Merged: Why we need to keep Ogunleye/Ogunleye Thought | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Why we need to keep Ogunleye/Ogunleye Thought

Ct Fin Freak 13

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Why we need to keep Ogunleye

We need to find a way to keep Ogun one way or another. Why? well because he is the future of our defense. our defense is aging quickly with that in mind we dont have any young talent at cornerback that appears to be anygood. We have no safeties that might be any good we might have some linebackers that could be decent. Ogun is the only young player to come in and play some great ball. which is why we must find a way to keep him. I love JT but he is a 7 year vet and will not be any good once he loses a step or 2. I give him 2 more years. I dont think the injury plagued david bowens can play a whole season without injury. Ogun should only get better and when JT does lose a step we are gonna need a de. We have one now so I dont see the point in letting him go. We need to find a way to keep him no matter what. because he is the present and the future of our defense.

Re: Why we need to keep Ogunleye

I agree that we need OGun back and need to resign T buck and get Freeman back, etc.; but obviously putting 2/3 of our $$$ in our D has not worked the last 2 years and we need to reverse that trend as fast as possible right now. Having that said, I would still tender OGun at the max amt or maybe for 1st rd level and "live" with spending the 1.5 mil or so if noone bites, but we cannot sign him l-t unless we cut deep somewhere else
-- me

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32259

we gotta stop putting $$$ into our D. It hasn't worked for 4 yrs & its not gonna work now. We need to spend on our O this yr. As much as I would like for us to keep Ogun, we need the picks from him if he is tender by some other team.

too bad we can't have our cake and eat it too---I was just watching this past game against the Colts---OGUN's 2nd sack on Manning where OGUN was being blocked, but used his one free arm to send Manning to the ground--hoo wah!

but yall are the Dolphins.. yall have always been about the D :). if anything yall just need to spruce up your playbook a little. Nowadays, the Ds that are really dominating are the ones who arent so conventional.

Tag him, whatever and figure it out next year. We need the Prince, who will make up 15 sacks? Backups are good and get good pressure sometimes, but they are not every down players.

Originally posted by KATSKAN
Tag him, whatever and figure it out next year. We need the Prince, who will make up 15 sacks? Backups are good and get good pressure sometimes, but they are not every down players.

And how do you plan to afford him? We can pay 1.8 million and keep him for a single year. Then next year his AND Chambers contracts are up, one of them will become a UFA and leave and we get NOTHING. We have to take what we can get for him.

I would love to keep Ogun but the money should be use on offense and not tomention another first round pick.

For the Texans fans it is you all not yall. Just playing i know thats how you talk down in Texas but you have a very valid point. We need to keep putting $$$ in our D and just get a good coach and OC. They have always said D wins championships. Look at NE they didnt win cause their offense they won cause of good D

I originally thought that Miami needs to keep Ogunleye, but I quickly remembered that the Miami defense was still top notch when Kenny Mixon started for 2 years...so now I don't think it's imperative. Mixon is a solid DE, but no one would say he's a star.

Re: Why we need to keep Ogunleye

Originally posted by Ct Fin Freak 13
We need to find a way to keep Ogun one way or another. Why? well because he is the future of our defense. our defense is aging quickly with that in mind we dont have any young talent at cornerback that appears to be anygood. We have no safeties that might be any good we might have some linebackers that could be decent. Ogun is the only young player to come in and play some great ball. which is why we must find a way to keep him. I love JT but he is a 7 year vet and will not be any good once he loses a step or 2. I give him 2 more years. I dont think the injury plagued david bowens can play a whole season without injury. Ogun should only get better and when JT does lose a step we are gonna need a de. We have one now so I dont see the point in letting him go. We need to find a way to keep him no matter what. because he is the present and the future of our defense.

Why we need to tag O-Gun in a strategy to buy low and sell high!

1) There's no guarantee at all the O-Gun will ever see those types of numbers again. Many players for some reason have stellar years before their contracts expire. Coincidence? I think not. The Fins can take advantage of his career year by getting additonal draft picks, something the team has been lacking the past few years.

2) Even if he is going to be an All Pro DE, which I do believe he probably will, you CANNOT have it all in today's NFL.
You have to be able to leverage any areas on your team with an abundance of talent to better areas of weakness on your team.
We have a number of young promising DE's waiting in the wings, Grigsby and Williams to name two exciting potential players. You can bet on your youth to step up while getting top talent for your Offense in selling off O-Gun now. These are gambles you have to make to get a team that is solid on both sides of the ball.

3) The amount of money we save not signing O-Gun can be used where it is needed, on the offensive side of the ball.
How bout some vet O-Lineman for Ricky and we'll keep the D off the field all together.

4) an additional 1st and 3rd round pick.
Enough said!

Ogunleye Thought

Wouldn't the dolphins be foolish to tag him at anything less than a 1st and 3rd for the simple reason that if that price is too high for teams not only do they get to keep him for this season, but then they can franchise tag him next year if he repeats his performance and the price would be 2 #1 picks. I dont believe we have anyone else that we'll need to franchise next off season. just a thought. if no one bites on the 1st and 3rd then it's not a huge deal, we get ogun this year, and if we dont have the money to work out a bigger/longer deal, we just free up the money to franchise tag him next year if he repeats this performance. is that possible or am i wrong in my thinking.

I think this years RFA tender would be close to 2 mil and this years franchise tag for DEs is something like 4 mil, so it seems possible to me if those numbers dont change much next year that we could free up the extra money to franchise tag him if no one bites on the high tender this year.

I could live with losing him or keeping him....both have their pros and cons.....One thing I've thought of, that keeping him may offer us, is leverage, against JT, who is only signed through 2005.

Meaning they would both be up for new contracts in the same year if we followed your plan. Even that has pros and cons though.

Last edited:
Great thought. My b*tch is worth more than what I thought. Yes, we should pimp him next year instead and get two 1st rounders. :D I don't think he'll make it past this FA though IMHO.

Originally posted by Dolfan954
Great thought. My b*tch is worth more than what I thought. Yes, we should pimp him next year instead and get two 1st rounders. :D I don't think he'll make it past this FA though IMHO.
I don't think we'll ever see a day when a DE is worth two number ones.....Think about all the great DEs, ever....Would you give up two number ones for any of them?(and a GIA-NORMOUS contract?!?!).......If we put the franchise tag on him next year that just means he won't be going anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom