Miami Dolphins Expected ‘a Lot More’ From Kiko Alonso, So Will They Get It In 2018? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins Expected ‘a Lot More’ From Kiko Alonso, So Will They Get It In 2018?

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score

Former Dolphins tight end Charles Clay of the Bills fends off linebacker Kiko Alonso. (Photo by Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images)

Straight talk: What Ryan Tannehill and DeVante Parker are to the Dolphins’ offense, Alonso is to the defense.

He’s a lightning rod.

And that’s not just fans and media talking. Even the coaches aren’t in agreement in their public comments on the linebacker.

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...from-kiko-alonso-so-will-they-get-it-in-2018/

That's really the biggest problem - he was out of position a LOT. It's unfortunate that a guy who was known as a LB who could cover TE...ended up being a huge liability in coverage. I do wonder if he played closer to the LOS and tried to jam receivers if he'd be more effective. He seemed to get into more trouble when he was in a zone or trying to cover receivers as they came across the middle.

Most OC's will exploit a weakness, like they did with Kiko. Weakness #1 the LB position in general, go PA fake to freeze 2nd string LB's and run crossing route behind. Weakness #2 Kiko (or either of the other 2 - 2nd string LB's) in zone in zone with multiple crossing routes. This is the defense having to react, not attacking, which a better LB ( and a true FS) core will help to prevent. IMHO. Burk had a learning curve to go through, but was also working without the "Jimmy's and Joe's" you need to compete. With better pieces in place it may not only help Kiko, but Burk and the Defense as a whole.

I wonder if the idea of kicking Kiko back inside is being toyed with. I mean the Chef has the size and capabilities to play strong and I am assuming we are gonna see quite a bit of the 3rd round rookie at WLB in obvious passing downs but not in a base down situation.

The wildcard is Anthony. If he can shine this camp and preseason, you Can roll out the Anthony/Alonso/McMillan trio . . . .while knowing you have Bobby Mac, TJ and hopefully Baker to rotate in the back 7. Of course Allen and Hull are there also but they are more depth options.

I see this as Kikos last season with the Dolphins. He will (more than) probably come out on 3rd down until someone goes hurry up on 3rd down to specifically pick on kiko then he will be benched. Even then would Gase bench him? idk.

If the other LBs on the field with Kiko can actually contribute then I expect him to put in a decent season. There's only so much you can do when the guys next to you aren't that good.

To many times a player attempts to do more than they should instead of just playing within their own limitations when there are huge holes to fill at their position. Seen this often with the phins in the past and the downside they end up being much less effective. Maybe that happened to Alonzo last year.

Combination of lack of support and missing on some plays. Always have to strive for consistent play, but gotta give credit sometimes to the offense too. The one fact we can all agree on is that this LB crew was very weak overall. This will be the year we find out if Alonso can minimize mistakes with the aid of surrounding support or if he’s part of the problem. My money is on he’s less a liability this year because he won’t be blamed for missed assignments just because he’s around the ball so much. Instead of being the closest guy, he’ll be the next closest guy because more players are completing their assignments.

I'm going to give him a pass for last season

Remember when you bring in an OBESE Rey Maualuga
and he actually starts games for you before going off the rails

Never mind Laurence"HOME SICK" Timmons
shows me how bad our LB core really was

I'll give him a chance to see what he can accomplish with this new group

Combination of lack of support and missing on some plays. Always have to strive for consistent play, but gotta give credit sometimes to the offense too. The one fact we can all agree on is that this LB crew was very weak overall. This will be the year we find out if Alonso can minimize mistakes with the aid of surrounding support or if he’s part of the problem. My money is on he’s less a liability this year because he won’t be blamed for missed assignments just because he’s around the ball so much. Instead of being the closest guy, he’ll be the next closest guy because more players are completing their assignments.

Nailed it!

Kiko is payin' ball!

He's made a serious difference in a number of game this year already!

IMO he deserves serious credit right now.

I for one totally support him at this point.

Back
Top Bottom