Mike Williams HOF or Bust | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike Williams HOF or Bust

I've attended more than 50 USC games in the past 20+ years. Precisely one player caused the opponents to walk up to him en masse after the game and shake hands in awe and respect; Mike Williams.

Williams is a phenomenal athlete. He excels in basketball and many other sports. He has the best hands to come out of college in years. Too many people equate athletic ability to speed and quickness. When some schools were devaluing Williams to tight end coming out of high school, USC sent two assistants to watch every basketball game Williams played. They were convinced his hands, instincts, jumping ability and combativeness translated directly to WR, not TE. That will hold up at the pro level also, regardless of the difference in speed requirements. Not one time while watching Williams blitz opposing secondaries did I lament his lack of speed.

Come on, Oronde Gadsden can play WR and excel for several years but Mike Williams is a TE? That is base insulting. His frame and skills don't compare to Antonio Gates at all. They may look similar on paper but not close on the football field.

Why confuse the issue with these guys by discussing play on the actual field instead of workouts?!

unifiedtheory said:
I've been saying this for 5 months....Mike Williams is J.J. Stokes with a year off football.

In that case, I hope you've been calling Braylon Edwards Desmond Howard without the Heisman.

unifiedtheory said:
I've been saying this for 5 months....Mike Williams is J.J. Stokes with a year off football.

How can you even say that. J.J. Stokes can't jump, has no body control, and is quite a bit slower than Mike Williams.

Awsi Dooger said:
I've attended more than 50 USC games in the past 20+ years. Precisely one player caused the opponents to walk up to him en masse after the game and shake hands in awe and respect; Mike Williams.

Williams is a phenomenal athlete. He excels in basketball and many other sports. He has the best hands to come out of college in years. Too many people equate athletic ability to speed and quickness. When some schools were devaluing Williams to tight end coming out of high school, USC sent two assistants to watch every basketball game Williams played. They were convinced his hands, instincts, jumping ability and combativeness translated directly to WR, not TE. That will hold up at the pro level also, regardless of the difference in speed requirements. Not one time while watching Williams blitz opposing secondaries did I lament his lack of speed.

Come on, Oronde Gadsden can play WR and excel for several years but Mike Williams is a TE? That is base insulting. His frame and skills don't compare to Antonio Gates at all. They may look similar on paper but not close on the football field.

That is stuff he can get away with at the college level, but he won't be able to gain separation at the NFL level. He simply lacks the suddenness to create the separation, and he won't stretch the field. But if you guys want to think he is a number one wide receiver, go ahead. You will be the ones sorely disappointed when he simply becomes a bigger version of Keyshawn Johnson in the NFL.

He would excell as a Shannon Sharpe type of tight end though.

KB21 said:
That is stuff he can get away with at the college level, but he won't be able to gain separation at the NFL level. He simply lacks the suddenness to create the separation, and he won't stretch the field. But if you guys want to think he is a number one wide receiver, go ahead. You will be the ones sorely disappointed when he simply becomes a bigger version of Keyshawn Johnson in the NFL.

He would excell as a Shannon Sharpe type of tight end though.

I might agree with you if I hadn't seen him so often in person. Watching the combine and workout 40s he looks like a one gear guy who can't burst. In person it's entirely different. I would have estimated him at 4.5 or slightly lower based on pure football speed.

Keyshawn is nowhere near the athlete Mike Williams is. I remember Keyshawn from my student days at USC. He was a skinny twerp who used to hang around the 'SC practice field, Howard Jones Memorial Field, as a ballboy when he was maybe 12 years old. Once he made fun of me for wearing a mesh football-type jersey while I watched practice. "You ain't no player! I've seen you here before. You ain't no player!" I thought he was a jerk and would probably end up in a gang, but a few of the prominent players took him under their wing.

At best a#2 WR in my opinion. I to think he falls far on draft day!

Mike Williams will go no lower than #5. Mark my words. The two guys that Tampa Bay have been targeting all along are Ronnie Brown and Mike Williams. If Ronnie goes to us before then, the Bucs will definitely take Mike Williams (not Carnell). Everyone agrees that Mike Williams would be great as a weak side receiver in the West Coast offense, which is precisely what Gruden runs. I also wouldn't be surprised to see him go #3 to Cleveland if Braylon goes #2 to us. These analysts can say all they want...we haven't heard anything to suggest that Mike Williams isn't very high on everyone's board. Lots of GMs have remarked how they marvel at this guy.
He will go somewhere between #3-#5, depending on where Braylon Edwards is taken. Cle, Chi, and TB all need big play guys, and Mike Williams represents the best VALUE at that position, which is what all those teams are looking for.

I have said all along that I think of Mike Williams as a Keshawn clone(minus the mouth). He is big, has enough speed and will be a terror in the red zone. Will he be a HOFer.. probably not. Will he be out of the league no way. I also don't think he will be a TE in 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom