Miami's Speed Package

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by BSQ, Jun 9, 2018.

1. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team Finheaven VIP

This if fun to speculate about. The starting offense, regarding skill players, will be Tannehill, Drake, Gisecki, Stills and Parker.

I see a potential speed package that can be shuttled in. Albert Wilson, Jakeen Grant and Stills. 2 of these guys play wide receiver and 1 goes to the slot in an interchangeable way. Drake or Ballage, both speedsters, man the backfield. In this speed package or, "the Gazelle" as I would call it you have all your fastest offensive players on the field at the same time. By having Wilson and Grant on the outside you're putting a ton of pressure on the defense to account for that kind of speed. In this example Stills is in the slot and Drake/Ballage in the backfield. The fun thing is there are so many different ways to switch things around shuttling guys in and out with different skill sets. Gase has to be chomping at the bit.

What kind of offensive packages do you guys think would be the most exciting. We need to be fast, precise and dynamic on offense, we've been predictable for too long.

2. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

Bunch formations. Don't lose sight of Grant for one second or your toast.

If Parker stays healthy and produces, the rest of his teammates are going to be lethal.

If Parker and Gesicki are both weapons this season, ummmmmmm good luck.

72champagne, tay0365, Greer17 and 6 others like this.
  3. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

We have lots of speed now but we need to put it to good use. It's ok to have a bubble screen from time to time but use that speed to go forward instead of these 2 yard passes to the left.

cullenbigcstill and dolpns13 like this.
  4. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

If it's Landry catching it i agree. Those got brutal to watch.

Jakeem going at full speed is a different story. That dude looks like a RB with WR speed. I've never seen those kinds of afterburners from someone that small. He's a combination of Darren Sproles upper body and Ted Ginn's legs. It's no coincidence both of those players took a few years to find their niche in the NFL.

Gase and Tannehill are salivating at the potential here.

Pandarilla, BSQ and Ray R like this.
  5. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I said last year I'd like to see some plays with Grant/Stills wide and Parker/Landry inside. Now there's Wilson and Gesicki

Ray R likes this.
  6. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I have no problem using those to him but you need to go on top too just to get the defense to back off. Then when they're worry about getting burn deep you can do those under with room to run.

7. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

Ray R, 72champagne and Pandarilla like this.
  8. tazthenomad

tazthenomad FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

If the OL gives a little time the possibilities are nearly endless. I can't think of a time ever when we potentially have a person at each skill position that a defensive coordinator would need to worry about getting behind the defense given a little time.

If we demonstrate the ability to hurt with long plays the running game will be tough to stop. Balance should be easy.

coalesce, Ray R, Jimi and 2 others like this.
  9. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

And that's what Stills brings you. Kenny is a vertical guy through and through. He doesn't have Jakeem's shiftiness.

In general I'm not a big fan of bubble screens unless you have the right personnel for it.

For all the knocks on Parker's production, I will say this without a doubt, in 2016 he was a supremely gifted downfield blocker. As were Landry and Stills. A very overlooked aspect of some of Ajayi's runs, and quite a few big plays from the WR's, were prompted by them getting downfield and putting a helmet on someone.

And we're not even talking about the depth that Amendola, Wilson and Gore bring.

Superself and Ray R like this.
  10. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

I can say one thing for sure
    Omar Kelly is the fastest beat writer

an example below

[​IMG]

11. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

The Miami Dolphins WR's are better than the rest of the AFCE's combined.

Ray R and damaster21 like this.
  12. Ren

Ren Rookie

Honest question because I really don't know, but is there any other team that has as much speed at the skill positions as we do? IIRC, we have 3 receivers and 2 RBs with combine times in the 4.4's. I know some teams don't even have one guy with that kind of speed.

Ray R likes this.
  13. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

It is most definitely time for the offense to take off. If Miami is going to make a playoff run, which I think is possible, it will be because of the offense. Lots of speed, finally talent on the offensive line, Tannehill coming back, and what looks like the semblance of a good running game. This should be at the very least a slightly above average offense. If players emerge, it could be even better.

