Miami could go defense in round 1...twice! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami could go defense in round 1...twice!

I'd not be surprised at anything this team does anymore. We didn't think it was posible to take a corner and we took Fletcher. The we didn't think it was posible for us to take a LB and we took Moore. Now we all want a WR and a lineman but is posible that we could take one player on defence. If that player is Wilfork then I don't think we can complain, specially if we get a guy like Woody in free agency. I think Wilfork could turn out to be the best DT coming into the NFL since Sapp and that's hard to pass on. So yes, is posible that we take him if he's there. But I can't see us taking 2 players on defence even with Wanny still around.

Ozzy rules!!

Should Spielman make reach picks on offense and ignore a higher ranked defensive player? This sounds like Wanny's drafting except he reached on defense while ignoring the offense. The draft would be great if the best players available are in the positions of a teams biggest needs but that rarely happens.
If we get an extra pick for Ogunleye a DE should be considered for the additional 1rst round pick. Miami could then cut D. Bowens and use his 1.2 million cap savings on an offensive linemen. If all things are relatively equal between picks, then take the offensive lineman. Otherwise take the higher ranked player!
Other defensive players could be added into the 1rst round mix depending on off season moves: CB if Madison is cut/traded, LB only if Seau AND Greenwood are lost, S if Sean Taylor is on the board, and DT if T. Bowens is cut/traded.
However after stating all this, defense can only be considered if we get an additional #1 for Ogunleye. With the USC dude entering the draft a WR must be taken in the 1rst round! The only possible position to exceed this value & need pick could be a top 3 offensive lineman.

Last edited by a moderator:
We can't pass up on any of these WRs:
Micheal Clayton
Lee Evans
Rashaun Woods
Reggie Williams
Micheal Jenkins

So we won't draft 2 D players in the first round

I don't think that we will go WR in round 1.

I would love to see two Canes - Vernon Carey/DJ Williams

It's likely. DJ at 20, Vernon at 23.

I really, really don't think we're out of the Rivers hunt.

Originally posted by Fisticuff Deuce

Have you not payed attention to the off-season so far? They already are... Giving Wanny 2 more years, Hiring his friend to be GM (while there were 3 people who were much more qualified that I was aware of), and giving Marino a front office job with no expirence, then telling us he's not a figure head, and last, overpaying for a 3rd string QB, when they couldn't get anything for him last year at the same price.

Also, someone mentioned Carey is a first rounder. I would like to ask you why you believe that? A month ago, everyone would agree, but he's proven his reputation for being lazy is true, and thats going to stop a lot of teams from taking him round 1.

If I were the dolphins, I would try and trade up with 2 picks to get a lights out WR like Roy Williams, or Mike Williams. Both should be going somewhere around the 10 spot. I'm sure Pittsburgh would have some interest considering they might want Rivers, and can move down to get him, along with something else.

Miami can send #20 (and for the sake of arguement) and #23 for #11, and a second rounder or something (don't know what the value chart says, but just role playing).
Seems to me like it would be kinda dumb to trade both our first rounders to move up and take a WR and then try to get the ball to him with some "overpaid third string QB".....not to mention how dumb it would be to move up anyway, since we can get a great receiver AND address another need with our two first rounders.

Why would you want to kill the same bird with two stones?

Last edited:
I think that spielman has a pretty good eye for talent. According to what I've read he was high on Boldin and low on Fletcher which means he's got a pretty good eye for what we need this year.

My personal opinion is that offense will be addressed, but not at the point of reaching for a player. I likely see us picking a WR in round 1, and maybe another in round 3 (you need all the WRs you can get). If we get 2 extra picks from O gun of course. I see us moving around a little unless some amazing guys fall into our lap.

Also, If top notch Defensive talent is available, we'd be better served trading down and picking up extra picks than addressing the D.

IMHO,

Gator

Re: Re: Re: Value

That's not correct. Most at WR & TE take at least 3 years to establish themselves because the offensive systems and routes are more complicated and the defenses more complex. Also, the majority of recievers aren't prepared for the more physical coverage encountered in the NFL. [/B][/QUOTE]

First of all, please don't tell me "that's not correct." You have your opinion, I have mine.

Second, as a prime example, Randy Moss started his rookie season, and only ran, basically, three different routes. He had an exceptional season. Moss didn't succeed because of his ability to learn the position. He succeeded because he is a physically superior player.

It doesn't take a lot of brains to play WR. Any rookie with the physical ability can start.

Miami could go defense in round 1...twice!

I think it's more likely I'll be drafted as a running back. (Newbies, study the avatar for full impact.)

