Miami Dolphins 2020 training camp preview: Wide receivers | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins 2020 training camp preview: Wide receivers

Fin Fan in Cali

Fins Up!
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score

Who will step up to create plays after the catch?

1594075591406.png

Will it be Albert Wilson? Jakeem Grant? Gary Jennings Jr.? Miami needs pass catchers who can take a pass in stride and break off big gains or else it runs the risk of teams crowding the line of scrimmage and first 10 yards of the field and forcing Miami to play “small ball” in the passing game. Albert Wilson has been a YAC stud in the past but he looked like a shell of himself in 2019 as he continued to recover from a hip injury in 2018. Jakeem Grant might be the fastest player on the team, but he’s ended the last two seasons on injured reserve and his reliability is questionable at best for a full 16-game schedule. Jennings Jr. is a sleeper; he played the slot receiver role in West Virginia’s college spread and ran a blazing fast 40-time in 2019 ahead of the NFL draft.

Miami will need someone to step up here. Who is it going to be?

I still think that finding a replacement for Grant in the return game would give us so much more flexibility with our WRs. Being forced to carry a small WR who is not a natural slot receiver limits who we can carry.

If things go as we'd like and both Jennings and Ford legitimately win spots on this team, then we already have 5 (DVP, Preston, and Wilson). It would be pretty hard to consider carrying any of the rookies (Cole, Merritt, or even Perry... and yes, I know Perry is being called a RB).

This doesn't even include Hurns.

Grant will NEVER be more than a return guy. I would hate to keep him and watch a rookie with actual upside get picked up by someone else. I'm really hoping that one of the young guys takes Grant's job. Younger and cheaper is the way to go in the return game.

Hurns, on the other hand, is the guy who could possibly be cut and resigned on week 2... or even flipped for a 7th rounder. I think he's a solid NFL player, but he's just a guy. He doesn't really excite.

The Miami Dolphins, according to Pro Football Reference, were tied for the NFL lead in drops as a team in 2019 — logging 36 dropped passes on the season. Their drop percentage was 6.0%, fourth worst in the league behind Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Dallas. Seven NFL teams dropped 20 or less balls on the season last year, highlighted by the Baltimore Ravens dropping just 14 passes for QB Lamar Jackson.

Our wide receivers arent anywhere near as deep as some people think. I am more than a bit concerned.

High caliber WRS are far more fun to watch in real life than their actual impact on wins and losses. I've seen us make the playoffs relying on Gregg Camarillo and Davone Bess. We'll be fine.

We have bunches of avg wr. They are good enough get job done..

I'd love it if they did a hard restart on the WR room this year due to the amount of depth we have. I wish it was the following :
Parker
Williams
Grant
Ford
And let the udfas fight out with the rest for 1-2 spots plus practice squad. Albert Wilson is not worth his cost, he's a speed demon slot WR who is now not fast..... Grant has at least proven to still have the speed in 2019 with a return TD, but this should be his last year if he can't learn to catch consistently. I say cut Hurns, Wilson, and Louis as they've not shown anything special.

I'd love it if they did a hard restart on the WR room this year due to the amount of depth we have. I wish it was the following :
Parker
Williams
Grant
Ford
And let the udfas fight out with the rest for 1-2 spots plus practice squad. Albert Wilson is not worth his cost, he's a speed demon slot WR who is now not fast..... Grant has at least proven to still have the speed in 2019 with a return TD, but this should be his last year if he can't learn to catch consistently. I say cut Hurns, Wilson, and Louis as they've not shown anything special.
Not sure if you saw the contract restructure that Wilson did brother.

Not sure if you saw the contract restructure that Wilson did brother.
Nah I didn't see that, it's better for sure. 10 mil for a slower Jakeem Grant is ridiculous

Or how he looked from the Giants loss on. He looked like the Albert pre injury.
We only had 2 games after the Giants but his last 5 games were hardly dynamic, his stats were: 5 for 32, 1 for 5, 5 for 59, 7 for 79, 5 for 59.

Back
Top Bottom