Micheal Dieter Played Well? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Micheal Dieter Played Well?

I might be wrong but most of the more successful runs came from the right side of the line.

How did Prince do? Didn't get a chance to watch the game. Any realistic chance that he could crack the starting lineup and be effective?

Both guards are rookies...neither is Nelson. Expect to take lumps while they play, expect them to have struggles. There are reasons these guys get drafted in round three or not at all, they have holes in their game. The hope is, the coaching is good enough to make them competent...competent would be a massive upgrade over the last 5 years.

How did Prince do? Didn't get a chance to watch the game. Any realistic chance that he could crack the starting lineup and be effective?
Yes, the alternatives just aren't that much better

He's young...he did ok last night and will continue to improve.
I think so too. I think he looks like a rookie so far, which is fine. Has his ups and downs. One thing to remember is he got a lot of time vs. back ups this game, but we'll see in the next game, when starters play more. We'll see a lot at all positions but Deiter will be one to watch for real improvement against starters. Even if he struggles more this game it provides learning tape for him. You are right, it is still pre season for a rookie and we have to remain patient.

See so much more when you run thru the tape on slow motion and watch one guy - 91 is a nice grade for an offensive lineman it's like super elite - not that I follow PFF that much.

He doing great. I gotta think that playing interior offensive line is one of the toughest transitions from college to pro. Not only learning the playbook but then trying to do it all against savvy, super strong guys when you haven’t even adjusted to the speed yet. There’s no easing into that. He’s holding his own which is very impressive imo.

Thought he put in a couple solid weeks..He’s athletically limited, but better than what we’ve had for that position in a long time, which isn’t saying much but, he seems to be developing some chemistry with Tunsil, and he’s doing a decent job of centering his opponent and staying off the ground.

Last edited:
So I saw 18 snaps for Rosen and Deiter did very well in those snaps, plus another 4 or so for Fitz, where he also did well. I think the PFF grade is probably pretty accurate. IMHO, in preseason game 1 Deiter also played well, but I think PFF confused Reed (C - #64) with Deiter (LG - #63), when PFF graded Reed as a G with the highest rating along our OL.

In this weeks game I saw Tampa include a lot of stunts/twists and late pressure, which is unusual for preseason games, particularly game 2. To Deiter's credit, he handed off his guys very well … but on occasion his linemates didn't do well. One Deiter correctly handed off a guy inside to Reed and Reed never picked him up, so it may have looked to viewers as though the guy beat Deiter, but really it was a blown assignment by Reed. Similarly Deiter handed off a guy to the LT once and the LT didn't pick him up. Another time Deiter let a runner go free who was assigned to be picked up by the RB in pass pro, and the RB picked him up. In each occasion Deiter executed his assignment correctly, but when a defender runs by an OL, it is natural to see that as a blown play by the nearest OL.

Deiter did very well picking up those stunts and passing off men. A few plays he had to pass off multiple guys and re-engage new players and hand them off, all in the same play, which is very tough for a young OL. Deiter handled it with aplomb. He often looked ugly or struggling carrying out his assignments, so I can see how people might not be instilled with confidence … but Deiter looks like a gem to me. He plays exactly like a Patriot OL who does his job consistently well, even if he never looks like a Pro Bowler doing it. These are exactly the type of OL draftees I was hoping to get when brought in all of those former Patriot coaches.

I don't want to get my hopes up too much, but it looks like we finally drafted a reliable, healthy, solid OL who blows open run lanes, blocks downfield, consistently wins 1v1's in the passing game, handles stunts well, rarely gets flagged, and is healthy almost every game. Yet, he has a tendency to 'win ugly' so he's not going to be a potential All-Pro guy, thus he'll remain affordable as a good solution along the OL for his entire career. Wow, 10 years of solid OL play who almost never misses a game … that would be incredible.

Both guards are rookies...neither is Nelson. Expect to take lumps while they play, expect them to have struggles. There are reasons these guys get drafted in round three or not at all, they have holes in their game. The hope is, the coaching is good enough to make them competent...competent would be a massive upgrade over the last 5 years.
True, but sometimes it's not so much holes as ceilings. Deiter is very good at literally everything, but he's not athletic enough or long enough to be great. He's not a guy with unlimited potential. Rather, Deiter is a guy who is very productive but not a special athlete.

I doubt he's at the top of ballots for All-Pro no matter how well he performs. He has solid athleticism. The thing is … at his best he might become Larry Bird ... a guy with some physical gifts but not a great athlete and if you look at his potential, he's not your top pick … but he just keeps winning because his form is right and his solid play is uncannily consistent. Watch one game and you're simply not that impressed. Watch 10 games and you're amazed. Look at his stats and you're blown away. He'll never jump off the film as the ultra-dominant player … but he's like a batter who hits .400 … consistently good, and very useful. Watch Laremy Tunsil for 10 minutes and you can see he has HoF potential, and it's hard not to drool watching him play--Tunsil looks absolutely dominant. If he plays consistently, the sky is the limit, and everyone can see it. No matter how poor he ever does, there will always be coaches in this league who want him and are convinced they can coax consistent play out of his awesome potential. Deiter is the opposite of Tunsil. Deiter is an NFL athlete, but not a special one. He wins, but doesn't usually look too dominant. He's sound, consistent, durable, reliable, but not spectacular. He's a lesser version of Zack Martin, but he's no Quentin Nelson. He's certainly not the next Randy McDaniel.

But having a solid producing and reliable LG for the next 10 years at an affordable cap number … is a fantastic find in round 3.

Heading appears to be wrong. It's Deiter and in Wikipedia he's listed at 325 lbs of Wisconsin beef. Definitely not a dieter.

I really liked the pick and had high hope for him. Hopefully he plans out.

Back
Top Bottom