Miami Dolphins See Davon Godchaux As Dt Who Can Handle Double Teams | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins See Davon Godchaux As Dt Who Can Handle Double Teams

Superself

If you want to, we can supply you.
Club Member
Reaction score
The Dolphins rave about Godchaux’s consistency. How he follows direction. His studious nature.

It was that last point that led the Dolphins to select Godchaux as he slid in the draft. He made a lasting impression at the Combine as he reviewed his tapes with the Dolphins and recalled details of plays before the snap even appeared on the screen.

“This is all I do,” Godchaux said.

Defensive coordinator Matt Burke made a comment last season that takes on new meaning today.

“Godchaux is probably one of the best on the team at holding double teams,” he said.

Usually when Dolphins coaches have described that type of situation, it was in reference to Suh. Godchaux already has shown signs he takes his job quite seriously.

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...t-who-can-handle-double-teams-sound-familiar/

Burke made that statement with Suh on the roster. Interesting.

Currently the most overrated player on the roster.
Not saying he can't be a star but all this praise is based on perception rather than what he has done.

Currently the most overrated player on the roster.
Not saying he can't be a star but all this praise is based on perception rather than what he has done.

You are way off. Nobody is expecting him to be the next Suh. But can he improve on what he has already done? Sure he can.
Look, this guy was a 5th round pick so calling him overrated is just ridiculous.

I like him as far as 5th round picks go, but he looked slow to me / will never get to the QB. Best we can hope is he’s good at holding his double teams but he’s not making super human plays like Suh did against Derek Carr last year. I don’t think Godchops will ever be a playmaker from that position but he can be solid. Someone needs to be disruptive from the inside and I don’t think it will be him. If he plays strong and someone else can be the wrecking crew I’m ok. Also, he needs to cut the **** w the offsides / neutral zone penalties.

Godchaux the great, is just absurd. Love my team, but the blatantly unrealistic posts that have been coming out all offseason have become nauseating. I used to check in every day, but this year the blind homerism is too much to take.

Ya know when you water something down too much you don't get more, you get something tasteless and worthless.

Godchaux the great, is just absurd. Love my team, but the blatantly unrealistic posts that have been coming out all offseason have become nauseating. I used to check in every day, but this year the blind homerism is too much to take.

Ya know when you water something down too much you don't get more, you get something tasteless and worthless.

886a5ea0f0ba5f86aa01f999270f457cf57345a1c0d7a03f2d07d4d252926a1b

There is zero doubt that Godchaux will be a first ballot Hall Of Famer!!! Is that what you guys mean by over rated? I couldn't agree more but I'll take the team player with a great work ethic. Maybe Godchaux can hold the doubles while Phillips wrecks some havoc. Taylor is also big and strong with some upside and Spence is a fine FA aquisition. William Hayes should slide over to DT in certain situations. There's no Wilfork or Suh or Aaron Donald type but hopefully, it's good enough. If these guys get into a nice rotation they can stay much stronger throughout games. If we don't let the Titans run on us on opening day I'll be very happy. That is a tall order because Derrick Henry is a 6'3 250 pound RB who averages about 4.6 yards per carry and their line is a good one with Lewan and Conklin. We'll have to see if Vrabel can coach! I hope not! A convincing opening day win would be perfect! 27-13 Miami.

The average fan can't name the DTs for the last few Super Bowl winners. You know why? You don't need superstar DTs to win a Super Bowl. We need competence at the position. Anything else is gravy. It's the ol' Jay Fiedler plan: We don't need you to win the game for us, just don't lose the mudda sucka.

I don't care if Davon never becomes a pass rushing DT. If he can take on double teams and clog the lanes, that's good enough for me. Crucial late game drives where the opponent has to convert a 3rd & short is where his value will truly sign if he's able to be a rock in the middle.

The average fan can't name the DTs for the last few Super Bowl winners. You know why? You don't need superstar DTs to win a Super Bowl. We need competence at the position. Anything else is gravy. It's the ol' Jay Fiedler plan: We don't need you to win the game for us, just don't lose the mudda sucka.

I don't care if Davon never becomes a pass rushing DT. If he can take on double teams and clog the lanes, that's good enough for me. Crucial late game drives where the opponent has to convert a 3rd & short is where is value will truly sign if he's able to be a rock in the middle.

Bingo. Do your job, consistently. Would it be nice to have an Aaron Donald/Cox at DT? Hell yea, but it's not a requirement to win. If Davon can turn out to be a solid/dependable starter I would call him a very good pick.

This year we have a healthy rotation at DT on paper anyways, so we don't need Godchaux to be the do it all play every snap DT at this time. If he shows to be good at taking up 2 OL every run down play him then and then throw in Hayes/Spence/whoever that may be better at rushing the passer on 3rd down.

There is zero doubt that Godchaux will be a first ballot Hall Of Famer!!! Is that what you guys mean by over rated? I couldn't agree more but I'll take the team player with a great work ethic. Maybe Godchaux can hold the doubles while Phillips wrecks some havoc. Taylor is also big and strong with some upside and Spence is a fine FA aquisition. William Hayes should slide over to DT in certain situations. There's no Wilfork or Suh or Aaron Donald type but hopefully, it's good enough. If these guys get into a nice rotation they can stay much stronger throughout games. If we don't let the Titans run on us on opening day I'll be very happy. That is a tall order because Derrick Henry is a 6'3 250 pound RB who averages about 4.6 yards per carry and their line is a good one with Lewan and Conklin. We'll have to see if Vrabel can coach! I hope not! A convincing opening day win would be perfect! 27-13 Miami.

People act like every SB champ has two 'elite' DTs. They don't. Gase/Burke said last year about every D position "Do your job and get be where you're supposed to be/' I think that's the goal. That doesn't mean fans don't want top DTs (or any position), but solid and consistent can win a lot of games. No one knows how Godchaux et al will do, but I don't think interior DL will be as bad as some fear.

I don't think so either. In fact, I think the DL will be quite a bit better even minus Suh. I'm talking about bottom line results. I believe we will be better because everybody will be exactly where they are supposed to be. In addition, we added a bunch of speed to the defense. Fitz, Mac and Baker will make us a different defense: faster, more sound and more disciplined. That has to equal better and I also see more turnovers from this group. A great deal depends on Burke, we'll find out if he is going to let us be an attacking defense with many sophisticated variations or a vanilla defense that's predictable. He has the horses to make it exciting, I hope he deploys his assets in an aggressive manner.

Back
Top Bottom