More 1st down stupidity. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

More 1st down stupidity.

Disgustipate

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
Of Ricky's 36 carries, according to the Palm Beach Post, *20* of them came on 1st down. Good job, Norv Wannstedt. They're now not to be regarded as two different entities. They are a single non-thinking carbon based being.

I really wouldnt be amazed if 90% of Ricky's yardage came from those 16 non 1st down carries.

It was done by design yesterday....(clock management) .

I do hope that they change that down the line and throw HIGH percentage passes on first down. (swing passes, TE/ WR screens.)

I just ran down the play-by-play and added it up.....believe it or not, Ricky got 66 yards, or 63% of his total, on those 20 first down carries.

Originally posted by Ross
Then it was a sound decision to run him on 1st down?

Were you asking me? I don't really have an opinion, I was just presenting a statistical fact. Personally, I don't really care how the Dolphins run the offense as long as they win.

I still don't agree with any known running down. Alternate alot, confuse your opponents. I am all in favor of safe first down passes, especially if Fiedler plays. That OL got 45 yards on 11 carries, far better than what the crappy starting OL got.

I was really asking anyone interested in Answering. It's hard to argue against those stats. But in the end, I feel the same as you I guess. I don't care how's it done, just win....

Originally posted by DolphinzD
I just ran down the play-by-play and added it up.....believe it or not, Ricky got 66 yards, or 63% of his total, on those 20 first down carries.
And 38 of those 66 yards came on 3 of those first down plays. So the rest of them were a very unimpresseive 17 carries for 28 yards. Though, going through the play-by-play, the first down passes didn't look any better.

If Fiedler plays he can do the short passes very well though so we can go with this game plan. The younger OL did a fine job yesterday. If Yates can stop the penalties than we should do ok. Minor needs atleast 8 carries a game and two receptions.

Originally posted by Disgustipate
Of Ricky's 36 carries, according to the Palm Beach Post, *20* of them came on 1st down. Good job, Norv Wannstedt. They're now not to be regarded as two different entities. They are a single non-thinking carbon based being.

I really wouldnt be amazed if 90% of Ricky's yardage came from those 16 non 1st down carries.

Help me out here, i know I ain't the sharpest tack in the box, but how did we have 20 runs on first down [let alone any passes] when the stats show that we had only 19 total first downs all game. That don't cipher up right to me !!! :lol:

Re: Re: More 1st down stupidity.

Originally posted by DeDolfan

Help me out here, i know I ain't the sharpest tack in the box, but how did we have 20 runs on first down [let alone any passes] when the stats show that we had only 19 total first downs all game. That don't cipher up right to me !!! :lol:

LOL...good point.

Here is the breakdown in order:

1-10-MIA20 R.Williams up the middle to MIA 25 for 5 yards
1-10-MIA41 B.Griese pass incomplete to R.McMichael
1-10-MIA25 R.Williams right guard to MIA 29 for 4 yards
1-10-MIA37 R.Williams right tackle to MIA 40 for 3 yards
1-10-50 R.Williams up the middle to BLT 49 for 1 yard
1-10-BAL39 T.Minor right guard to BLT 41 for -2 yards
1-10-BAL23 R.Williams up the middle to BLT 22 for 1 yard
1-10-BAL12 B.Griese pass to J.McKnight to BLT 6 for 6 yards
1-10-MIA20 R.Williams left guard to MIA 22 for 2 yards
1-10-MIA39 R.Williams right tackle to MIA 41 for 2 yards
1-10-50 R.Williams up the middle to BLT 49 for 1 yard
1-10-MIA2 T.Minor right guard to MIA 2 for no gain
1-10-MIA20 R.Williams left end ran ob at MIA 31 for 11 yards
1-10-MIA31 B.Griese pass incomplete to C.Chambers.
1-10-50 R.Williams right end to BLT 39 for 11 yards
1-10-BAL39 B.Griese pass incomplete to D.Thompson.
1-10-MIA47 R.Williams up the middle to MIA 46 for -1 yards
1-10-MIA19 R.Williams up the middle to MIA 18 for -1 yards
1-10-MIA31 B.Griese pass to R.Williams ran ob at MIA 38 for 7 yards
1-10-BAL47 B.Griese pass to R.Williams to BLT 38 for 9 yards
1-10-BAL34 T.Minor right guard to BLT 32 for 2 yards
1-10-BAL43 R.Williams up the middle to BLT 44 for -1 yards
1-10-MIA20 B.Griese pass to R.Konrad ran ob at MIA 29 for 9 yards.
1-10-MIA33 B.Griese pass incomplete to D.Thompson.
1-10-MIA47 R.Williams right guard to 50 for 3 yards
1-10-BAL43 R.Williams left tackle to BLT 43 for no gain
1-10-BAL33 R.Williams right guard to BLT 30 for 3 yards
1-10-MIA20 R.Williams up the middle to MIA 23 for 3 yards
1-10-MIA20 R.Williams right tackle to MIA 36 for 16 yards
1-10-MIA36 R.Williams right tackle to MIA 37 for 1 yard
1-10-BAL46 B.Griese pass incomplete to C.Chambers.
1-10-BAL33 R.Williams left guard to BLT 32 for 1 yard

32 Plays on first down:

20 RW (65 Yards Rushing)
9 BG (31 Yards passing - 16 to RW)
3 TM (0 yards)

Last edited by a moderator:
1st downs after scores, TO, begining of halfs are not counted in the stat book for 1st downs. First down stats are first downs 'earned' either by passing, running, or through a penality...

Norv Turner had Griese set up for success against the 2nd bets defense in the NFL.. Norv Turner had Ricky run on 1st down many times and had some deep pass plays set up with Ricky's success.. griese, like, Fiedler, could not connect on the deep passes to Chambers who had a fantastic day having the Ravens secondary running with their heads cut off..

Miami still lacks a QB who can connect deep.. That is the downfall

Back
Top Bottom