To me, Grant is definitely a player who needs more touches. I like the speed options with him, Wilson, Stills and Drake on the field at the same time.

14. Etuoo33

Etuoo33 Seasoned Veteran

That would be fun to see. Mercury Morris used to race high school-ers before pre-season games when I was a kid.

Ray R and Pandarilla like this.
  15. BSQ

Ren, you're just looking at the offense! We have some real burners on defense as well. We increased team speed in a big way this off-season!!

I think that with Grant and Stills on the outside and Wilson and Amendola in the slot Gesicki would almost have to be one on one with a LBer. How are you going to stop that? You can have them playing on their heels and then you could cross them up by running out of a passing formation with Ballage or Gore. Drake is a huge weapon in the passing game so we have to draw up some good stuff for Kenyon.

How can we incorporate pre snap motion to influence the LBers away from the flow of the play? It would be cool if someone with more knowledge than me explained how this works. I wonder how deep we can get into the Playbook now that we have players that can learn the plays. I think we can be much more sophisticated on offense with more cerebral team first guys.

16. dougb123

dougb123 Well-Known Member

Reading this thread Amendola's 2017 highlights are playing in the upper right corner of my screen from a different website and all I can think of is he is really going to capitalize from all the speed Miami can put on the field, speed clears things out and the smart guy who finds the big opening in the zones is going to catch a lot of balls.

If he stay's healthy he will have a big year - offense could be special so much potential here, Gase just needs to meld it all together

Ray R, zach attach and lurking like this.
  17. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I think you hit on a key point. Weapons and talent can be wasted if Gase doesn't use them properly. Exploit mismatches. Take advantage of the talent. Have creative gameplans. This will be as much on Gase as it is on the players.

Superself likes this.
  18. BSQ

This is why we hired Gase. His offense is supposed to be super sophisticated and tough to stop when all the parts are functioning together like a well oiled machine. The problem is, we didn't have the right parts. Now, finally, Gase has Tannehill leading his offense behind a very good (on paper) o-line, he's deep at RB and WR imo and we finally added a legit TE. It's all in on Gase and Tannehill. They'll either do great things together or fail miserably. I see a lot of desire in Tannehill's eyes, he's comin' to play this season. We'll soon see these weapons in action. I can't wait.

Superself, Ray R and joenhre like this.
  19. Russ57

Russ57 Well-Known Member

Look I’m optimistic. But let’s pump the brakes. At RB we have one who was a backup in college and considered unable to handle starting duties. Then we have an over the hill vet. Next we have an underachiever rookie. And some want to call this great RB depth that should terrorize the league. Please.

I could say the same about anything from LB to DT to WR. There’s a reason why Vegas has us where they do. I expect us to prove them wrong but I am a homer.

jnozag and Yessir like this.
  20. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

I think Albert Wilson, Jakeem Grant, and Mike Gesicki would complement each other well in 12-personnel.

Jakeem forces a defense to think and hesitate when he is on a jet sweep action. Kansas City took advantage of that with Tyreek Hill and Albert Wilson by putting the latter in position to lag behind Hill’s sweep action and then take the shovel pass cutting to the inside of the edge-setting defender (who sets the edge really widely because of Tyreek’s speed).

Kansas City also took advantage of Tyreek’s pure speed on go routes to push shell coverage really deep, and then work Albert Wilson underneath it as he had the ability to be really dangerous after the catch. They would also work Tyreek and Albert on opposite sides, forcing the defense to spread out because of their speed, and that gave them room to work Travis Kelce underneath against man or zone coverage.

One thing about Gesicki is when you look at his Penn State tape, for example there were plays against Michigan State that come to mind, they split him out wide and ran him on routes that you'd otherwise see DeVante Parker running in Miami. That's another thing that makes me believe that you could work in a 12-personnel package with Jakeem Grant and Albert Wilson at WR, along with Mike Gesicki and Durham Smythe. You could definitely split Gesicki out wide and turn that into formations you'd otherwise associate with 11-personnel.

That package would give you big pluses in screen blocking. Whatever you think of Mike Gesicki as a blocking tight end, if you were to put him on the perimeter on a Bubble or Tunnel Screen, I'm sure he could be at least as good at blocking as DeVante Parker. We know that both Jakeem Grant and Albert Wilson will block their asses off, although you do have to pay some mind to the matchup. As things stand both Laremy Tunsil and Ja'Wuan James are so mobile that they get out to the perimeter well on those screens, so there's a good inherent team advantage regardless of personnel package. Of course Durham Smythe was a very accomplished blocker himself at Notre Dame.

They key is you're not trapped into screens with that 12-personnel package because they can run other things. With Albert Wilson and Jakeem Grant on opposite sides, you can stretch the field horizontally and vertically, providing space for Gesicki to get open. Depending on the amount of cushion you see, you could take the underneath routes all day. If they're aggressive, you could blow them out with a deep ball easily. You could work the aforementioned jet sweep/shovel pass combo (and I'll remind you that Mike Gesicki has experience with shovel passes at Penn State).

So many things you could do out of this, that you could throw it onto the field for a No Huddle series and have a nice number of options to get out there.

Superself, BSQ, Ray R and 6 others like this.
  21. NBP81

NBP81 Yippi ka yay mother******! Finheaven VIP Donator

Albert Wilson was 15th in the NFL with a 6.7 yards cushion on average, Jakeem Grant didnt make the list due to a lack of targets but I imagine he will get alot of respect in that category in 2018. Thats alot of spacing to work with. Keep in mind that Wilson also led the league in average separation, I know this is correlated to the starting cushion to begin with, but you had his after the catch ability on top of it, defenses are going to have a difficult time handling that package with Grant and Gesicki.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/receiving#average-separation

Ray R likes this.
  22. BSQ

That's exactly what I was thinking. Grant and Wilson on the outside and Gisecki killing teams like Whitten did for years at Dallas or Kelce over in KC. If Grant splits wide they have to account for all that burst coming off the LOS. If he's not doubled he is at the very least accounted for and a CB would have to have some help over the top. Wilson is an equal threat on the other side. The defense has to be prepared for both guys to run straight take offs. That's a lot of focus for the defense and Gase is very good at deploying his receivers in a way as to gain favorable match ups. We could emulate what was done in KC with Hill and Wilson. I can't wait to see 12-personnel deployed with the talent and speed that we can put on the field.

Ray R likes this.
  23. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Finheaven VIP Donator

Haven't seen anyone except you say that.

Ray R and FinaticalOne like this.
  24. Digital

Digital Starter Finheaven VIP

Using the eyeball test, I'd rank them like this.

1. Jakeem Grant … probably by a sizable distance
    2. Albert Wilson
    3. Kenny Stills, close to Wilson
    4. Kenyon Drake, competitive with the top 3
    5. DeVante Parker … not quite as close as he thinks, but if it's a longer run, like the 100 yard dash, he'll be fairly close to the pack.
    6. TJ McDonald … he'd probably give all 5 of them concussions and walk to the finish line. The time wouldn't be impressive, but the film sure would! P.S. Let's hope this NEVER happens!

Ray R and Jimi like this.
  25. zach attach

zach attach A True Fan Donator

Reading all these comments are dangerous for me.
    I'm beginning to feel like our O will be unstoppable.
    And it's too early for me to think this!
    Haha!

Ray R and Finfan4lyfe91 like this.
  26. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

Rather see double TEs with a single back.

I'm sure the OP has used Madden to further research his pipe dreams.

Digital likes this.
  27. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Only thing is, Omar when running at full speed, likes to look straight up, instead of in front of him.

Ray R likes this.
  28. FinaticalOne

FinaticalOne DieHard FinFan 4 Life

LMAO!!!! Let's hope not.

Ray R and Digital like this.
  29. jnozag

jnozag Well-Known Member

ill say it

30. tazthenomad

tazthenomad FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

The original post was about the whole package, not just RB. You just reframed the concept into something different. Yes, if we're just talking RB without all the rest of the speed and options then I wouldn't be nearly as optimistic either.

