Miami Dolphins See Davon Godchaux As Dt Who Can Handle Double Teams

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Superself, Jul 9, 2018 at 10:13 PM.

1. Superself

Superself If you want to, we can supply you.

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...t-who-can-handle-double-teams-sound-familiar/

Burke made that statement with Suh on the roster. Interesting.

2. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

Godchaux is now listed at 315 so hopefully he added some power with the increase in weight.

3. urbanski

urbanski Scout Team

Pretty damn impressive to be named captain for a game as a rookie. I seriously doubt a coach just gives those out like candy.

4. illscriptures

illscriptures We need better LB's

Currently the most overrated player on the roster.
    Not saying he can't be a star but all this praise is based on perception rather than what he has done.

5. Superself

You are way off. Nobody is expecting him to be the next Suh. But can he improve on what he has already done? Sure he can.
    Look, this guy was a 5th round pick so calling him overrated is just ridiculous.

6. royalshank

royalshank Not a Game-Changer Finheaven VIP Donator

I like him as far as 5th round picks go, but he looked slow to me / will never get to the QB. Best we can hope is he’s good at holding his double teams but he’s not making super human plays like Suh did against Derek Carr last year. I don’t think Godchops will ever be a playmaker from that position but he can be solid. Someone needs to be disruptive from the inside and I don’t think it will be him. If he plays strong and someone else can be the wrecking crew I’m ok. Also, he needs to cut the **** w the offsides / neutral zone penalties.

Ray R likes this.
  7. Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come A True Fan

Godchaux the great, is just absurd. Love my team, but the blatantly unrealistic posts that have been coming out all offseason have become nauseating. I used to check in every day, but this year the blind homerism is too much to take.

Ya know when you water something down too much you don't get more, you get something tasteless and worthless.

superphin and illscriptures like this.
  8. TeeMoney

TeeMoney Penny Wise and Dollar Dumb Finheaven VIP

[​IMG]

9. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team Finheaven VIP

There is zero doubt that Godchaux will be a first ballot Hall Of Famer!!! Is that what you guys mean by over rated? I couldn't agree more but I'll take the team player with a great work ethic. Maybe Godchaux can hold the doubles while Phillips wrecks some havoc. Taylor is also big and strong with some upside and Spence is a fine FA aquisition. William Hayes should slide over to DT in certain situations. There's no Wilfork or Suh or Aaron Donald type but hopefully, it's good enough. If these guys get into a nice rotation they can stay much stronger throughout games. If we don't let the Titans run on us on opening day I'll be very happy. That is a tall order because Derrick Henry is a 6'3 250 pound RB who averages about 4.6 yards per carry and their line is a good one with Lewan and Conklin. We'll have to see if Vrabel can coach! I hope not! A convincing opening day win would be perfect! 27-13 Miami.

illscriptures likes this.
  10. finomenal

finomenal A True Fan

The average fan can't name the DTs for the last few Super Bowl winners. You know why? You don't need superstar DTs to win a Super Bowl. We need competence at the position. Anything else is gravy. It's the ol' Jay Fiedler plan: We don't need you to win the game for us, just don't lose the mudda sucka.

I don't care if Davon never becomes a pass rushing DT. If he can take on double teams and clog the lanes, that's good enough for me. Crucial late game drives where the opponent has to convert a 3rd & short is where his value will truly sign if he's able to be a rock in the middle.

11. John813

John813 Well-Known Member

Bingo. Do your job, consistently. Would it be nice to have an Aaron Donald/Cox at DT? Hell yea, but it's not a requirement to win. If Davon can turn out to be a solid/dependable starter I would call him a very good pick.

This year we have a healthy rotation at DT on paper anyways, so we don't need Godchaux to be the do it all play every snap DT at this time. If he shows to be good at taking up 2 OL every run down play him then and then throw in Hayes/Spence/whoever that may be better at rushing the passer on 3rd down.

Ray R and Travis34 like this.
  12. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

People act like every SB champ has two 'elite' DTs. They don't. Gase/Burke said last year about every D position "Do your job and get be where you're supposed to be/' I think that's the goal. That doesn't mean fans don't want top DTs (or any position), but solid and consistent can win a lot of games. No one knows how Godchaux et al will do, but I don't think interior DL will be as bad as some fear.

Ray R likes this.
  13. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

My only concern is they are overestimating the DT’s abilities on the roster, similar to how they have in the past about the OL.

Going to find out in A couple of months.

Ray R, superphin and illscriptures like this.
  14. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team Finheaven VIP

I don't think so either. In fact, I think the DL will be quite a bit better even minus Suh. I'm talking about bottom line results. I believe we will be better because everybody will be exactly where they are supposed to be. In addition, we added a bunch of speed to the defense. Fitz, Mac and Baker will make us a different defense: faster, more sound and more disciplined. That has to equal better and I also see more turnovers from this group. A great deal depends on Burke, we'll find out if he is going to let us be an attacking defense with many sophisticated variations or a vanilla defense that's predictable. He has the horses to make it exciting, I hope he deploys his assets in an aggressive manner.

Ray R, GUH-sick-EE and Superself like this.
  15. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat Finheaven VIP

Could not conceivably disagree more. He might be the most UNDERRATED player.

kevphin, Superself and TannDaMan17 like this.
  16. russianbear

russianbear FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Was going to say the same thing. We should be ecstatic that we're getting decent production at all from a 5th round pick.