I think we'll draft 2 punters cause the Matt Turk negotiations are going well and you guys know how much Wanne loves "depth and competition."

how's about a couple long-snappers since we haven't had much luck with them? :)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Value

Originally posted by Larry Little
That's not correct. Most at WR & TE take at least 3 years to establish themselves because the offensive systems and routes are more complicated and the defenses more complex. Also, the majority of recievers aren't prepared for the more physical coverage encountered in the NFL.

First of all, please don't tell me "that's not correct." You have your opinion, I have mine.

Second, as a prime example, Randy Moss started his rookie season, and only ran, basically, three different routes. He had an exceptional season. Moss didn't succeed because of his ability to learn the position. He succeeded because he is a physically superior player.

It doesn't take a lot of brains to play WR. Any rookie with the physical ability can start. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks for making my point concerning the majority of receivers. For every Moss or Boldin there are 10 receivers like Moulds, Harrison, S. Smith, Mason, and Burress that take 2-4 years to develop before becoming productive. My opinion is you are still incorrect.

Want more reasons?

Again, assuming Ogun goes and we get a 1st and 3rd for him. That leasves us:

2 – 1st rounders
2 – 3rd rounders

What offensive positions would we draft in the 1st?

RB? With all do respect to Dr.AstroZoom, we’re set with Ricky for the next 4-5 years.

TE? Ummmm, no. Randy McMichael is a budding star and Donald Lee is a cheap back-up if not an adequate one.

QB? We trade an 05’ 2nd rounder for AJ Feeley and give him 5ys, 18 mil with 3 mil to sign. Sounds like he’s our starter to me. Outside chance we’ll draft a QB at 20 but only if Rivers falls to us. He won’t. We won’t. We’ll most likely draft a Pickett, Smoker or Navarre (gulp, I hope not…..and I’m a Michigan fan) later in day two of the draft.

OL? Assuming we resign Wade at RT (as has been talked about) and sign two veteran guards like Villarrial and Woody (as has been talked about), no high pick will be needed nor used on OL. No value in the 1st round after Shawn Andrews anyways. We don’t need more youth at this position, talent sure, but not youth with the likes of McKinney, Whitley, Yates and German……we need established veteran producers.

WR? It’s been said that this is the deepest draft at the receiver position ever…..EVER! Plenty of talented guys will be there in the 3rd round. This position historically has been slow to adjust and offer immediate dividends. Why draft a guy in the first round when he’ll likely end up contributing little more than a WR drafted in the 3rd round THIS year? Of course this team is in dire need of talented players at WR, I just think that unless (and that’s a big UNLESS) Rick’s guy is there at 20 (whomever that guy is), he’d be better off drafting another position (or trade down) than reach for the next best receiver.

That leaves defense folks, like it or not. The fact is, we pay our current group of defensive stars too much money for not enough production. Personally, I feel only JT and Pat earn their coin while Seau, Madison and (to a lesser extent) Zach, are getting by more on reputation than on field production. Don’t even get me started on ancient Tim Bowens. What back-ups are going to replace these guys who are well into their prime or past it? Some of the guys above will be 05’ cap casualties and we don’t have much in house to replace them. It is for these reasons that I would not be surprised to see Miami go D with both first round picks this April.

Lots of assumptions for sure but if a run at WR starts in round 1 and we end up on the end of it, I’d bet Rick and Co. pick the defensive player (DT-Randy Starks,CB-DeAngelo Hall, DJ Williams or whomever that might be) who falls to us at 20 instead of reaching for that WR, OL or QB that so many Dolphans desire to have with our first rounder(s).....

"Thanks for making my point concerning the majority of receivers. For every Moss or Boldin there are 10 receivers like Moulds, Harrison, S. Smith, Mason, and Burress that take 2-4 years to develop before becoming productive. My opinion is you are still incorrect."

Moulds surely didn't come out of the gate smoking. He really didn't come on until Bledsoe came to town. Maybe that's a coincidence. Maybe not.

However, Marvin Harrison had a VERY productive rookie season.

It didn't take Steve Smith 2-4 years to start more than 10 games. He did that after one season.

You got me on Mason. He did take a few years to develop. He was also a fourth round pick.

Plaxico Buress also came up VERY big after one year in the NFL.

So, your examples are a little thin... but, you're right, they didn't have a Randy Moss type rookie season... except maybe Harrison.

So, getting back to my original point, and I could be wrong, but I think that rookie WRs have a better shot at doing well right out of the gate than some other positions. They certainly have a much better shot than QBs or OL, who more often than not, actually do take 2-4 years before most teams would even put them on the field at all.

Back
Top Bottom