Miami only had 2 missed tackles the whole game. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami only had 2 missed tackles the whole game.

That seems weird to me because there was multiple runs where they cleared us out pretty good I guess once we got our hands on him they went down which is good but I’d rather see some more negative please.

Impressive for him individually, but I really prefer if guys are tackled by linemen/LBs on run plays.
Agreed, and tackled preferably within 3 yards of the line of scrimmage! Tackling someone 8 yards past scrimmage is not getting it done. Now, the person making the tackle may or may not be the one at fault for that ... but it definitely underscores a problem. Likewise, as @Mach2 points out, when your safety has that many tackles, the front 6 simply isn't doing it's job.

That seems weird to me because there was multiple runs where they cleared us out pretty good I guess once we got our hands on him they went down which is good but I’d rather see some more negative please.
Completely agree @artdnj .

That is one of the reasons the "tackles" metric tends to be far less insightful than the "YPA" (Yards Per Attempt) metric. QB's tend to best be captured by their YPA for pass plays, which underscores the stat-pumping bubble screens are less effective than occasionally taking a shot downfield. For runners we're all very cognizant of the "YPC" (Yards Per Carry) metric already, and using that similar analysis on all plays tends to provide a lot of insight. That plus turnovers gets us a long way to judging effectiveness of offenses and defenses.

That's how good our d linemen were blocked. They weren't even in on most tackles to miss them.
Totally what came to my mind right away. Our team wasn't close enough to make the tackles and when they did, it was after good gains by the pats.....lol

I think our defense played within an expected level week 1 on the road with no preseason vs a team with an excellent OL. The truth is that our offense played a major role in exposing our defense. You can’t struggle to put 11 points on the board and expect teams to not just pound the rock all day. If we put more points on the board the Pats would have been forced to throw. That being said, I did notice that Jones played exceptionally well vs the run (from the safety position). You don’t want to see him with 10 tackles, but at the same time not missing a tackle is a promising stat (for him).

LB has to be at top of the draft board next year, a consistent pass rusher would be nice also.

Not surprised by Brandon Jones he was pretty universally accepted as the best tackling defensive back in the draft

Last edited:
I was really surprised at how good the fundamentals were without any preseason games.

Unfortunately most of those tackles took place after the Patriots had gained at least 5 yards.

Seems the Pats had better fundamtals with the same preseason games.
Definitely don't need four preseason games, that's for sure. Probably end up settling in for two. I think one and a shared scrimmage might work as well.

Back
Top Bottom