I am unsure of how he is overrated considering we are all aware that interior DL is one of our weaknesses this season. I have faith in both of them to be suitable, and I think that is all we need. No one is going around toting our line as some sort of weapon of the defense. Exterior I think we have some very good talent (Quinn/Wake/Harris) but we are all crossing our fingers in that our DL can hold up inside.

Overrated....psssh...

Superself likes this.
  17. TannDaMan17

TannDaMan17 Well-Known Member

Yea, love Godchaux, very stout at the point of attack. I thought he was a steal before he played a snap for us, glad he proved me right. Hope he wins the starting job next to Phillips, who I also thought played well last year and will continue to improve.

Superself likes this.
  18. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

This is great news, because you can see Godchaux has a good head on his shoulders to go with good skills, if it also lights a fire under Phillips, that will be huge, because Phillips could have special abilities for the position (He moves around like a LB).

If Godchaux becomes the workhorse that he seems to be turning into, and Phillips reaches that high ceiling that his skill tell us he has...this is a very imposing pair in the middle of the D-line.

19. Aqua ‘N Orange

Aqua ‘N Orange Well-Known Member

Doing the dirty work rarely gets appreciated.

Wishfishin likes this.
  20. 67Stang

67Stang FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

To be honest, he doesn't need to be great he just needs to be effective doing his job. If he can demand double teams, that is awesome as it frees others to make plays! Suh was great, demanded double teams, but also freelanced too much and bull rushed himself completely out of plays and gaps, losing integrity. I really don't think we will miss him or Landry as much as everyone thinks and they definitely were not team leaders!

21. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

The DT position was bad with Suh here. So I can't imagine it get any better without him? As for Godchaux let's hope the off season did him well, if he's able to take on double teams with consistency, there should be a chance for defensive improvement. Someone needs to step up at DT. If no one is able to hold double teams this defense will be a sieve!!! Teams will run all over them. Where are Tim Bowens and Larry Chester when you need them. Miami unfortunately needs those exact types for it to be successful on defense. I just don't see it.

The Ghost likes this.
  22. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

Who’s over rating him? Seems like most on here chalk him up to being about average with room to grow

23. DefensiveEnd76

Someone needs to step up. Hey Jordan Phillips are you listening or are you too busy stuffing your face at the all you can eat buffet? Why don't you start playing to your potential for once instead of making one good play then disappearing for the next 40.

Ray R likes this.
  24. DefensiveEnd76

Vincent Taylor, Akeem Spence, Gabe Wright or Jamiyus Pittman. Someone from that group needs to step forward during camp.

25. jlfin

jlfin old pro

Nothing in the article supports what you posted.
    Godchaux is being touted as a key cog in the defense, not a budding superstar. Successful teams need a core of players that are solid and do their jobs within the defensive scheme. Godchaux is that type of player.

The Ghost likes this.
  26. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

Absolutely brother, what's with the hate from some of these fellow posters because of the praise for a kid taken in the 5th round and played well enough to start. Some of the fans are unbelievable.

Travis34 likes this.
  27. Pandarilla

Pandarilla A True Fan

I've got Taylor as my hopeful to replace Suh. Mostly based off his run grade.

Godchaux gives me a Lorenzo Bromell vibe, in that he came out of nowhere and showed promise his first year and then slid off precipitously.

I'm not that hyped period, but I'm still glad we waited till next year to get our DT. This year's class was meh.

28. Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come A True Fan

Sorry, too deep huh?

29. Superself

I doubt that hissy fit of a post was too deep for a toddler to comprehend.

I haven't seen one post stating that Godchaux will be great this season. Yet you are fed up with those types of posts?
    Just a touch of drama huh?

Travis34 and finomenal like this.
  30. illscriptures

Nothing in the post supports that he is over rated? I would hope not. How do you even show that?

I meant he is over rated based on the perception of fans on this board, and also the media if they are saying he has a lot of potential.

He is a run of the mill player, and has shown that ability thus far, nothing more. The empirical data and the games he has played has shown that much. Hopefully I am wrong and he can be more than just a backup DT.

Only in FH could the 3rd string DT of a porous D Line be revered as "under rated."

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 3:25 PM
  31. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

Taylor and Spence have the best shot

32. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat Finheaven VIP

It's such a relief to have the realists around to curb optimism and tell us what's what.

russianbear likes this.
  33. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

I hope Davon can and thought he and Taylor were possible steals in last years draft but at this point in his young career looks like this might be a stretch statement. Stiil all the vets we brought in to help suh never worked out and that 2nd rounder in Phillips does not look that good so really Davon is the man at this point unless Spence is a hidden gem.

34. Mach2

Mach2 Active Member

The middle of our defense is my biggest concern, in particular, against the run.

Are Godchaux, and McMillan ready for the big time? Can Phillips string good plays together at opportune times?

Apparently, the coaching staff thinks so.

phintim likes this.
  35. Superself

Weren't the Dolphins defense ranked #14 in rushing defense and #11 in rushing 1st downs last season?
    Surely Davon (#2 DT with 500 snaps) had something to do with that ranking?

Remember, he was a ROOKIE 5th ROUND selection last year?

I wonder how many 5th round DT selections come in year one and claim 500 snaps?

36. Ray R

Ray R FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I just hope Burke makes it back from his vacation refreshed and undamaged.

37. Ray R

Ray R FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Everyone needs to step up. This season we have enough balance that stepping up should be less difficult than in the past.

38. illscriptures

Lol. I just think it is crazy that people are annointing him the next coming already... I mean I hope he does good but at this point it is premature to think he will be an above average player.

This is a good point, and I hope he proves that he is worthy of even more playing time this year if he deserves it, not just because we have mediocre DT's.