michael westbrook | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

michael westbrook

Originally posted by Bodzilla29
People people people.....
What is the one trait that alomost all of our players we have brought in have since Wann-Spiel took over? Good Character!!!

Listen, if there was a perceived problem with the guy and Norv didn't like him and didn't want him here, you know he would have spoken up and put an end to those rumors.

If you ask me, the only way he would get signed is if Norv gave him the ok. And since these rumors actually came out, you have to imagine there is at least minimal interest.

There's also the possibility that we're leaking the rumors for the purpose of lowering the price of potential clients. If our sights are set on Antonio Freeman, then it makes sense to float Mike Westbrooks name to the media.

But I think that character (or lack thereof) will be the deciding factor. Oh yeah, and $$$ too.

True, but if character were an issue Freeman wouldn't even be on the radar. I am assuming you may have just thrown Freeman's name in there because he will probobly be available.....

I'm not completely sold on us definately signing a WR, but I wouldn't mind seeing one brought in. I'd take Westbrook over Freeman, but I'd take Willie Jackson over the both of them. Hopefully the rumors that McCardell is definately going to Tampa Bay have no substance.

Here is my WR rankings:
1)McCardell
2)Jackson
3)Westbrook
4)Freeman

I wouldn't even think of paying any of them over $1.5M. Too many questiona about all of them, although McCardell seems to be the most solid of them all.

I've watched Westbrook in DC for a long time. He's not always injured, although that has been a problem. He's been a real dissapointment. Although he's been the #1 reciever for a long time, Rod Gardner would have almost certainly passed him this year. The fans in Washington really are no longer behind him. This is probably the real reason the skins haven't resigned him. I think I read in the Post that one of the reason he hasn't caught on with another team is his asking price is higher than it should be. Although these things don't bode well I would be in favor of signing Westbrook if we could. Here's why.

He has alot of potential and he always seemed poised to breakout. He did have one good year in 1999, Norv Turner's last full year as the head coach. Let's consider what happened that year. You may not remeber this, but that year the Redskins were really a great offensive team. They had a solid QB in Brad Johnson, something Westbrook hadn't had in career yet, and hasn't had since.
In 2000 Johnson was injured, struggled and was run out of town by Dan Snyder. Westbrook's other QB were Heath Shuler, Gus Ferrotte, Trent Green, Jeff George, and Tony Banks. Trent Green clearly is the best of the buch and you'll notice by looking at his 98 numbers that he'd played very well with Green but missed some games with injuries. I think Jay Feidler is a much better QB than Trent Green and probably Johnson. It' s not a stretch to think he'll play well if he gets a decent quarterback again.

Let's get back to 1999. Going into that season Skip Hicks was excpected to be the starting halfback for the team. Hicks was, and is still, a solid player. But he was nothing special. And he was beaten out in camp for the starting RB job by Stephen Davis who at that point was only known for fighting with Michael Westbrook. Davis turned out to be RB in the league that year, including Marshall Faulk (that was the year the Rams won the SB), at least from a running standpoint. He ran for 1400 yards and had and ran for an amazing 17 touchdowns. That's amazing. By comparison, Marshall Faulk had 12 total tocudowns (running and recieving), and Edgerrian James had 13. Basically my point is he succedded when the skins had a great power running game. Hopefully with Ricky we will have a power running game.

Also in washington he was always the top reciever. In Miami he probably would be the #2 guy behind Chambers. How will he play if he's not being covered by a teams # 1 corner most of the time? How will he do with an offense run by the coach he likes? How will he do in an offense more similar to the one he had in 99 than the Tony Banks/Gus Ferrotte eras? I don't know but I want to find out.

With all the WRs that are going to be available post June 1, it is probobly going to be a buyers market, and that means that if a player wants to play next season he is going to have to drop his price tag.

Willie Jackson would be a 49er by now, and in all likelyhood would be their 2nd WR by the end of training camp, but he is asking for too much green.

Westbrook, mls737 I'll take your word on this, is also asking for too much money and has yet to sign on elsewhere.

They are the biggest WR names out there right now and haven't been able to land a deal to their liking yet. Now, when even more WRs become available, do you think teams are all of a sudden going to pay what the players want, when hypothetically they can get an equal player for less? NO.

June should be an interesting month as far as where these wideouts go and how much they are able to squeeze out of their potential employers.

Originally posted by SWS84
I'm for signing Westbrook! The guy has strength, size and attitude! We need some guys who are a little ****y. I'm not saying I want a locker room cancer, but if he is willing to knock a few defenders on their butts while Ricky is toting the rock than I'm all for it.

Westbrook doesn't block.

Yeah, never thought about it though. He hasn't had a really good QB. Brad Johnson was his best? Man, even Jay Fiedler would make him look really good. Especially with Norv.

Hey scotgif

Originally posted by scotgif
Hey SWS84, your user name is very famailiar. What board do I recognize you from??

As far as this user name goes, this is the only place I use it. I'm not sure why, but this user name is actually my initials followed by 84 to honor Chris Chambers.

:D :cool: :D

Back
Top Bottom