Mike Hull Re-signed. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike Hull Re-signed.

Where are all these young players with upside that play for 1M/per?
I mean draftees, UDFA's, young players cut, and practice squad players. IMHO, we'll be loading up on those sorts of players. Lots will not be with us by game 1 of 2020, but I expect a LOT of new faces. Not saying they're going to be good, just saying that I think they will get a chance to show that their raw athletic talent can be developed.

I fully expect to be a lot worse next year, but this will be part of the process of trying to unearth some gems. Someone like Mike Hull is a dutiful soldier and you know what you are going to get with him … few mistakes. But that's just not what a rebuilding team is about.

I mean draftees, UDFA's, young players cut, and practice squad players. IMHO, we'll be loading up on those sorts of players. Lots will not be with us by game 1 of 2020, but I expect a LOT of new faces. Not saying they're going to be good, just saying that I think they will get a chance to show that their raw athletic talent can be developed.

I fully expect to be a lot worse next year, but this will be part of the process of trying to unearth some gems. Someone like Mike Hull is a dutiful soldier and you know what you are going to get with him … few mistakes. But that's just not what a rebuilding team is about.
Mike Hull fits exactly the mold you just described... Rebuilding has nothing to do with the 3rd string special team players, thats not the part where teams say: "Gee! We really ****ed up on how the bottom of our roster looks..."

Mike Hull fits exactly the mold you just described... Rebuilding has nothing to do with the 3rd string special team players, thats not the part where teams say: "Gee! We really ****ed up on how the bottom of our roster looks..."

I mean its amazing that people are complaining about an undersized mid to late 20s LB with a minimal deal being a problem signing.

If watching this dude day in and day out go to work and be in the middle of everything and give his all on specials inspires just one UDFA or late round pick . . . .the signing was well worth it.

You need these type of guys in camp for your young players. If he clearly outplays them he wins the job but if its close then you give the nod to the young player.

Any other analysis is just overthinking the entire process.

Actually I think it's more like the guy with 4.4 speed and physical attributes but not polished football skills, or the guy who has talent but discipline issues, or the guy who played at a low level of competition and needs time to adjust to the NFL level. Those are the types total rebuilds put in those peripheral spots. Yes, they tend to be less good at the special teams and such, but the real goal for them isn't to field the best team this year, but rather to find a few of them who are gems and can be developed. Mike hull is a good instinctive LB, but he's very light and despite having decent speed he doesn't have the best change of direction and coverage skills. He's maxxed out as a good special teamer. I really liked the guy at Penn State, but he just can't be as productive in the NFL. Good guy … but I doubt he makes the opening day roster.

I see the team leaning more towards someone like Chase Allen, who has the size and speed, but needs experience to adjust to the NFL game.

Actually I think it's more like the guy with 4.4 speed and physical attributes but not polished football skills, or the guy who has talent but discipline issues, or the guy who played at a low level of competition and needs time to adjust to the NFL level. Those are the types total rebuilds put in those peripheral spots. Yes, they tend to be less good at the special teams and such, but the real goal for them isn't to field the best team this year, but rather to find a few of them who are gems and can be developed. Mike hull is a good instinctive LB, but he's very light and despite having decent speed he doesn't have the best change of direction and coverage skills. He's maxxed out as a good special teamer. I really liked the guy at Penn State, but he just can't be as productive in the NFL. Good guy … but I doubt he makes the opening day roster.

I see the team leaning more towards someone like Chase Allen, who has the size and speed, but needs experience to adjust to the NFL game.
At most positions, the starters will be backup players and their backups will most probably look lost on a pro football field. In other words, 3rd string players on a tanking team shouldnt even be a point of discussion, especially on the type of contract Hull got...

Is this a rhetorical question. I won’t legitimize it with an answer.

You said he was better than Larry Izzo and I asked at what? How is this a rhetorical question?
Izzo probably had more special teams tackles than any player in NFL history and made the pro bowl three times as a special teamer. I have no issue that you think he was better which I certainly do not agree but not sure why my question was not a legitimate one.

Back
Top Bottom