31. illscriptures

illscriptures We need better LB's

But RB depth is stacked this year. More stacked than it has ever been in the last couple decades it seems. We have a workhorse veteran who has proven what he can do in this league, another seasoned veteran who has flashed more than just average potential often, and a Rookie whose playing style compliments our 2 first RB's.

If Ballage is at least better than Damien Williams (not hard to do) then we have the deepest backfield since Ricky and Ronnie and we only had 2 guys really then.

This is all assuming Ballage is good, which he seems to be. I have an affinity to researching RB prospects out of college and I think this guy shows a lot of good signs like Jay Ajayi did from his Bosie state highlights. Dont get me wrong, Ajayi is the better back and had the better tape but Ballage does show unique ability during the run.

If he can be coached up more he could be a steal. I hate Tannebaum asich as the last guy but he does know how to pick good RB's and CB's.

Ray R likes this.
  32. BSQ

Until they go out and do it it's all talk and potential. But, I have a very strong feeling that this offense will be excellent. I think the D will be fast, scrappy and opportunistic and Special Teams should be loaded with new, faster talent. If we can put these pieces together and stay away from devastating injuries we'll be a very good football team.

As far as the RBs, if Gore and Drake can give us what they did last year we'll be in great shape. Of course, Gore is new to our system but vets like him have it together amazingly fast. If Ballage can get 4 or 5 touches a game he'll be lucky. I expect that he'll shine when given opportunities.

33. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

I've seen Gazelles get run down and eaten up...no thank you.

34. BSQ

I'm fine with any name for the package. 12-personnel works! Do you like the Chita better? Nobody's catching Chitas!

Ray R likes this.
  35. Ray R

Ray R FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

A really informative post, I like it!

ckparrothead likes this.
  36. Ray R

Ray R FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Not feeling well?

37. BSQ

I'm the O.P. and I've never seen or played the Madden game in my life so be careful of what you think you're sure of. What I did say is that it's fun to speculate about certain formations or schemes we might try now that we have more speed. I think some others are enjoying the thread. Are you saying our base offense should be 2 TE and a single back? I've got nothing against old school, in fact, I like it, but with all the speed we have at Receiver I think we need to roll out some cooler stuff than 2 TEs.

Ray R likes this.
  38. BSQ

39. MercMan

MercMan Needs more cowbell Finheaven VIP Donator

Wishbone all day long, baby!!!!!!!!! Worked with Cszonka, Kiick, and Morris.

40. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

I really get very curious why Miami's offense is viewed to be bad. It's clear they have depth. So I guess people are like, yeah but they have no stars.

Except Kenyan Drake from the time Ajayi was traded through the end of the year...was a star. That's what he was. We're talking 123 carries for 619 yards, 3 TDs, with 29 catches for 232 yards and another TD.

What do you call 95 yards and 0.5 TDs per game on 17 touches, including 5.0 yards per carry?

Over a full season that works out to 219 carries for 1,100 yards, 6 rushing TDs, with 52 catches for 412 yards and 2 more TDs. Just putting it into FF terms, that would've made him the #7 RB in fantasy football, standard PPR scoring. Right up there with guys like LeSean McCoy, Mark Ingram, Melvin Gordon, Kareem Hunt.

So there's your star right there.

And as for the pass catching weapons, there are a ton of them. Kenny Stills has the highest yards per target from the slot of any WR in the NFL over the last 5 years. Jakeem Grant has the highest yards per target from the perimeter of any WR in the NFL over the last 5 years, plus the second highest yards per route figure. Albert Wilson last year was pretty much second only to Jakeem in terms of broken tackles per catch, and created the highest separation per catch of any player receiving target in the NFL. As a slot receiver, Danny Amendola's yards per target in 2017 was basically higher than what Jarvis Landry does in his BEST work. Add DeVante Parker and Mike Gesicki to the mix?

With Laremy Tunsil and Ja'Wuan James as your book-ends, Josh Sitton at left guard?

People act like the offense is going to be bad and it's nonsensical.