Miami / Tampa Bay Conspiracy? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami / Tampa Bay Conspiracy?

Somewhat plausible, although I'm not sure how wise it is to let your true intentions be known to ANY team prior to the draft. There's nothing that precludes anyone from releasing that information for their own advantage come draft day.

I do think all this hype around Alex Smith is mostly smoke.

I also think Miami desperately wants to trade down, at least once. If they're unable to, the front office will be disappointed.

Tampa trading up to #2 and nabbing B. Edwards wouldn't surprise me a bit, and neither would Minnesota entering into the bidding and Miami taking the best offer.

ahmajokester said:
You could be right, but when did all of this man-love for Alex Smith start? Wasn't it only about a week ago? What really happened then? I heard mixed reviews after his workout. It seemed to me to just start out of thin air..
There are guys I would much rather have than Smith, but I am starting to believe that if we stay at #2 then he will be the pick. I always thought that it would be Brown, Benson or Edwards, but BlueFin's preachings have me thinking otherwise.

The only reason that I would want Smith is that we do not have a franchise QB, it would be so nice to have the QB position sorted until 2015.

ahmajokester said:
You could be right, but when did all of this man-love for Alex Smith start? Wasn't it only about a week ago? What really happened then? I heard mixed reviews after his workout. It seemed to me to just start out of thin air..

I don't know what the hell is gonna happen on Saturday, but I do know that he didn't get mixed reviews for his workout. The guy had a standing ovation for the first time in a long time said the scouts on hand...

I like your theory but remember, the 49ers could be playing games just the same.

Well, I don't know about a Mia/TB conspiracy but I now think that Boomer was right in that the 49ers always wanted Smith...but I think that they previously talked him down in favor of Rodgers because they were hoping to trade down and still draft him a bit lower. Did the Phins and/or Bucs know this? Now that Miami and TB have circulated their rumor (intentionally or not), SF is being forced to show their cards (hold onto Smith). This is a very interesting draft. I can't wait. :)

JB-Dolfan-VA said:
I don't know what the hell is gonna happen on Saturday, but I do know that he didn't get mixed reviews for his workout. The guy had a standing ovation for the first time in a long time said the scouts on hand...

I like your theory but remember, the 49ers could be playing games just the same.

I thought it was Rodgers that got the standing ovation. I could be wrong, but that's what I remember.

I remember Smith getting mostly very good reviews, but there were some complaining that he only threw out of the shotgun [the one knock on him I guess is that he is not as good under center]..

I agree with the posts that say it is going to be a very interesting Saturday... I can't wait!

I still thin that if a trade-dwon happens, it will be with Minn for #7 and #18.

and then the #18 will end up in Phil for #31 and our own original 2nd coming back to us.

that leaves us with #7, #31 and an early 2nd and still a possible 2nd from KC.

those picks alone will give Saban a lot of breathing room in defining "his" team.

finresurrection said:
I still thin that if a trade-dwon happens, it will be with Minn for #7 and #18.

and then the #18 will end up in Phil for #31 and our own original 2nd coming back to us.

that leaves us with #7, #31 and an early 2nd and still a possible 2nd from KC.

those picks alone will give Saban a lot of breathing room in defining "his" team.

The odds of that happening are about the same as the odds of me getting one of the girls in your avatar..

It would be GREAT, but I doubt it will actually happen..

ahmajokester said:
I'm new here, so don't go too hard on me, but what do you guys think about this conspiracy theory?

I think Saban and Gruden got together and created this whole Alex Smith hype that started about a week ago.

This is what we knew a week ago: San Francisco was going to take a QB, probably Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers was even on ESPN [and several other sports talk shows] saying that he thought he was going to go #1 overall.

We've known all along that the Dolphins would LOVE to trade down.

We also knew that the Vikings wanted to trade up into the top 3 to grab Braylon Edwards.

