Mike Williams and Clarett could be in the draft after all... | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike Williams and Clarett could be in the draft after all...

dolfanreal69 said:
:sosad: Well sure we Paramedic have a bad reputation, to be sure, in some circles. :evil: However , the insanity started it ends the same with the lawyers cleaning up. Hey i guess we are both garbage men at some times in our chosen professions. I just would hope that ethics would be as important to a lawyer as it is a Paramedic. I am sure it is in some circles. However they never made a movie called "The Devils Advocate"about Paramedics. LOL! To quote my dad, here is my opinion on Clarrett,"You cna't polish a turd"
Dolfanreal69

Believe it or not, my sister-in-law's husband hates paramedics. Then again, he's a real dick.

Don't get me wrong -- there are bad people who are lawyers. I'm sure you know there are even bad people who are paramedics, though I suspect that it doesn't come through in their work like it does with lawyers.

I love your dad's line on Clarett, btw. It's so true. I think he's going to be the next Lawrence Phillips or Cecil Collins when all is said and done. That's really sad if it works out that way, but it's not like the kid had no chances.

eltos_lightfoot said:
Discrimination is not inherently repugnant, especially where private industry is concerned. If someone doesn't like the rules of the NFL, they can go start up their own league. It is not an enterprise of the government. It is like Augusta not admitting women, or having Girl and Boy Scouts. You don't like it? Don't support it. This is supposed to be America after all.
By what you are saying. Dicrimination is alright. We are not talking about private clubs like Augusta. They are not a business as the NFL is. However America is built on hypocrisy and what suits us best at the time.

Any corporation will now be able to put stupid criterias in their hiring policy. Today its age, what makes anyone believe race could not follow?

Both may still end up playing in the NFL this year. SD has to be loving this, since they can have Williams later this year if things change. Sucks for Miami because that is one less person to be drafted in front of them.

Dphins4me said:
By what you are saying. Dicrimination is alright. We are not talking about private clubs like Augusta. They are not a business as the NFL is. However America is built on hypocrisy and what suits us best at the time.

I hope that the person you were responding to was speaking of discrimination like insurance companies discriminating against those who have 2 accidents a year. Discrimination in and of itself is not wrong. The word has the evil connotation because there were asshats in the past who discriminated based on stupid crap like skin color or sex organs when that wasn't warranted.

If he was talking about illegal discrimination, then the NFL certainly would not be allowed to engage in it due to the current interpretation of the commerce clause of the Constitution. Even private organizations can't discriminate unless the organization meets rather rigid standards. The KKK can discriminate by not letting a black guy in, but the Rotary club probably cannot. Augusta National Golf Club came up in my Constitutional Law class, and the dean of the school who taught the class indicated that he thought Augusta probably wouldn't withstand scrutiny if the Georgia legislature passed a law barring sex discrimination in membership to private organizations.

Jimmy James said:
I hope that the person you were responding to was speaking of discrimination like insurance companies discriminating against those who have 2 accidents a year. Discrimination in and of itself is not wrong. The word has the evil connotation because there were asshats in the past who discriminated based on stupid crap like skin color or sex organs when that wasn't warranted.

If he was talking about illegal discrimination, then the NFL certainly would not be allowed to engage in it due to the current interpretation of the commerce clause of the Constitution. Even private organizations can't discriminate unless the organization meets rather rigid standards. The KKK can discriminate by not letting a black guy in, but the Rotary club probably cannot. Augusta National Golf Club came up in my Constitutional Law class, and the dean of the school who taught the class indicated that he thought Augusta probably wouldn't withstand scrutiny if the Georgia legislature passed a law barring sex discrimination in membership to private organizations.

The interstate commerce clause has caused more problems than anything in the history of Con law...IMO...

Well, I think that's a bit harsh. We have a bunch of laymen, a first year law student, and a lawyer participating here. The lawyer called it right. The law student by admission was more interested in making moral arguments than discussing the law. The laymen were mostly engaged in moral arguments as well.

One thing I'll say to wrap up is that I think the NFL's legal argument was disingenuous based on the news accounts I have seen. I don't for one second believe that they would boot Clarett/Williams out of the league after they were drafted. Maybe I'm wrong about how seriously the NFL is taking this, though.

I'm just wondering if we'll get a retraction from Keith Box on his statements about "flaming liberal" Ruth Bader Ginzberg. I find it awefully ironic that because Box is a conservative and happens to think the rule should be kept, he assumed that supreme court justice Ginzberg, appointed by the Clinton administration, must automatically have a view contrary to his own, yet she ruled in favor of the NFL...

Back
Top Bottom