Mike Gesicki Blocking? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike Gesicki Blocking?

I merged the threads. Both are asking about Gesickis blocking

It's irrelevant. Phins drafted 2 TEs . One has great hands for catching, the other has great hands to control his opponent. Miami did a great job covering that position and their responsibilities.

We didn' draft him to block, we drafted him to catch and make the offense dynamic and prolific. We drafted Smythe to block.

Nobody cares about the way Ertz, Graham, Gates, Olsen or Any other pass catching TE blocks....its cuz Miami drafted Geisecki so the talking heads want to bash the Fins because it's en vogue. Don' pay any attention to the bumbling talking heads....

Geisecki will be a star and a matchup nightmare and will make life easier for DVP, KS10 and RT17. When he increases our 3rd down efficiency and red zone efficiency nobody will talk about his blocking ability!

I do think with time his blocking could improve, but honestly I wouldn' be concerned about that, especially if it took away from his catching ability.

His blocking definitely needs to improve. If all he does is catch passes then that sort of makes your offense, and him, predictable. He has to be able to hold his own on plays just as a blocker. I with you though. I think he has the frame and seems to have the willingness to get better...

For so long we've waited for a tight end to rival the likes of Gates, Gronkowski, Witten, Kelce, Graham etc and it sure as hell hasn't been their blocking we've been missing out on.

By the way, the second TE we picked up catches the ball a lot better than he has been credited for.
IMO, both GESICKI & SMYTHE are being underrated for the opposite reasons. GESICKI is a willing blocker that should improve with coaching & experience. SMYTHE is vastly underrated as a receiver. They are going to be an awesome tandem, probably our best 1 & 2 TE's we have EVER had. I can't think of a better pair compared to what these two guys potential can be.

Would we rather have Goedart?
While I had the two TEs, Gesicki and Goedert, as 1b and 1a respectively, I don’t know if I was too worried that we picked one instead of the other. If I’m being honest I figured we would be lucky to snag one of them, assuming that the other would have been taken already. Never really considered the possibility of having our pick of the two.

He will have people forgetting about his blocking soon enough. When he is moving the chains down the seems and catching jump balls for TDs. What blocking??? We now have a DYNAMIC TE, FINALLY!!!

Ge"sick"i = Sick as in FREAK of an athlete

*** Taller than Calvin Johnson
*** Stronger than Donald Penn
*** Faster than Antonio Brown
*** Jumps higher than Odell Beckham Jr

If thats not SICK for a TE, I'm not sure what is....

Oh and did I mention:
Gesicki led in ALL TE categories at the combine, did you read that, ALL, led in the bench press (23 reps), vertical jump (41.5 inches), broad jump (10-9), three-cone drill (6.72), 20-yard shuttle (4.10), and 60-yard shuttle (11.33), while tying for fastest time in the 40-yard dash with a 4.54.

Again, SICK

After watching several vids on him since we drafted him, his poor blocking really stood out. What was more shocking to me was not his ability to block or his desire to try, but he just looks soft! He got man handled when blocking. That's a concern to me!

How many times have you seen a TE get completely tossed aside like a 5th grader by a DE resulting in a sack, only to have it pointed out after the play..."you have no chance to block that DE with a tight end, total mismatch"...

If you're assigning a TE to block a DE, that ball has to come out of the QB's hands pronto. You're not doing that with the assumption you're going to have time to work progressions.

I think a lot of the blocking talk regarding TE's, whether it be positive or negative, is more of a description of how often they were asked to do it. As opposed to bottom line ability to do it.

If blocking is what you're worried about, then put another offensive tackle out there. Otherwise, tight ends are used to control safeties in the passing game.

The only way you can be considered a great blocker and a great receiver at TE, is if you're O.J. Howard at Alabama and being asked to block every play. Meanwhile, being completely under utilized in the passing game.

Usually the best you can hope for from a tight end weapon nowdays in terms of blocking is simply interference blocking. If you can do that, you'll be fine in my opinion. Just don't whiff. Show some effort.

Ultimately, you're going to be paid according to how effective you are putting 6 points on the board.

An excellent post!

I am guessing that Duarte will be a camp cut if not sooner. I had actually hope to see him a bit more....but his blocking was a much larger concern.

Here is a draft analysis video of Mike Gesicki against Michigan. What I encourage you to look at is his blocking. While it is not good, it is being commented on as if it is non-existant or as if he simply has no ability to block. I noted 8 attempted blocks in the run game and 1 in the passing game in this clip. In this video Gesicki was successful in 5 of his 8 run blocks, with his lack of success being attributable to lack of effort IMHO. He was successful in his one pass protection.

My belief is that Gesicki's lack of run blocking prowess stems from a lack of urgency. The closer he is to the play, the better he blocks. When the play is designed to go away from him, he does not put in as much effort, leading to his man easily disengaging, and sometimes making the play after shedding the block. I contend that with proper coaching, he will understand the need to have that urgency, and with practice he will become a much improved blocker in the run game. He already has the ability and more desire in pass protection.

Here are the times of the blocks:
0:19, 0:42, 2:21, 2:37, 3:08 & 3:18 better angle replay, 3:59, 4:22, 5:02. The good blocks are in Aqua and the bad blocks are in Orange.

There are also a couple of highlight catches by Gesicki at 0:35 and 3:03 and he jumps over his QB in celebration at 3:17 if you are interested.

Every one talks about urgency. You not only talked about it but also gave some concrete examples that really define it. Thanks for a solid post.

It’ll be fun watching gesicki get out on the perimeter against smaller Cb’s. He’s gonna feast everywhere they put him.

I'm so excited for this kid to come in and threaten the seam, I can't wait.

We need to start him out with 2 knee braces a precautionary measure against the POS's who play in our division. I can already see them going right at his knees.

Back
Top Bottom