I think Gruden wants Edwards - NOT Alex Smith. Tampa Bay desperately needs a quality WR opposite Clayton. Gruden's offense back in Oakland was a heavy pass-oriented offense. Who do the Bucs have at WR after Clayton? Joe Jurevicious? Please :rolleyes:

Think about it... Before Miami and Tampa Bay started talking about Alex Smith everyone had the 49ers taking Aaron Rodgers. Now what has happened? The 49ers say they might take Smith... Why? Because they want to try to get Tampa Bay (or even Miami :roflmao: ) to trade up to get him. If Gruden had let out the truth - that he wants to trade up to get Edwards the 49ers could have done the same thing. Remember, the 3 guys San Francisco started contract talks with were Smith, Rodgers, and Edwards. If the 49ers take Edwards, the Dolphins lose out on a trade down partner (remember, Tampa is really interested in Edwards, NOT Smith) -- Tampa Bay lost out on their guy, and so did Minnesota. Another problem with letting out the truth that Tampa Bay is really interested in Braylon Edwards and not Alex Smith would be, Minnesota could make a trade with San Francisco to move up to #1 to get Edwards -- again BAD for Miami and Tampa Bay.

So Gruden and Saban cook up this little plan. Both teams fake a lot of interest in Alex Smith. So now, San Fran, who was leaning towards Aaron Rodgers, now says they are considering Alex Smith. Minnesota is confident that QBs will go 1-2, so they are focusing their trade talks with Cleveland because it will be cheaper and, let's be honest, the Minnesota brass is not too smart.

On draft day, the 9ers prolly take Smith, but if not, I think Rodgers is the most likely guy. The Bucs trade us their #5 overall, their 2nd round pick this year, and probably a conditional 2nd or 3rd round pick next year to move up to #2 overall and grab - no NOT Alex Smith, but - Braylon Edwards to play opposite Michael Clayton. Minnesota gets screwed and we get probably our choice of 2 of the top 3 RBs at #5 plus an extra 2nd round pick this year and next!

Works out great for Miami and our neighbors Tampa Bay. Minnesota gets screwed.

That's my conspiracy theory. What do you think?

I don't think there is a conspiracy at all..........I think the Niners realized after getting a call from Minnesota that they might have an opportunity to get both of Minnesota's picks for the number one, which still might allow them to get Aaron Rodgers at #7.

I also think to play off of that they are smokescreening Alex Smith so as to possibly have competition for their number #1 pick from possibly Tampa and maybe even Miami(who knows what Saban is really thinking?)

In the end I think they will trade with Minnesota and the Vikes will take Edwards.

KuchaMucha said:
Well, I don't know about a Mia/TB conspiracy but I now think that Boomer was right in that the 49ers always wanted Smith...but I think that they previously talked him down in favor of Rodgers because they were hoping to trade down and still draft him a bit lower. Did the Phins and/or Bucs know this? Now that Miami and TB have circulated their rumor (intentionally or not), SF is being forced to show their cards (hold onto Smith). This is a very interesting draft. I can't wait. :)

Nah, Rodgers better fits the West Coast offense, they switched to Smith because they noticed there was more interest from other teams in Smith and it presented more trade down opportunities for them.

They also will show an interest in picking Edwards as the week goes on to ultimately make the deal with Minnesota.

If Minnesota thinks they can get Braylon Edwards at #2 or #3, they won't trade with the 49ers.

They'll do this as cheaply as they can.

I dont think that they got together on this. TB just used the copy-cat method, to throw up a smoke screen. The fins have a smoke screen up also, the number one choice is to trade down to gain more options in the later round and at the same time maintain a good 1st round pick, that would benefit the needs of the run game. It's kinda silly, there's no reason the phins would have brought in the QB when they did, if they were going to draft a QB that high up in the draft. NOT at all. And to bring in a QB that knows the system from Minn, already, that lets you know right there that we won't draft a QB that high up. THINK ABOUT IT!!!

If the idea was to make Minnesota think that QBs would be going 1 and 2 then that would be better served by us giving the impression of taking Smith. With SF taking smith I dont think anyone thinks we want Aaron Rodgers.

Smithboy said:
If Minnesota thinks they can get Braylon Edwards at #2 or #3, they won't trade with the 49ers.

They'll do this as cheaply as they can.

What makes you think the Niners won't draft Edwards?

If they do doesn't that mean they have to deal with the Niners?

Today starts the Niners negotiations with the agent for Braylon Edwards, he considered by most the most talented player in this draft.

Back
Top Bottom