength, agility, and especially conditioning. Rex Hadnot, while not being that athletic or large, has a pretty nasty mean streak. He gets upset very easily, which I love in an olineman. Very feisty.

Scrimmage

Minor 4 yd gain (Greenwood,Seau)
Jay to Konrad short (Greenwood)
Jay under pressure inc to Minor bad throw
Jay inc overthrown to Thompson
Jay over the middle to Chambers
Morris 8 yds, nice block by Carey
AJ to Tolver quick cut route
Sammy Morris 3 yds (Bua)
AJ to McMichael, inc over the middle
False start
Morris 7 yds (Pope, Poole)
Works no gain (Romero, Greenwood)
AJ to Konrad short (Moore, Greenwood)
AJ scrambles to avoid pressure

Red Zone Drill

AJ short to Minor
AJ to CC on the out pushed out by Roundtree
Jay inc to Thompson
Jay inc to McMichael
AJ inc to McMichael on deep seam
Jay short to Thompson
Jay short to Tolver
Jay inc to Wilkins
AJ gorgeous throw and catch to CC for the TD
AJ swing pass to works
AJ short to Tolver who takes it to the house
Jay slant to Thompson
Jay to CC for the TD, nice throw
Jay to Newson, nice RAC TD
Jay to Russell, stripped by Bua nice play
Jay to Thompson TD

Scrimmage 2

Minor 3 yds
Jay short to Minor turns it up the field
Minor 2 yds
Jay quick out to Newson
Jay to Simmons over the middle
Sammy Morris another great run
AJ short to Morris, slow to get up but he's fine
AJ slant to Newson
Works 3 yd gain
Sage nice seam route to Jones
Minor 4 yds
Sage wide to McMike inc
Minor 6 yds
Russell gets smacked by Jenkins, big hit

The qb's were roughly equal today, I thought AJ did well in the early drill then Jay really stepped it up in the Red Zone Drill. He also did very well yesterday afternoon in the same drill... Can't really give an edge to one today.

3 Stars

Morlon Greenwood:
Very active on defense, a couple of nice hits and good coverage

Travis Minor/Sammy Morris: Both had a few good runs and a nice catch or two, both looking more comfortable.

Chris Chambers:
Had a series of nice grabs, especially in the red zone drill.

Highlight: CC's two catches during the red zone drill

Lowlight: One play where Morris was slow to get up, scary moment, looked like he got hit in the head, but he bounced back up so WHEW!

Thanks as always Finsflurry. Glad to see Vernon is improving every day.

i know you heard this before , thanks again!! fin fan stuck n {pasadena}socal:)

Thanks

Just have to say Flurry, you're reports are much appreciated!!

NJ DOLFAN

THank you, man....Every morning I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in TC. I was just about to write and ask about today's TC.

In your scrimmage 2 write up I saw that Leonard Henry carried the ball today. From this can we assume his strained quadriceps injury yesterday was not a big deal? Did he look like he was favoring it?
Also, from everything I've heard and read (including your comments above) about Rex Hadnot it sounds like the guy might be the road grading type of mauler Miami is always looking for at the guard position. Up to this point has he only lined up as the second team center or has he seen any time at guard? I would think such an increase in positional versatility would really elevate his value and nearly cement a roster spot.

PHINZ TC : "Wednesday Morning Sessions"

If the mods want to merge this, go for it....

HOT!!! :fire: NO RAIN TODAY!!! :D

The drills went well, and there was plenty of action watching the OL coach T. Wise get this OL in gear. They are working extra hard to feild a solid core, and it's showing IMO. The OL has looked better over the last few days from my perspective....

The passing drill went well, and there were only a couple of poor passes. TE R. McMike has got to start focusing harder on making the catch. He's been dropping good passes lately IMO....

AJ Feely - I think AJ looked better than Fiedler today. He's got zip, and good accuarcy. During the redzone drills, he hooked up several times with Chambers, and Newson. His ball velocity is making him a fan favorite over Fielder IMO. He gets the pass in there very quick, and maks it difficult for defenders to react. Feeley is coming along very well IMO....

J. Fiedler - I like Jay, and I can telll he's working hard to keep Feeley behind him. IMO, Jay still needs to work on his accuracy, and his arm strength when throwing outside. I see high passes, and some that don't have much on them. His overall performance was solid today, but he's still not throwing it with the kind of power Feeley has been demonstrating....

S. Rosenfels - He looks like Sage. He's got the arm, but his head isn't quite there yet. He had a decent day. Nothing special...

Overall, these QB's are looking good. They aren't lighting it up, but they are completing most of their passes. It's hard to tell who has the advantage right now, but I love watching Feeley throw. He's got great touch too, which I really like on the deep throws....

The run game looked stronger today than usual too fro what I saw. RB S. Morris is the leader right now IMO. His size, and power are pushing the hole. His speed isn't blazing, but he gets those extra yards with his determination. As for RB T. Minor, he's still looking good. He's got great hands out of the backfield, and can make people miss with his cuts. He'll be fun to watch this year. RB F. Russell continues to learn, and as smnall as he is, he's a tough little guy. He may be a sleeper this year if he can win a roster spot....

The OL did very good today IMO. They held up well against the pass rush, and they were able to run with more success today IMO. This group still needs and identity, but it's coming along well thus far. They have been busting their humps this off-season, and I hope all of the hard work pays off...

WR D. Boston hasn't been very active. He's been more of a decoy thus far in TC IMO. He's taking tons of pressure off of the other WR's, and taht's why he's not getting much thrown his way...

WR C. Chambers is looking great. If he continues, he'll be one of the best WR's in the AFC East. He's making all the catches, and doing it in traffic as well. I've got high expectations for him in 2004...

WR JR Tolver is emerging IMO. He needs more opportunity from this CS IMO. He's big, and has very good hands. I hope he gives DT a run for the #3 this pre-season...

WR D. Thompson is looking like his old self from the 2003 TC's. He's making good catches, and finding the open spot well. He needs to become a more reliable outlet this year IMO. His size alone should be enough to make him more physical in the opposing secondary....

The defense is going to be outstanding this year with or without O-Gun IMO. We've got the DL stacked, and a secondary that will shut offenses down. No worries here at all. They look very strong everywhere....

PHINZ RULE!!! :band: :rockon: :band2:

Back
Top Bottom