Mike Williams and Clarett could be in the draft after all... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike Williams and Clarett could be in the draft after all...

If you graduate early, I would think it would. Honestly, I'm not positive I have ever seen the text of the rule.

It seems that Judge Scheindlin quoted it in her opinion as, "For college football players seeking special eligibility, at least three NFL seasons must have elapsed since the player was graduated from high school." If that is the rule, I think we can see how vague it is and how the Fitzgerald issue really did open up a can of worms. As I understand it, he got a pass because he could have graduated the year before he did. Is that something a player could count on in the future? What is the NFL's exposure to a future lawsuit if they don't give a person in a similar position the same treatment?

Jimmy James said:
I want to make clear I'm not arguing for no rule. I'm arguing for a good rule. I'm arguing for one that doesn't punish a guy in Clarett's position when other 22 year olds can come out. I could live with age, but I think it would really be far simpler to just make the combine mandatory and require certain benchmarks as proof that the potential player in question is ready for the NFL. How does that degrade the game?
The kid from USC Kenechi Udeze who will be a top 15 pick, is a just turned 21 year old (03/05/83)

The NFL is opening their arms to him, while a man who will turn 22 in a few more months is being told. You are not ready for the NFL. You are only a Soph. in college.

If anybody cares, it looks like age might not work as a rule due to the Haywood case and others. In fact, I wonder if that is why the NFL came up with this bogus rule we have now...

Maybe what we ought to do is make sure...

that they actually attend classes in the first place. 22 years old and only a sophomore, gets in trouble and gets kicked off the team, so he's going to play with the pros. Sounds like he's really got a lot on the ball to me. :shakeno:

RevRick,

I think most of us agree about Clarett himself being a real twit. For me, this is really all about the greater issue.

Jimmy James said:
If anybody cares, it looks like age might not work as a rule due to the Haywood case and others. In fact, I wonder if that is why the NFL came up with this bogus rule we have now...
Most likely.

Well like in most endevors the fact lawyers are involved with it at all shows the realitve lack of common sense in the world in general. Sure i will anger those who lawyers here, but i am not alone in my stance that you can argue till the cows come home and still be wrong. The fact this moron is even being considered a prospect speaks volumes about the stupidity of some teams. Hey i once played safety in high school i am declareing for the draft too. I still run a 5.0 40. Hey i havent went to jail in my carreer so maybe i do not qualify? So i will let this alone to people who thinks Clarrett means anything in the scope of thing. Cause simply put by Jimmy Stewart, " In whlole mass configureation of things, your nothing but a scurvey little spider." Dolfanreal69

dolfanreal69 said:
Sure i will anger those who lawyers here, but i am not alone in my stance

Hey, we have misinformed opinions about your line of work, too. :tongue:

Seriously, the only point I'd like to make is that the insanity quite often starts before the lawyers ever get involved. It's not like the people in the profession I hope to join actually seek these situations out or try to create them. I'm not saying you should weep for the lawyers, but try to put yourself in the shoes of the people they represent. If you were in the shoes a guy like Clarett is in, wouldn't you want to know somebody was willing to zealously represent your interests? Clarett is the one who screwed his situation up so badly -- his lawyer is basically just doing damage control in the best ethical way possible.

Dphins4me said:
This kills me. People will support discrimination because they believe it is for a good reason.

I do wonder if this was not a professional sport, instead it was Microsoft (As the other poster used) and they said you had to be 35 before you could work for them. How many would support that?

Wouldn't Microsoft have the right to protect itself from younger people because they are afraid someone young would be more tempted to steal industry secrets?

This is not about what is good for the NFL, and I could care less if Clarett is playing 2 years from now. Its his life for screw up.

Its about what is right and wrong.

Discrimination is not inherently repugnant, especially where private industry is concerned. If someone doesn't like the rules of the NFL, they can go start up their own league. It is not an enterprise of the government. It is like Augusta not admitting women, or having Girl and Boy Scouts. You don't like it? Don't support it. This is supposed to be America after all.

RevRick said:
that they actually attend classes in the first place. 22 years old and only a sophomore, gets in trouble and gets kicked off the team, so he's going to play with the pros. Sounds like he's really got a lot on the ball to me. :shakeno:

Clarett is 20, not 22.

Dphins4me said:
The kid from USC Kenechi Udeze who will be a top 15 pick, is a just turned 21 year old (03/05/83)

The NFL is opening their arms to him, while a man who will turn 22 in a few more months is being told. You are not ready for the NFL. You are only a Soph. in college.

Clarett is 20, not 22.

Jimmy James said:
Hey, we have misinformed opinions about your line of work, too. :tongue:

Seriously, the only point I'd like to make is that the insanity quite often starts before the lawyers ever get involved. It's not like the people in the profession I hope to join actually seek these situations out or try to create them. I'm not saying you should weep for the lawyers, but try to put yourself in the shoes of the people they represent. If you were in the shoes a guy like Clarett is in, wouldn't you want to know somebody was willing to zealously represent your interests? Clarett is the one who screwed his situation up so badly -- his lawyer is basically just doing damage control in the best ethical way possible.

:sosad: Well sure we Paramedic have a bad reputation, to be sure, in some circles. :evil: However , the insanity started it ends the same with the lawyers cleaning up. Hey i guess we are both garbage men at some times in our chosen professions. I just would hope that ethics would be as important to a lawyer as it is a Paramedic. I am sure it is in some circles. However they never made a movie called "The Devils Advocate"about Paramedics. LOL! To quote my dad, here is my opinion on Clarrett,"You cna't polish a turd"
Dolfanreal69

eltos_lightfoot said:
Clarett is 20, not 22.
Correct, the web site I pulled his date of birth had it listed as 82, instead of 83.

I hope they get in so that Evans will be there for us at 20.

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom