Mike Mayock on Ryan Tannehill and the Miami Dolphins: ‘You miss that one this whole r | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike Mayock on Ryan Tannehill and the Miami Dolphins: ‘You miss that one this whole r

If Sherman had the confidence in Tannehill (he would eventually be a top 10 talent) than Tannehill would not have been a backup QB or switched to WR. I hope we take the BPA or drop down and add more talent.

If Sherman had the confidence in Tannehill (he would eventually be a top 10 talent) than Tannehill would not have been a backup QB or switched to WR. I hope we take the BPA or drop down and add more talent.

While you may be correct, I'm not a fan of this sort of speculative argument for the simple fact that things can change in two years. College freshmen, especially, can change in two years.

That's a pretty dumb thing to say IMO. You're suppose to swing at any quarterback you have a shot at till you get the one who's taking you over the top. Let's not pretend like the Steelers knew what they had in Ben (dude was a huge project), that the Chargers knew what they had in Rivers.

I think Tannehill has as much ability as both of them, but his development will be key here and if we swing and miss then you just have to keep swinging some more.

Hell, quarterbacks are coming out in drafts in bunches now that even the Vikings nor the Titans have much loyalty to their first round quarterbacks.

Totally agree with this...

We blew our Best Shot at obtaining a franchise QA through free agency when we let Brees go to the Saints. Top 10, "Franchise QBs" are not available in free agency very often... There was Brees in 2006(?) and then I can't think of any others in that class until Manning. So if there is only ONE "Top 10 franchise QB" available in free agency every 5ish years, and Miami is only one of a half dozen or so teams looking to land him. How long will it be until Miami lands a "Top 10 franchise QB"? A 1 in 6 chance every 3-5 years? Those odds suck...

If we want that "Top 10 franchise QB", Miami needs to draft the Best QB available until we find him. If we strike out on Tannehill, so what? Whether he pans out or not, he's not going start in 2012 anyway... If, by the end of 2012, we aren't confident he is "the one", go after the Best QB available again 2013. Rinse and Repeat until we get our guy.

As much as I hate reaching for a player we have swung and missed so many damn times trying to find a franchise QB that I now agree that we have to start drafting the best QB avail until we find a winner

We blew our Best Shot at obtaining a franchise QA through free agency when we let Brees go to the Saints. Top 10, "Franchise QBs" are not available in free agency very often... There was Brees in 2006(?) and then I can't think of any others in that class until Manning. So if there is only ONE "Top 10 franchise QB" available in free agency every 5ish years, and Miami is only one of a half dozen or so teams looking to land him. How long will it be until Miami lands a "Top 10 franchise QB"? A 1 in 6 chance every 3-5 years? Those odds suck...

If we want that "Top 10 franchise QB", Miami needs to draft the Best QB available until we find him. If we strike out on Tannehill, so what? Whether he pans out or not, he's not going start in 2012 anyway... If, by the end of 2012, we aren't confident he is "the one", go after the Best QB available again 2013. Rinse and Repeat until we get our guy.

Keep wasting 1st round picks on QBs til you get it right? Are you out of your mind? That will get GM's fired every 3 years. Makes no ****ing sense.

Lets keep picking Brady Quinns and by passing the next Patrick Willis. Thank god you and others aren't professional FO people. You would end up w/ a short career and the laughing stock of the league.

Roethlisberger was considered the most-NFL ready of all the QBs in the 2004 draft. QUOTE]

Hahahahahahahaha

No. Just no. Do you even remember when Big Ben was taken? Here's a hint, it was the same year as Eli Manning, who was on the same level as Andrew Luck/Peyton Manning as a prospect.

That's a pretty dumb thing to say IMO. You're suppose to swing at any quarterback you have a shot at till you get the one who's taking you over the top. Let's not pretend like the Steelers knew what they had in Ben (dude was a huge project), that the Chargers knew what they had in Rivers.

I think Tannehill has as much ability as both of them, but his development will be key here and if we swing and miss then you just have to keep swinging some more.

Hell, quarterbacks are coming out in drafts in bunches now that even the Vikings nor the Titans have much loyalty to their first round quarterbacks.

Totally agree.

He can't even beat the better college teams, how in the heck is going to win in England, Pittsburgh and Baltimore? The same fans that are yelling to take Tannehill are going to be the same ones why is it taking him so long to be an upgrade over Moore, and be a starter for the Dolphins!

Keep wasting 1st round picks on QBs til you get it right? Are you out of your mind? That will get GM's fired every 3 years. Makes no ****ing sense.

Lets keep picking Brady Quinns and by passing the next Patrick Willis. Thank god you and others aren't professional FO people. You would end up w/ a short career and the laughing stock of the league.

"Keep wasting 1st round picks on QBs til you get it right?" Yes. Otherwise we're just doing the same thing we've been doing for over a decade... We haven't drafted a QB in the first round since Marino. Since then, how many trips has YOUR strategy of NOT drafting a QB in the first round gotten us? You think we should draft more linemen? Oh, I know. We shoud grab a linebacker or WR in the first round, thats gonna get us over the hump fer sure!. ... :rolleyes2: Please, if you're so enlightened, then how exactly do you propose we find a franchise QB?

"Keep wasting 1st round picks on QBs til you get it right?" Yes. Otherwise we're just doing the same thing we've been doing for over a decase... We haven't drafted a QB in the fisrt round since Marino. Since then, how many trips has YOUR strategy of NOT drafting a QB in the first round gotten us? You think we should draft more linemen? Oh, I know. We shoud grab a linebacker or WR in the first round, thats gonna get us over the hump fer sure!. ... :rolleyes2: Please, if you're so enlightened, then how exactly do you propose we find a franchise QB?

Also of note is that every QB that we drafted in the first round since the merger is currently in the Hall of Fame.

Also of note is that every QB that we drafted in the first round since the merger is currently in the Hall of Fame.
And why wouldn't we want another one of those? After all, we've had great success with the QB being the second priority.

No problem...it was discussed here 2 days ago as well....

lol-1.jpg

Post of the thread so far. Ignore the Jr. GMs on Finheaven. They've got this nasty little quarterback issue all figured out :lol:

The mistake a lot of previous regimes have made is "sticking with their guy" through thick and thin, regardless of whether it was apparent to the rest of the world that they were not going to develop into franchise (or even decent) QBs.

It really doesn't take that long to figure out whether a guy has it or not. Both Sherman and Philbin have been around great QBs. If Tannehill isn't developing, there is no logical reason to stick with him for the rest of their careers. The nice thing about the new rookie wage scale is that teams aren't set back years by drafting a QB early on. It's far easier to move on now.

The money is not the only variable involved here. If you take Tannehill at # 1 and he bombs you seriously run the risk of missing out on a top notch NFL star at another position.
You have to evaluate every player and how they fit.
Taking a QB in the first round just to have one is very flawed logic.
That is suicide for every GM.

The money is not the only variable involved here. If you take Tannehill at # 1 and he bombs you seriously run the risk of missing out on a top notch NFL star at another position.
You have to evaluate every player and how they fit.
Taking a QB in the first round just to have one is very flawed logic.
That is suicide for every GM.
I agree, I was just arguing that it doesn't set your team back years like it used to. Taking a QB isn't the risk it used to be. Not drafting a QB in the first round EVER because it's too high a risk is a far more flawed logic. Taking the safe pick every year keeps you balanced safely between 7-9 and 9-7.

Back
Top Bottom