Miami in close games under Philbin | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami in close games under Philbin

ae336473f2a89a0bdbe823885fe34cb6-1.jpg

Thx to slk018 for getting this from his sources.

Some surprises on that list. Shocked Melt Ryan is so high, and Rodgers is so low. I guess that explains why the Packers haven't had more success despite having one of the best pure passers to ever play the game.

And I think out of that 5 for Tannehill he gets credit for the walk off safety in the Cincy game as a comeback, which isn't right imo. So really he only has 4 as far as I'm concerned.

In the past we have not been able to close out games b/c our OL was terrible and we could never run the ball, especially when other teams knew we were running. Being the vag that Philbin is, we never truly stayed aggressive in those situations and tried throwing the ball enough if at all. So combination of poor blocking/run game and bad coaching.

So you're saying that the combination of Hickey/Philbin/Tannehill needs more than 1 year to produce results?

Look, there's no doubt that Hickey has proven to be a HUGE upgrade over Jeff Ireland. But I personally believe that Philbin and RT have enough tools this year to be successful. If we miss out on the playoffs what will be the excuses? Still not a good enough OL? Inexperience in a new offensive system? Lack of better weapons? Super tough schedule?

No team is ever perfect or has all the weapons, but I really believe the 2014 Dolphins have enough talent and a damn good defense that should be enough to make the playoffs IF we have better production from our offense. Not even talking about Peyton Manning levels of production, just fewer turnovers, more touchdowns in the red zone, faster starts, more consistency all around.

This team is on the verge of turning things around, it just needs to play better offensively. That's all I'm asking for. Just my opinion, though.

Whether they get another year or not it's not up to me. Brandon Weeden looked competent the other night in relief of Romo, Colt McCoy looked competent in his first start in 3 years...both played for a Cleveland team that never got either of them enough weapons offensively. Tannehill has improved all 3 years he's been here. Not coincidentally the talent on offense has improved...we still have issues with the O-line and when Tannehill is given time we see the offense plays much better.

Does this team have enough to make the playoffs? Yes it does but for that to happen we'll have to get some breaks...we're pretty even with a lot of teams and a lot of teams we play have a strength that lines up perfectly with our weakness (their defensive tackles against our interior O-line). I find it funny that we lay all the blame of the team at the feet of a QB that was never given the tools to succeed when he first got here. I believe the lack of weapons and a decent offensive line has totally hindered his development but that's just me.

I could tell you exactly why we are not successful in these situations, but most people on FH simply do not want to hear it.

This is my assumption, not a fact. But seems to be backed up in several places on the internet. Here is one

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012/2/22/2816554/dallas-cowboys-teams-win-close-games-in-the-nfl

Fair enough. Given that you said "key to being successful", defining success is key (!).

My definition of success, for this team and at this point, is making the playoffs. If we can agree on that for the moment, then for us to know what the key is, we might want to look at how playoff teams perform, not necessarily how the whole league performs. With that in mind, I suggest we look at the same data you cite but only those games which include a playoff team. How did they do, what percentage of their games ended up within 7 points? If it's at or around 46% then you are clearly on the right track.

But what if we find games with playoff teams are decided by 7 points or less in 35% of the games? If 65% of their games are decided by more than 7 points, maybe the key to success is getting really good at beating the daylights out of the opposition when the opportunity presents itself.

I don't know which is right or where the middle ground is. But I think if we want to become a playoff team we should look at how playoff teams perform against the competition, not necessarily how the entire league performs.

Whether they get another year or not it's not up to me. Brandon Weeden looked competent the other night in relief of Romo, Colt McCoy looked competent in his first start in 3 years...both played for a Cleveland team that never got either of them enough weapons offensively. Tannehill has improved all 3 years he's been here. Not coincidentally the talent on offense has improved...we still have issues with the O-line and when Tannehill is given time we see the offense plays much better.

Does this team have enough to make the playoffs? Yes it does but for that to happen we'll have to get some breaks...we're pretty even with a lot of teams and a lot of teams we play have a strength that lines up perfectly with our weakness (their defensive tackles against our interior O-line). I find it funny that we lay all the blame of the team at the feet of a QB that was never given the tools to succeed when he first got here. I believe the lack of weapons and a decent offensive line has totally hindered his development but that's just me.

Honestly we could end up 10-6 and still miss the playoffs. If that were to happen I would not be opposed to sticking with Philbin next year. This year our schedule is BRUTAL, so if we manage to win 10 games that would be a good sign for the future of this team, imo. But only IF our offense shows steady improvement throughout the year.

