Miami Dolphins: How this unorthodox defensive package causes QB confusion | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins: How this unorthodox defensive package causes QB confusion

mrbunglez

Gator don't play no ****!
Club Member
Reaction score
Controlled chaos! Dolphins find success with third-down package featuring one defensive lineman, eight defensive backs and constant pre-snap movement
BUFFALO, N.Y. — If the Dolphins defense is on the field on Sunday against the Bills and it’s third-and-long and you can’t figure out what the heck any of their players are doing — constantly moving from left to right and forward and back before the snap — that’s the point.
“However we scheme it up,” Miami coach Brian Flores said Friday, “we’ll try to disguise.”
In last Sunday’s heart-breaking home loss to Washington, Miami unveiled a defensive package that went a bit under the radar, along with its success.
The Dolphins unleashed their interpretation of an amoeba defense, a shapeless and ever-changing look has been employed in cities like Boston, Baltimore, Seattle and Detroit.

If Miami uses this strategy again on Sunday, here’s what you’ll notice:
‒ Only one defensive lineman on the field, and with his hand on the ground, likely defensive end Taco Charlton, a thin and speedy rusher who will line up over center or guard.
‒ Two linebackers, likely Jerome Baker and Sam Eguavoen, who are also speedy and instinctive.
‒ Eight defensive backs. Yes, eight! You might see cornerbacks like Eric Rowe, Ken Webster, Nik Needham and Jomal Wiltz and safeties like Bobby McCain, Walt Aikens, Steven Parker and Chis Lammons.
What you will also notice is as the quarterback prepares to snap the ball, four or five or more Dolphins will be walking around the field at the same time, in what might seem like random or haphazard patterns.
“Controlled chaos,” Aikens, the safety says.
“When you only have one stationary defensive lineman, the world is yours,” Eguavoen, the linebacker says. “You can mix up anything.”
“It’s a lot of fun,” McCain, the corner says.
It’s fun. And last Sunday, it worked.

The Dolphins held Washington to 2-for-11 on third downs, using a game plan orchestrated by defensive coordinator Patrick Graham, and Flores, who promised before the season he would find a way to scheme pressure without a proven NFL edge rusher.

I was wondering what the heck was going on last week, when I saw all that stuff going on. I just figured it was the defense being confused pre snap. This is one hell of a positive sign about Graham and Flores. Thank God for some ingenuity!!!

I was wondering what the heck was going on last week, when I saw all that stuff going on. I just figured it was the defense being confused pre snap. This is one hell of a positive sign about Graham and Flores. Thank God for some ingenuity!!!
I think it's something that will stick moving forward. It's a great way to compensate for not having a strong pass rush. No matter how much film you watch there is no way to gameplan against what appears to be unorganized chaos on the field, pretty clever if you ask me. I'm going to really be looking at this week's game. At first appearance, I thought the same.

I wonder which Needham we will see today. The one from last week, or the preseason Needham.

Give me a break with this nonsense. This Team is a Trainwreck everywhere and these Coaches are Clueless, convince me I am wrong.

How would one go about exploiting the lack of size on the field? Is the first question that popped into my head and TBH, on 3rd and longs, its a though question to anwser...

Edit: Getting pressure here is 100% scheme dependant so mistake will be costly

How would one go about exploiting the lack of size on the field? Is the first question that popped into my head and TBH, on 3rd and longs, its a though question to anwser...
I think runs up the middle would probably exploit the lack of size on the field.

I think runs up the middle would probably exploit the lack of size on the field.
Not on 3rd and longs thats the thing... Thats what makes it a though deal

I edited my previous post but I think the real downside to that sort of strategy wouldnt come from the opposition, but from mistakes from your own team...

Not on 3rd and longs thats the thing... Thats what makes it a though deal

I edited my previous post but I think the real downside to that sort of strategy wouldnt come from the opposition, but from mistakes from your own team...
Well if it's just the presnap look, and they know what their actual assignment is, they should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom