Miami in close games under Philbin | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami in close games under Philbin

Fins1971

C'mon Dolphins
Club Member
Reaction score
Was having a discussion last night with Roy_maimi and decided to create a thread dedicated to this topic. So before I get started, thx ROY

In the last twenty years 46.12% of all the NFL regular season games were decided by 7 or less points. So the key to being successful is being better than average in these close game situations. Usually the playoff teams have a winning record in these close games and non-playoff teams struggle to close out games. So here is my analysis of those close games under Philbin -Tannehill since 2012

In the 39 games we have had 10 blowout losses (lose by more than 7) and 10 blowout wins (win by more than 7) and 19 games decided by 7 or fewer points. One of those 19 games was a seven point win by Patriots where they ran out the clock and we never really had a chance to win. So I’ll move that over into the blowout loss column. That leaves 18 of 39 (46.15% right at league average) games where the game was up for grabs at the end. Our record in those 18 games is 9-9. Here is a breakdown of those 18 games.

In those 18 games 9 times we have had the ball with the lead and less than 4 minutes to play. The classic 4 minute drive situation. Offense needs 1 to 3 first downs to seal the game. The offense has failed every single time (0 for 9). You actually have to go all the back to the last game of the 2008 season against Jets to see us actually pull off a 4 minute drive. And even in that game we had to punt with 28 seconds remaining. Just by co-incidence that is the last time we have made the playoffs. That is the equivalent of a relief pitcher coming in and giving up a home run every time or a golfer playing a hole perfectly and then missing the 4 foot putt every time. It is pretty much choking in a pressure situation. I’m sick of it. In those 9 situations where gave the ball back and expected the defense to win the game we are 4-5.

Now this isn't a bash the offense thread for not doing their job. In the other 9 games we have been behind and needed the offense to produce a game winning drive. The offense has produced the game winning drive 4 times, failed 4 times and tied the game to send it to OT in the 9[SUP]th[/SUP]. So 4.5 of 9 were successful. I’ll give the other .5 to the defense for the safety in OT against Cincinnati. So of the 9 close game wins the Offense accounts for 4.5 and Defense accounts for 4.5. Good balance but not good enough. It should also be noted that on the 4 game winning drive games only 1 was last second. So 3 more times the Defense had to hold at the end of game to preserve the game winning drive. That really makes them 7 of 12 in those situations.

So what is the solution?

Reduce the number of games turned over to the defense. Offense gets 4 of these chances a year on average. If they just convert one of them that is one more win. Then this leaves the defense with only 3 games to defend. They are around 58% in those situations so that would equate to being successful 2 of 3 times. Just simply closing out one game on offense can have a big impact on season win total. We have had one this year so far and are due for another this week against S.D.

Any clues why we are so pitiful in running the 4:00 minute drive?

Was having a discussion last night with Roy_maimi and decided to create a thread dedicated to this topic. So before I get started, thx ROY

In the last twenty years 46.12% of all the NFL regular season games were decided by 7 or less points. So the key to being successful is being better than average in these close game situations. Usually the playoff teams have a winning record in these close games and non-playoff teams struggle to close out games. So here is my analysis of those close games under Philbin -Tannehill since 2012

In the 39 games we have had 10 blowout losses (lose by more than 7) and 10 blowout wins (win by more than 7) and 19 games decided by 7 or fewer points. One of those 19 games was a seven point win by Patriots where they ran out the clock and we never really had a chance to win. So I’ll move that over into the blowout loss column. That leaves 18 of 39 (46.15% right at league average) games where the game was up for grabs at the end. Our record in those 18 games is 9-9. Here is a breakdown of those 18 games.

In those 18 games 9 times we have had the ball with the lead and less than 4 minutes to play. The classic 4 minute drive situation. Offense needs 1 to 3 first downs to seal the game. The offense has failed every single time (0 for 9). You actually have to go all the back to the last game of the 2008 season against Jets to see us actually pull off a 4 minute drive. And even in that game we had to punt with 28 seconds remaining. Just by co-incidence that is the last time we have made the playoffs. That is the equivalent of a relief pitcher coming in and giving up a home run every time or a golfer playing a hole perfectly and then missing the 4 foot putt every time. It is pretty much choking in a pressure situation. I’m sick of it. In those 9 situations where gave the ball back and expected the defense to win the game we are 4-5.

Now this isn't a bash the offense thread for not doing their job. In the other 9 games we have been behind and needed the offense to produce a game winning drive. The offense has produced the game winning drive 4 times, failed 4 times and tied the game to send it to OT in the 9[SUP]th[/SUP]. So 4.5 of 9 were successful. I’ll give the other .5 to the defense for the safety in OT against Cincinnati. So of the 9 close game wins the Offense accounts for 4.5 and Defense accounts for 4.5. Good balance but not good enough. It should also be noted that on the 4 game winning drive games only 1 was last second. So 3 more times the Defense had to hold at the end of game to preserve the game winning drive. That really makes them 7 of 12 in those situations.

So what is the solution?

Reduce the number of games turned over to the defense. Offense gets 4 of these chances a year on average. If they just convert one of them that is one more win. Then this leaves the defense with only 3 games to defend. They are around 58% in those situations so that would equate to being successful 2 of 3 times. Just simply closing out one game on offense can have a big impact on season win total. We have had one this year so far and are due for another this week against S.D.

Any clues why we are so pitiful in running the 4:00 minute drive?

not sure how this is an argument against the offense. they did what they had to do in those situations. get the lead back

not sure how this is an argument against the offense. they did what they had to do in those situations. get the lead back

Not an argument against the offense. Just wanted to make sure I gave the defense some credit for closing out a drive in those come from behind situations. Ideally you'd like to score as time expires and leave them no time. But when you are behind you have to score 1st and worry about the time left later. It still puts you in the same situation as when you fail in the 4:00 minute drive and have to punt to other team.

We are almost there. 2 out of 3 objectives complete. Offense-check, Defense-check, HC-Need a new one. If we do not get to the playoffs, Joe has to go. Some of his calls just confuse the crap out of me.

Not looking into details and just speaking from of the cuff, I tend to think it has to do with the offense changing the gameplan and ditching aggressiveness and worrying more about not making a mistake then closing out the game. Similar to when defenses go prevent after holding opponents all game, then all of a sudden they march downfield as if they were playing a pee wee team.

Like in the Green Bay game this year... We threw the ball on 2nd down and ran it on third. If aggressiveness was the style like second down, you trust the QB and throw it again. Had they run it both times the clock is at 2 min warning when we punt and Green Bay uses another timeout, then Rodgers would have been 25 or so seconds less to work with, chucking to the end zone from around the 30 instead of from the 8. Or if we passed it twice had the chance to get that 8 yards and pick up the first and kneel down. This stuff lies on coaching and play calls late.

Definitely need a new head coach for these close games. Philbin just doesn't have it, he's too safe and hta'ts not what we need.

The defense failed in the GB game but otherwise they have been great

The defense failed in the GB game but otherwise they have been great

Not true, the defense kept us in that game with Tannehennes terrible first half performance. They were gas'd from being on the field all game.

... In the last twenty years 46.12% of all the NFL regular season games were decided by 7 or less points. So the key to being successful is being better than average in these close game situations. ...

I'm not sure one can derive the conclusion from that statistic. Maybe most of those 46% were games in which both teams were non-playoff teams. Do the stats show the point spread only among games including playoff teams? Maybe we'll find that playoff teams beat non-playoff teams by an average of 7 or more points. If this is the case, one can argue that the key is becoming a regular member of the +7 points club. I'm not saying the +7 points thing is a fact, just pointing out that the OP's conclusion is not necessarily supported by the evidence as presented.

That said, I totally agree that we need to be better at those close games. We had the ball and the lead with 4 minutes to go, in 9 games? And our record for those games is 4-5? That is absolutely shameful. If our guys are good enough to lead the game after 56 minutes, they're good enough to win. At that point, it's coaching and play-calling.

We are almost there. 2 out of 3 objectives complete. Offense-check, Defense-check, HC-Need a new one. If we do not get to the playoffs, Joe has to go. Some of his calls just confuse the crap out of me.

That was going to be my next step. Analysis of the 0 for 9 on 4 minute drills. Whose fault are these failures?

We know Joe made bad decisions in the Green bay loss this year, and the Buffalo loss last year. you could also question the choice to pass against Arizona in 2012 when we were running the ball good and he choose to pass and we got pressure which caused interception. So 3 of those 9 could have went the other way if Joe played the odds better. Not sure of any other coaching blunders I missed in those 9 4 minute situations. We had sacks in Buffalo and San Diego games last year that stalled the drive or turned the ball over. We had a false start against the panthers that stalled the drive. So in 3 of those instances the line let us down. Rushing yards have been non-existent in these situations other than the Cardinal game in 2012. The last 5 chances we have 7 rushes for 12 yards in these close out situations. Ryan Tannehill has been our only answer in this situation. He has produced most of the 1st downs passing. We just seem to come up 1 first down short.

I'm not sure one can derive the conclusion from that statistic. Maybe most of those 46% were games in which both teams were non-playoff teams. Do the stats show the point spread only among games including playoff teams? Maybe we'll find that playoff teams beat non-playoff teams by an average of 7 or more points. If this is the case, one can argue that the key is becoming a regular member of the +7 points club. I'm not saying the +7 points thing is a fact, just pointing out that the OP's conclusion is not necessarily supported by the evidence as presented.

This is my assumption, not a fact. But seems to be backed up in several places on the internet. Here is one

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012/2/22/2816554/dallas-cowboys-teams-win-close-games-in-the-nfl

Not looking into details and just speaking from of the cuff, I tend to think it has to do with the offense changing the gameplan and ditching aggressiveness and worrying more about not making a mistake then closing out the game. Similar to when defenses go prevent after holding opponents all game, then all of a sudden they march downfield as if they were playing a pee wee team.

Like in the Green Bay game this year... We threw the ball on 2nd down and ran it on third. If aggressiveness was the style like second down, you trust the QB and throw it again. Had they run it both times the clock is at 2 min warning when we punt and Green Bay uses another timeout, then Rodgers would have been 25 or so seconds less to work with, chucking to the end zone from around the 30 instead of from the 8. Or if we passed it twice had the chance to get that 8 yards and pick up the first and kneel down. This stuff lies on coaching and play calls late.

Its not true that we aren't aggressive. In all 9 of those failed "closeouts" we attempted at least one pass per drive. The San Diego closeout drive ended up being an almost identical situation to the Green Bay final series, in that one we attempted the pass on third and eight but Tannehill was sacked. Rivers moved the ball back to our territory but he ran out of time. The biggest difference between those games? The punt pinned them to the 17.

Had Philbin not ran it on that 3rd and 9 against Green Bay I guarantee he'd have just as many calling for his head for not taking time off the clock, and not a soul defending the decision (except me and a couple of others). Remember that thread Hayden Fox created a few years back that had so many "no thanks" it was blacked out? That was because he was complaining about Philbin passing at the end of the Cincy game instead of running clock, he was complaining about aggressiveness.

Pro-football-reference calculates win percentage and ours was at its highest on the sack and near fumble at 95%. Before that the highest was 94.7% on the illegal hands to the face penalty that gave us the first. Every time the offense runs a play that doesn't result in a first down it drops. According to them after the third down that resulted in a sack vs SD we were 85% and after the 3rd and 9 run vs GB we were 83%. Here's the difference: after the punt vs SD we went up to 94% favorite and after the punt vs GB we actually dropped to an 81% favorite.

Anyway, for me this is not a Joe Philbin issue. He's aggressive, he's almost always aggressive within reason, and that is how you have to be to get those percentages up to 100%. For me the issue is Ryan Tannehill is just too lackadaisical in those situations. Green Bay's defense went up a level in intensity and they started sending pressure every down, our offense did nothing to account for it, I'm not even sure they noticed. In looking at our offense's intensity level on that drive you could easily think it was just the first quarter of a preseason game, while GB's defense looked like they were playing for the SuperBowl.

This is the type of intensity I'd like to see with a 1 score lead and the ball in hand:

[video=youtube;YGloWbzjE5E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGloWbzjE5E[/video]

This is what we have been getting from Ryan Tannehill:

week 3 Jets 4 point lead with 6 minutes left. PUNT.
week 4 Cardinals 7 point lead with 3 minutes left. sack/fumble/TURNOVER
week 5 Bengals 4 point lead with 2 minutes left. PUNT
week 6 Rams 3 point lead with 2 minutes left. PUNT
Week 2 Colts 4 point lead with 4 minutes left. PUNT
Week 6 Bills 1 point lead with 3 minutes left. SACK/TURNOVER
Week 11 Chargers 4 point lead with 2 minutes left. PUNT
Week 12 Panthers 3 point lead with 4 minutes left PUNT
Week 6 Green Bay 4 point lead with 2 minutes left. PUNT

Joe Philbin was hired to fix our offense, and he hasn't, so it's definitely a Joe Philbin issue.

We have a talented roster that should be in the playoffs year in and year out, but we've missed so many opportunities in the past because our offense couldn't close the deal. It's frustrating to say the least.

So I see some think its Philbin fault, others Tannehill.

But if we really look at the OP the problem goes back before both of them arrived.

I didn't chart all the games from 2008 to 2011 but I noticed that there were about 8-10 times that we did the same thing under Sporano/Henne

This 4 minute drive futility streak is actually somewhere near 20 in a row. Somebody just doesn't like us or something....

Joe Philbin was hired to fix our offense, and he hasn't, so it's definitely a Joe Philbin issue.

We have a talented roster that should be in the playoffs year in and year out, but we've missed so many opportunities in the past because our offense couldn't close the deal. It's frustrating to say the least.

Joe Philbin was hired to win a championship. The plan was/is good. The problem is he got a dud at QB. Take the top 5 coaches in the NFL and give them Chad Henne at QB, what do you think their average record is going to be? To win in the NFL you need either an elite arm or the clutch factor, and the hope is you get both. Henne had neither, so that would make it extremely hard to win these "closeout" types of games. And with a QB like Henne you would find yourself in a ton of these types of situations.

Back
Top Bottom