And I truly believe that if we are able to improve offensively, we'll be able to win many games. Sure, our interior OL is still a problem, it was impossible for Hickey to fix all of our issues, but if you take a look at the GB game, we played against an elite QB and a very good football team and came really close to beating them, despite our offense having a horrible first half. That's why I think if we can get our offense to play better, we'll have a shot at winning plenty of games.

It's true, this team still has many issues that go beyond Ryan Tannehill, but he's still the key to our success going forward, and so far he's been way too inconsistent. Maybe it's because in his rookie year he had very few weapons, maybe it's because in 2013 he played behind one of the worst OL in the history of the game, but this year he has better weapons and a better OL, he has a running game and a good defense, there are no more excuses. All I need is for him to show improvement throughout the year. Whether we make the playoffs or not, who knows, but I don't think asking your third year QB to play at a more consistent level is asking too much.

You never see the pats lose these types of games. They seem to win a lot of the close games and the reason is they have a coach that plays to win rather than hoping the other team makes a mistake. The pats are very aggressive and demand to keep the ball. I remember them going for a 4th down on their own side of the field in a prime time game late in the game and they didn't get it. Lost the game and took a lot of flack for it but at least he was trying to keep the ball.

Philbin plays not to lose rather than playing to win. I have said that since he has been here. He is not a leader and never will be. We will need to blow people out or the other team will need to make a mistake or we don't win. To increase your chances in close games I think one of the most important areas is OL and DL. You have to be able to control the trenches to make late game decisions go your way. You can't take sacks and you have to be able to pressure the other teams QB.

To solve the problem, continue to upgrade OL and fire Philbin and we should be fine going forward.

You never see the pats lose these types of games. They seem to win a lot of the close games and the reason is they have a coach that plays to win rather than hoping the other team makes a mistake. The pats are very aggressive and demand to keep the ball. I remember them going for a 4th down on their own side of the field in a prime time game late in the game and they didn't get it. Lost the game and took a lot of flack for it but at least he was trying to keep the ball.

Philbin plays not to lose rather than playing to win. I have said that since he has been here. He is not a leader and never will be. We will need to blow people out or the other team will need to make a mistake or we don't win. To increase your chances in close games I think one of the most important areas is OL and DL. You have to be able to control the trenches to make late game decisions go your way. You can't take sacks and you have to be able to pressure the other teams QB.

To solve the problem, continue to upgrade OL and fire Philbin and we should be fine going forward.

I think it really depends on the circumstances of the game. Just this year alone, he's been passing when having the lead late in the game, even large leads, he's near the top for going for it on 4th down. He seems to mix it up, but you can't expect him to go for it all the time, and when he does, and fails, like the 4th and goal attempt, he gets ripped for it. The guy can't win because people have already given up on him and will pick apart anything that doesn't work out. And if the team succeeds and wins, he won't get any props, only the OC will get credit when then win.

Not true, the defense kept us in that game with Tannehennes terrible first half performance. They were gas'd from being on the field all game.

and Tannehill was incredible in the 2nd. everytime the d gave up a score he countered.

week 4 Cardinals 7 point lead with 3 minutes left. sack/fumble/TURNOVER
week 5 Bengals 4 point lead with 2 minutes left. PUNT
week 6 Rams 3 point lead with 2 minutes left. PUNT
Week 2 Colts 4 point lead with 4 minutes left. PUNT
Week 6 Bills 1 point lead with 3 minutes left. SACK/TURNOVER
Week 11 Chargers 4 point lead with 2 minutes left. PUNT
Week 12 Panthers 3 point lead with 4 minutes left PUNT
Week 6 Green Bay 4 point lead with 2 minutes left. PUNT

These are all the times we had the ball and a one score lead with 4 minutes or less to play, every one of these drives ended with a pass attempt except the Green Bay game and the Rams game, and the Rams was a 3rd and 1 situation, you can't really begrudge a coach for running on 3rd and 1. You most definitely can't say he hasn't been aggressive in this situation before and I think it was correct to run it vs Green bay, especially in light of how our offense was performing on that drive, and in general in this situation in the past. Like I said, its a lose-lose situation for Philbin.

We are almost there. 2 out of 3 objectives complete. Offense-check, Defense-check, HC-Need a new one. If we do not get to the playoffs, Joe has to go. Some of his calls just confuse the crap out of me.

can you explain to me and many others how you get rid of your coach and keep your offense and defense?

players dont stick around new situations. the thing gets blown up at least half way. You have to count on the new coach being able to pick a QB and his studs to help take them there.

I dont see this scenario that all you joe haters see in this. Players either buy in or they dont. Not many want to buy into new system again and new everything.

this stat means nothing other than alot of those guys at the top end of that list are not really playing great now.

for instance, I would take RT over Cam Newton who is absolutely looking like a rookie.

Back
Top Bottom