MLB's - Any worthwhile prospects? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MLB's - Any worthwhile prospects?

This draft looks solid for LB and Oline with many good but not great players, our biggest needs apart from CB.
If we cant land CB Hargreaves or DE Bosa with pick 4-7, then go for Raglund or trade down a few spots to get another pick.

As of right now it looks like we will be picking around 5-8. As much as soooo many people on this board have loved Patrick Willis, this will be our chance to get our version of him in Jaylon Smith from ND. He is your prototypical 3 down linebacker. Put this guy behind Suh and Phillips and watch him earn DROY. I think he's that good. Sideline to Sideline, incredible pop, probably the best of all the lb's coming out in the draft in coverage. This should be our guy.

How does Jaylon Smith compare to Luke Kuechly as a pro prospect??? Does he have a similar ceiling? Any major flaws in his game that stand out? Taking a LB as high as the top 5 and in the top 10 in general is rich, but if you are getting a player comparable to Kuechly it's more than worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
How does Jaylon Smith compare to Luke Kuechly as a pro prospect??? Does he have a similar ceiling? Any major flaws in his game that stand out? Taking a LB as high as the top 5 and in the top 5 in general is rich, but if you are getting a player comparable to Kuechly it's more than worth it.

Well Patrick Willis and Kuechly are both similar types of LB's. Kuechly is just a younger version of him. Jaylon Smith fits that mold to me. There isn't a major knock on him. Is there room for improvement in some areas, of course, that is the case with all players coming out of college.

Areas to be improved..

When Jaylon Smith is on the attack he’s hard to beat. If you’re reading that phrase and you’ve remembered it from earlier than well done, you’re paying attention. The linebacker position is one that is constantly on the attack, however on run plays and designed screens it’s the linebackers who have to fend off the opposing blockers to get towards the ball carrier. While it’s not a major issue of Smith’s it has been something that I’ve noticed in watching film on him. He’s lighter than most linebackers that play in the middle as he’s only 235 pounds. That weight and only being 6’2 means that if a lineman gets his hands on him and starts driving he’s at their mercy. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him on a weight program to add another 10 pounds or so to his frame.

http://nflmocks.com/2015/12/07/2016-nfl-draft-scouting-report-jaylon-smith-lb-notre-dame/

That is the most recent scouting report I can find on Smith. Read the whole article though, it really sheds some good information about it.

Smith isn't as good at sifting through the trash as kuechly. Also gets hung up by blockers with that frame - like that report said. Why a lot of people project him on the outside IMO. He can play anywhere in a 4-3 so versatility is a huge plus. But let's not say he's the best in coverage. Jack is better - has been since he was a freshman. Also think moore could give him a run for the $ in that dept.

The good news is this class has a lot of mikes that can come in and contribute right away. This isn't like last year where it was kendricks or bust. Don't have to go all in on smith

Last edited by a moderator:
Smith isn't as good as sifting through the trash as kuechly. Also gets hung up by blockers with that frame - like that report said. Why a lot of people project him on the outside IMO. He can play anywhere in a 4-3 so versatility is a huge plus. But let's not say he's the best in coverage. Jack is better - has been since he was a freshman. Also think moore could give him a run for the $ in that dept.

The good news is this class has a lot of mikes that can come in and contribute right away. This isn't like last year where it was kendricks or bust. Don't have to go all in on smith

I agree with this. I think that Smith is an absolute stud and the best in the class by a good margin, but it's a very deep class, with a lot of guys who could be good NFL starters.

Back
Top Bottom