Mike Williams and Clarett could be in the draft after all... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike Williams and Clarett could be in the draft after all...

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
There will always be problems with every rule. The one the NFL has is one of the most fair they can come up with, to protect the integrity of the NFL and to protect young people who are not ready for the nfl.

I still stand by my prediction that Clarett would not be drafted in the first 3 rounds. He is too much of a risk.

I think you hit upon exactly what upsets me so much about this situation: even beyond any legal arguments, I feel that this is a bad rule because it doesn't really do anything. I feel an age rule or preferably an entrance exam or exams would serve the purpose that the NFL claims in a far more effective manner.

As to Clarett himself, I'm not positive that he even goes drafted whenever this finishes. He has done nothing to impress anybody for over a year. I might bring him in for a look as a FA, but I know I wouldn't be considering him if I were a GM.

plc001 said:
What a rediculous arguement. The NFL rules are across the board, they are the same for everyone. There exist no prejudice here.

It's more similar to the age requirement to get a job. Which I think is 14 or 15. Dag on, why don't you fight that, you know employ your toddler so he can get an early start on what it means to be responsible. Oh wait, that's rediculous too huh. Unlike age limits for the concern of the individual and quality of the game.

This is not an age limit by any stretch of the imagination. The rule doesn't care if you get to the magical "3" at 18 or at 25.

There is a prejudice here: a man who has not lived for three years after his graduation is not fit for us. They are pre-judging everyone in the category of "less than 3 years", which is exactly what prejudice means.

If you seriously cannot distinguish child welfare laws from this situation between adults, I don't believe I have much more to say to you.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
Not only do I not think it promotes highschoolers graduating early, I also think it is not the NFL's responsibility to make sure people graduate highschool on time. If you can graduate highschool early to get into college, more power to you. I also don't see many people getting into college with their GED, and if the practice becomes common, it would most likely be shut down by the NCAA.

One more thing about this: I find it interesting that you bring up the NCAA because I wonder how a lawsuit that claimed there was collusion between the NCAA and the NFL would work out. I would imagine that a decision to reinstate Mike Williams even though he has hired an agent would only strengthen any case that could be made. Of course, I'm making an assumption that there is no NCAA precedent for such a reinstatement. Does anybody happen to know about that?

This is going to be my last response for a bit on this topic. You may begin the celebration any time now...

ckparrothead said:
Ruth Bader Ginzburg has accepted the case presented by Clarett's lawyer, and has demanded the NFL present their written arguments by tomorrow morning. She can rule on it after reading Clarett's and the NFL's written arguments and by the looks of it plans to rule before the NFL draft.

I am guessing that she will overturn this newest ruling and allow Williams and Clarett to enter the draft.

This is good news for those who would like us to take a WR in the draft. Actually at the very least it means one of the top 19 players will fall to #20 so no matter what position we were thinking its still good news.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1786876

i'm all for it, either way. but the funny thing is that this has to happen fast, as in right now. So, how come is it that cases like these can be heard now and others are on the back burner for eons. Seems to me that everyone with an axe to grind should have to get in line and wait til their turn. Jusy mO but I'm sure there are "other cases" with some sort of deadline also.

DeDolfan said:
i'm all for it, either way. but the funny thing is that this has to happen fast, as in right now. So, how come is it that cases like these can be heard now and others are on the back burner for eons. Seems to me that everyone with an axe to grind should have to get in line and wait til their turn. Jusy mO but I'm sure there are "other cases" with some sort of deadline also.

It just goes to show that power and influence can do wonders. I understand where you're coming from, but I can just imagine how unpopular the Court would have been if it decided to hear the NFL's appeal on any sort of normal schedule. At some point, even our judicial system has to bow to popular opinion.

dolfanreal69 said:
These younger guys like Clarrett, clearly are not mature enough,IMO to come in and compete with grown men. However if a team is dumb enough to draft them i say so be it! Dolfanreal69
Clarett will turn 22 this year. The average age of most 4 year college graduates.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
I don't think it is agism or something like that. It is a rule that states you need 3 years of experience after highschool. Should I sue Microsoft because I want to be a VP, even though I don't have 10 years experience?
Are you qualified to be VP of Microsoft? If so, then how would you like it if they said you had to be 55 before you could be VP, because it is in your best interest not to be a VP until then. If you had all the qualification to do the job other than one based on discrimination then I highly doubt you would accept that asinine criteria.

It is obvious that Clarett & Williams are qualified to play in the NFL.

Its not someone elses right to look out for what is your best interest.

The only reason the NFL does not want this is simply money. They do not have to develop their next work force. Colleges do that. The NFL has nothing at risk here.

I disagree. I think the NFL knows it would ruin a lot of people's careers.

Clarrett isn't ready for the NFL. It is obvious by how serious he took the NFL combine.

I think this is more about the players union agreement, not about an age issue...the players union has a right to "protect" their members...their stance is that these youngster would be taking roster spots from aging vets and mediocre players, STers, etc... (I say that because there are only a few of these kids that will have an impact. M. Williams is an exception, but he has played 2 years. M. Clarrett will be suing the NFL, NFLPA in 10 years when he is sitting in the streets, homeless because he doesn't have any skill to get a job with...(IMHO), which is really sad...

I still feel that the entire setup with the NFL and NCAA is far better for the PLAYERS than the baseball minor league system and the CBA in basketball...I say keep it in place...look at how many football programs benefit the rest of the school's cirriculum in the NCAA...

LarryFinFan said:
look at how many football programs benefit the rest of the school's cirriculum in the NCAA...

Well, since you opened this door:

The relationship between football and universities isn't nearly that simple. There are schools like Miami or Notre Dame that get great benefits from the team, but it is a gigantic expense for other schools. That's right -- it actually takes money away from other things the schools could be doing. We're talking about smaller schools here as well as the ones that don't have those meaty TV/bowl revenue deals. Other schools that are worthy of attention for academics don't get recognition simply beause they refuse to field a football team.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
I disagree. I think the NFL knows it would ruin a lot of people's careers.

Clarrett isn't ready for the NFL. It is obvious by how serious he took the NFL combine.

Why should the NFL have the right to act as my parent when they apparently don't have any other responsibility to me according to what you have said? If they implement a policy that leads to the conclusion I should shortcut my high school education, they have no responsibility. Why should they have any when the decision isn't shortcutting high school but is instead deciding to declare for their draft?

The rule you're defending does nothing to keep Clarett out next year when he's still going to be the same idiot he is this year. Him taking the combine seriously or not has absolutely nothing to do with this issue.

The NFL has a right to defend it's product. If this rule goes down, what is to stop someone from suing the NFL to get rid of the draft?

Clarrett is just mad because the rules go against him in this instance.

This is materially different from the draft. The argument here is not that football has no antitrust exemption. It's that they're still subject to scrutiny. Creating a system to allocate potential employees is fundamentally different from excluding a player on arbitrary grounds. You never did answer the question I posed to you earlier, so I pose them again and expand a bit:

The league and the PA agree to bar Arab-Americans. Is this their perogative?
The league and the PA agree to bar those with green eyes. Is this their perogative?
The league and the PA agree to bar quarterbacks who throw with their left hand. Is this their perogative?
The league and the PA agree to bar kickers with "deformed" feet (think Tom Dempsey). Is this their perogative?

If you get through those, then I'd like you to distinguish this situation from the PGA Tour situation where the Tour and the golfers agreed that golf carts should be barred but a court stepped in to require the PGA allow Casey Martin a cart.

But we are dealing with RBG here, who is a staunch liberal judge and a Clinton appointee.

So let me get this straight, Ruth Bader Ginzberg makes a ruling that is directly contrary to the best interests of the NFL player's UNION, and its because she's a staunch flaming liberal?

I think rather you just happen to be a staunch flaming conservative who thinks the NFL should be able to keep restrictions of this nature, and so you are making the mistake of equating opinion contrary to your own with "liberal" :rolleyes:

Next time someone says to you that Vernon Carey is a better guard prospect than tackle prospect, or that Jay Fiedler can be a good NFL quarterback, apparently you must be thinking in your head "damn liberal"

It is only my opinion, but I think more than half of the arguments being made in this thread have absolutely no legal bearing yet we have an awwwweeful lot of wannabe lawyers in here.

Back
Top Bottom